AVS Forum banner

Fatshaft’s Tux 1099 build…

68K views 733 replies 82 participants last post by  Fatshaft 
#1 ·
1st. This will be slow…will be back at work Monday from knee surgery and need mother nature to calm the f..k down a little for me to get some work done.

As usual..Erich packaging is overkill/impeccable.

Everything is super well packed and all pieces are intact.

Received the 4 boxes (2 towers and 1 center kit) yesterday and went to pick them up in the USA, paid $185.00 duty taxes !!! and drove back home (30 minutes away)

Today opened up the boxes so I can start putting the crossover together and have 2 probelms.

1. I received 17 ports so 1 is missing.

2. Opened all 3 crossover parts boxes and no instructions

Are there any instructions that come with these kits?

The plan was to start building the crossovers today but can't.

Erich, can you please send me the instructions on how to mount the Crossovers?

Thanks

Some pictures in the meanwhile

I've been waiting for these to be available ever since I first saw them and am really looking forward to hear them...

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H  /t/1519278/fatshaft-s-tux-1099-build#post_24395222

It wasn't because of the price.

Long story short: I'm not sure how to set this kit up right now, or what to do with the parts I currently have.

If I were you, I'd just offer two options

1) Complete kit (as you were planning on doing)

2) bare bones kit (CD/waveguide/baffle) to accommodate those that jumped the gun and pre-ordered parts at PE.

If you just want to do bare bones, then sell #1 till you are out of stock. If you just want to sell complete kits, offer #2 for those who contact you early (now) and once that is resolved, close that hole.

If people are missing a part here or there, they can order it from PE. This should cover most everyone. The only way to make everyone happy is to make you go insane or lose money trying to make up for things. You are already doing us a service, don't make it a nightmare on yourself

#28 ·
Wow Erich, that's sad

With all the trouble you go through I'd only make them available as kits.

Anyways I am grateful I got these and am looking forward to give my feedback but with that said I apologize in advance to everyone as these will not be done for a while but I can't wait !

#30 ·
Designs spread fast I guess. Obviously not all the emails were about these specific kits, just some. It started to be too much, so I took a couple kits down for now.

Keep in mind not everyone gets mad about it being hard to break things up and they fully understand once I explain how the costs are figured. I have no problem doing a couple kits that way, but once they start adding up, it slows things down and mistakes happen.

It will all get figured out, I'm just not exactly sure how to list them right now.

Either way, on with the build!

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez  /t/1519278/fatshaft-s-tux-1099-build#post_24395286

If I were you, I'd just offer two options

1) Complete kit (as you were planning on doing)

2) bare bones kit (CD/waveguide/baffle) to accommodate those that jumped the gun and pre-ordered parts at PE.

If you just want to do bare bones, then sell #1 till you are out of stock. If you just want to sell complete kits, offer #2 for those who contact you early (now) and once that is resolved, close that hole.

If people are missing a part here or there, they can order it from PE. This should cover most everyone. The only way to make everyone happy is to make you go insane or lose money trying to make up for things. You are already doing us a service, don't make it a nightmare on yourself

I completely agree with this. Just like all the other kits on the site. Order it the way it's put together or figure it out yourself through PE, etc.

#37 ·
Good luck Fat and I'm just gonna give Erich yet another praise for his outstanding contributions to this community!

Fat. You mentioned how slow its going to be about half dozen times, just throwing out a suggestion here but if you don't have a kreg kit get one as I see you doing more builds in the future. It is by far the fastest/most accurate "type" of joining system which truly makes the work much much easier and faster. Once you get the hang of using it in an efficient manner (lease amount of joint screws) it makes building simple enclosures a breeze to fly through. I use glue with my screws as well and still only takes a second. There are other similar kits but the kreg is accurate enough when use their clamps to keep the boards perfectly square. Making jigs/stops/guides are all also something that speeds up the process of doing builds. I'd suggest one kit plus a couple of each clamp and you're good to go other than the depth of screws which you'll need depending on what thickness the boards you're working with are.

I use it along with PL with great results. Of course 10-30 different style/length rod/pole style clamps are always handy but for many that only do one or two builds they can get expensive if want enough to plow through a build. For others a couple will do and complete the build in multiple steps.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic  /t/1519278/fatshaft-s-tux-1099-build/30#post_24396270

Good luck Fat and I'm just gonna give Erich yet another praise for his outstanding contributions to this community!

Fat. You mentioned how slow its going to be about half dozen times, just throwing out a suggestion here but if you don't have a kreg kit get one as I see you doing more builds in the future. It is by far the fastest/most accurate "type" of joining system which truly makes the work much much easier and faster. Once you get the hang of using it in an efficient manner (lease amount of joint screws) it makes building simple enclosures a breeze to fly through. I use glue with my screws as well and still only takes a second. There are other similar kits but the kreg is accurate enough when use their clamps to keep the boards perfectly square. Making jigs/stops/guides are all also something that speeds up the process of doing builds. I'd suggest one kit plus a couple of each clamp and you're good to go other than the depth of screws which you'll need depending on what thickness the boards you're working with are.

I use it along with PL with great results. Of course 10-30 different style/length rod/pole style clamps are always handy but for many that only do one or two builds they can get expensive if want enough to plow through a build. For others a couple will do and complete the build in multiple steps.

Which Kreg jig are you referring to? The one for the pocket holes?

