Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #601 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 716
I don't want or need it pitch black with my TV. I can see my speakers. I'm not saying others have to have it that way but I don't see the point of finishing speakers that I don't see. My speakers are nicer looking then duratex IMHO. I also don't get distracted by inukes orange lights. Its just me, not trying to sway others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

When the lights are turned off and you're enjoying a movie how much are you enjoying seeing the speakers?....lol

J,

i know your comment was directed at donny, but I completely get where donny is coming from. Whether im watching a movie or just walking through my HT room, for me there is an awesome feeling i get seeing my room, ready for duty.  

Same thing happens when im watching a good bass flick and i can see all the subs hammering, and my damn house feels like it's about break, yet i know the subs arent even close to their limits yet.  

here's something else id compare it to.....a sexy 60's era muscle car.  Don't you love seeing the engine - chrome, supercharger, nice spark plug wires, etc.... 

: )

Link 1: All 3 Marty subs done, 6 week journey! Link 2: Quick Irule review with pics
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...k-journey.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-rem...ing-about.html
post #603 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Much better said kevings. But I understand people who want the clean look of at . both are great.smile.gif
post #604 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

I thought I'd post my finished 1099's.
This is how it will finally play out.

I've placed them on my former surrounds to lift them a little off the front stage floor.
The CD is a little over ear height when I'm sitting and they sound AWESOME!
I've also raised my screen by approx. 8" and so I raised my center by that same amount too and it made a pretty decent difference in my center channel sound.
I had a major dip in the 100-200HZ region which helped tremendously.

I am now experimenting how to finish the front.
I am now considering covering all the front wall with insulation and building a screen of Spandex (white) for my screen.
All fun so I'll see what it gives.

Is that Roxul in the corners and laying behind the subs? Did you cut triangles for corners.

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #605 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

I don't want or need it pitch black with my TV. I can see my speakers. I'm not saying others have to have it that way but I don't see the point of finishing speakers that I don't see. My speakers are nicer looking then duratex IMHO. I also don't get distracted by inukes orange lights. Its just me, not trying to sway others.

My point is though are you concerned with looking at your speakers or enjoying the movie.....lol

An AT screen just adds another totally different dimension to the "home theater" experience. Going to an AT from the standard screen that I had was one of my favourite upgrades, everyone of my friends that had watched movies with my old setup have all said the same thing "the AT screen is awesome".

My only regret was not doing it from the very start, but I guess the good thing is at least I can now say that I've had lots if experience with both types of setups.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #606 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I watch a tonne of sports,TV and movies. Watching champions league right now. Remember my home theater is upstairs, back of house with nice view, lots of light ( curtains closed but bright). We listen to music on the deck with a beverage every sunny night. A totally different experience then a bunker style basement theater. Not better, just different.
post #607 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:

I watch a tonne of sports,TV and movies. Watching champions league right now. Remember my home theater is upstairs, back of house with nice view, lots of light ( curtains closed but bright). We listen to music on the deck with a beverage every sunny night. A totally different experience then a bunker style basement theater. Not better, just different.

You have a totally different situation though, you have an open media area not a dedicated room. My comments are directed at Fatshafts who clearly has a dedicated room with a front stage and everything. That type of setup begs for a AT screen IMHO. I think most would agree too.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #608 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 98
jbrown,

I've thought about AT hard and long...I love the look of an AT screen and I've decided not to do it for a couple of reasons.
1. I would be too close to the screen...I'm already close enough.
2. I listen to alot of music with the lights on and want to see my speakers. (Boy am I glad I did this cause the 1099's are a treat to look at wink.gif

Please don't get me wrong...I love how the AT looks and yes when watching a movie, I just want to see the screen.
I can tell you that I do not see (hardly) my speakers while a movie is playing. (I'm too focused on the screen)

I am super interested in this linacoustic, vapor barrier and linacoustic again setup.
I could do that and then just put a screen up.
Of course all will be covered up with a black material once all done.

