Drawbacks to enclosure too big or too small. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-22-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I ask this because I've always wondered if I'm missing out on anything from having my two 15 inch titanic mk III each in a 2.0cu foot enclosure, I've always seen parts-express selling these with 3.0cu enclosures, but yet I've read somewhere that those subs are ideal in a size closer to 2.0cu feet.

Now I know the difference between having a sub sealed and ported but not too big or too small sealed or ported.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-22-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by dece870717 View Post

I ask this because I've always wondered if I'm missing out on anything from having my two 15 inch titanic mk III each in a 2.0cu foot enclosure, I've always seen parts-express selling these with 3.0cu enclosures, but yet I've read somewhere that those subs are ideal in a size closer to 2.0cu feet.

Now I know the difference between having a sub sealed and ported but not too big or too small sealed or ported.

In a nutshell, it affects extension, output, FR, and excursion. I haven't modeled these; but 2' is a pretty small enclosure. They'll take more power this way, but at the expense of extension. Are you eq'ing them in any way?

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #3 of 4 Old 02-22-2014, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

In a nutshell, it affects extension, output, FR, and excursion. I haven't modeled these; but 2' is a pretty small enclosure. They'll take more power this way, but at the expense of extension. Are you eq'ing them in any way?

No eq'ing done besides on my my ported 15 inch ultimax that I have in a 5.8cu foot enclosure tuned to 20hz. I use that sub mostly to help with the low end. According to rew my responses are fairly acceptable except for 35-40hz which ends up being about 4db-8db higher than most other frequencies, has something to do with the room since in another room i've never had that problem.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-22-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
You get best results from the Titanic in 4 cu ft, giving a 38Hz f3. 2 cu ft gives a 41Hz f3, but more significant is that the 4 cu ft box will have 2dB higher output across the board below 40Hz.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page