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1519278/fatshaft-s-tux-1099-build/30#post_24397216

Pocket holes on an MDF speaker cab? Never tried it. I would be worried the MDF would blow out, no? I've never done a pocket hole even in hardwood so I don't have a clue.
Ive done it in hard and softwood, but wouldnt do it in MDF. It'd tear out too easily. Sure, you could pre-treat the hole with a wood hardener, but then you give up the whole point of pocket holes (well one of them: fast).

#42 ·
No. I've tried it on 3/4" mdf and wouldn't recommend it as the single purpose of fastening for sure but it does work as far as assembly without the need for extra hands. Glue will be the key just like when using nailer but pocket screws make it easier in general when working by yourself. Just use one screw every 8" or so with dab of glue in hole before placing screw in place. And yes blowouts are very possible if go too deep at all with all woods!!!!

I'm guessing these kits are mdf now? Sorry Fat, maybe not a good idea to use on your first pocket hole jointery project if is mdf but if the drill clutch works and you make correct hole depths then there wouldn't be any issues for the most part.

A link in this thread to Kreg's suggestions for screws with mdf

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?107415-Pocket-holes-and-MDF

#43 ·
Hey AVH,

Thanks for the tips but I have no garage and also have no more storage space in my house...so no more tools for me.

I've always worked with limited tools and will probably forever.

Moving on...today was a busy day with Canada playing for the gold so get together at friends place to watch the game

and enjoy each others company.

Then went to HD to pickup 2 sheets of 4x8 3/4" MDF and made all my cuts for the this build.

There's 6x 13"x36.25" - 6x 12.5"x36.25" and 12x 11"x13"

All will be put together with screws and PL (my favorite despite lots of you hating this stuff)

WVU80,

A big thumbs up to you for those links...it's really going to help me when I tackle the xovers. Just did not have time today.

#45 ·
#46 ·
Fat, my mentioning was nothing more than an extremely small jig that helps connect the cabinets together without 4-5,6 hands holding things in place for you. It wasn't a tool so to speak by any means. I'm sure you've heard of the kit before so won't elaborate.

How do you attach the sides together now, and how long does it take you to assemble say 4 sides? Only reason I brought it up was because of the time you quoted on getting them together. If use finish nailer then this step up is tremendous since the nailers only hold the boards together "without movement" before the nails start moving.

If you understand both jointing then you're fine with which ever you're more comfortable witch

Good luck and awaiting your completion so just trying to make life as simple ad possible.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft  /t/1519278/fatshaft-s-tux-1099-build/0_50#post_24399194

Moving on...today was a busy day with Canada playing for the gold so get together at friends place to watch the game

and enjoy each others company.

Then went to HD to pickup 2 sheets of 4x8 3/4" MDF and made all my cuts for the this build.

There's 6x 13"x36.25" - 6x 12.5"x36.25" and 12x 11"x13"

All will be put together with screws and PL (my favorite despite lots of you hating this stuff)

WVU80,

A big thumbs up to you for those links
...it's really going to help me when I tackle the xovers. Just did not have time today.
No problem, my Canadian friend.

AND..congratulations for the big hockey Olympic GOLD!
I don't mind telling you, I always root for Canada in the Olympics in hockey. The US has football and baseball, but hockey is important in Canada, and frankly, I love it when you win!

And you have a great national anthem as well. Here's to your great country, and ours, America the Beautiful/O Canada with about 1,000 world class brass players, Drum Corps International.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic  /t/1519278/fatshaft-s-tux-1099-build/0_50#post_24400009

Fat, my mentioning was nothing more than an extremely small jig that helps connect the cabinets together without 4-5,6 hands holding things in place for you. It wasn't a tool so to speak by any means. I'm sure you've heard of the kit before so won't elaborate.

How do you attach the sides together now, and how long does it take you to assemble say 4 sides? Only reason I brought it up was because of the time you quoted on getting them together. If use finish nailer then this step up is tremendous since the nailers only hold the boards together "without movement" before the nails start moving.

If you understand both jointing then you're fine with which ever you're more comfortable witch

Good luck and awaiting your completion so just trying to make life as simple ad possible.

I saw some videos on the Kreg jigs and absolutely awesome tool...I'm not a tool guy and far from it.

I hate tools actually...I borrow everything I need from my Brother in law...he's a tool guy!

Thanks for the help but you're right...I start my boxes by dry fit and pre-drill some screwing holes with the help of my son.

Then take a part and PL and screw, actually goes pretty fast.

I work stupid but it works for me.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80  /t/1519278/fatshaft-s-tux-1099-build/0_50#post_24400254

No problem, my Canadian friend.

AND..congratulations for the big hockey Olympic GOLD!
I don't mind telling you, I always root for Canada in the Olympics in hockey. The US has football and baseball, but hockey is important in Canada, and frankly, I love it when you win!

Awesome!!!

Ya us Canadians expect the Gold when it comes to hockey.

We sure do have a powerhouse of talent in Hockey. It's our religion up here...

Heck every time we have a team selection for Canada, we have controversy of who did NOT make the team Canada!

#49 ·
#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft  /t/1519278/fatshaft-s-tux-1099-build/30#post_24400717

I saw some videos on the Kreg jigs and absolutely awesome tool...I'm not a tool guy and far from it.

I definitely recommend the Kreg Jig. If you only have to have a couple of tools and build speaker boxes, the Kreg is one to have.

#640 ·
Tux,

Below is a quick dry fit on how I intend to do these...
Will this work fine?
Inside dimensions are 11x11x13 in each cab give or take

Thanks
I just orderded my 1099s but wanted to start on my Cabs this weekend how far from the bottom and top are the mid dividers? did they remain 11x11x13?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.