I would probably loose around 4 to 6 inches I guess? That much already bothers me.
I don't want to be to close to the screen...I already feel I'm at the limit.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion...I'm sure just covering the entire front wall with Roxul would make a good difference

Regards,
post #609 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey fat,
How much TV do you watch ? Me with sports and TV shows I watch with the wife and kids too it is a lot more then movie watching. I'd say 4 to 1 TV to movies.
post #610 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

Is that Roxul in the corners and laying behind the subs? Did you cut triangles for corners.

Yes it is, I just placed a 2x4 at a 45degree angle to act as a bass trap.
Did tests and that's probably how I'm going to finish it.

Right now I'm considering doing bass traps with pink stuff and add a 2x4 roxul at a 45degree angle top to bottom.
For the entire front wall. I'll probably go roxul R13 top to bottom.
Build a screen and hang it up.

I just need to know more about this Spandex screen and then do it. I posted in the screens section and hope to find out more...I'm a total noobie with screens.

What I know is this....many years ago I tried a Firehawk screen and compared it to a painted wall and did NOT see the $1000 difference.
What I like about the Spandex is "it's CHEAP!"
post #611 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey fat,
How much TV do you watch ? Me with sports and TV shows I watch with the wife and kids too it is a lot more then movie watching. I'd say 4 to 1 TV to movies.

Very little TV..99% movies.
I MOSTLY use my projector for viewing movies...when listening to music I remote desktop to the HTPC and have my projector OFF.

PS. I've been watching Hockey on my screen now. wink.gif
PS2. When watching TV (ex: SOA, Survivor, Walking dead, etc...) We watch 50% in my bedroom (55"TV) and 50% in the HT Room.
post #612 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

When the lights are turned off and you're enjoying a movie how much are you enjoying seeing the speakers?....lol

The lights aren't always turned off. When I'm sitting in my room during the day or something I an see the speakers. So to me, and I'm sure a lot of other people as well, speaker aesthetics are important. I'd never put speakers behind a screen. If I built them myself, it'd be impossible for me to do it.
post #613 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

My point is though are you concerned with looking at your speakers or enjoying the movie.....lol

An AT screen just adds another totally different dimension to the "home theater" experience. Going to an AT from the standard screen that I had was one of my favourite upgrades, everyone of my friends that had watched movies with my old setup have all said the same thing "the AT screen is awesome".

My only regret was not doing it from the very start, but I guess the good thing is at least I can now say that I've had lots if experience with both types of setups.

I do see your point.....especially after seeing fellow forum member, ivan pino's dedicated theater room....it's so blacked out in there that the image is literally floating in a black abyss.  I loved his setup.  On the other hand, for me, seeing my system hammer away, adds to my enjoyment of the movie.  It must be some kind of psychological thing.

a few post up someone mentioned the dedicated room vs family living room / media area.... and i guess that is what it comes down to.  If i had a dedicated room an AT screen might be the route I'd go cause i think having a true cinema feel is awesome as well, but with my current setup it wouldn't really work.  Plus as someone else in here just mentioned....for me, it's hard to hide the speakers, especially the subs I DIY'd.  Put another way.....you get to sleep with Carmen Electra when she was in her prime, and right before you do though, lightning hits you in the face and takes away your vision permanently.  Would you still sleep with you her, of course you would...would you enjoy it as much though being blind?  Crazy example, yes i know, but Im having fun trying to explain my view. 

Link 1: All 3 Marty subs done, 6 week journey! Link 2: Quick Irule review with pics
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...k-journey.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-rem...ing-about.html
post #614 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

Quote:

Hey fat,

Very little TV..99% movies.
I MOSTLY use my projector for viewing movies...when listening to music I remote desktop to the HTPC and have my projector OFF.

PS. I've been watching Hockey on my screen now. wink.gif
PS2. When watching TV (ex: SOA, Survivor, Walking dead, etc...) We watch 50% in my bedroom (55"TV) and 50% in the HT Room.

BTW,..Nice Job on your speakers F.S , ...they look great all black !!
post #615 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post

BTW,..Nice Job on your speakers F.S , ...they look great all black !!

Thanks Randy...I appreciate it.
Big difference having them all black but did a before and after Frequency sweep and saw no difference with the Duratex on biggrin.gif
randyc1 likes this.
post #616 of 616 Old 05-24-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

When I run a sweep after 6 drinks I gain 5dbs of bass smile.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page