AVS Forum banner
970 views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  wjg01270 
#1 ·

I have another thread I started in the general home theater forum, but I am trying to get my sound system ironed out so I figured I'd post here to get specific advice on speakers.  I have had much helpful advice given to me that pointed to going the DIY route with speakers/sub to get the most bang for buck and have an upgrade path as I am simply building a budget friendly temporary setup until I can come up with the increased budget, skills, and time to build a dedicated theater.  I was pointed in the direction of diysoundgroup and also posted on their forum for advice before I make a purchase, but haven't gotten any replies, so I am reaching out to this community as I had such great feedback in my first thread.

Basic situation...10'x20'x7' room in basement that I will incorporate a 100-120" DIY AT screen into and would like to have a 5.1 system to start with the intention to eventually go to 7.2 or higher over the next couple years.  I have zero experience in DIY, so I would need to purchase the flatpacks as well as assembled crossovers.  Based on current availability and budget (

#2 ·
Nice to see you posting here.....TTT for this post as he already got an earfull from me about the benefits of DIY.

#4 ·
That isn't a very big room, and assuming you don't play at window-shattering levels, I'd probably go with

5x Fusion 6 MTM ( all vertical since you have AT screen)

These were just released but aren't quite ready for purchase, but should be in a couple weeks (estimate). They are small enough to work well with a 10' wide room which is on the smaller side

The flat packs aren't out yet (but soon) but will probably cost $25-30 each

So 5.0 system costs ($137+30)*5 = $835 + shipping + Assembled XO= ~ $975

Inuke NU1000DSP $200
Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" + flatpack $325

Total 975+200+325= BAM! $1500 :-D

This system should play pretty loud and clean, but if you want REALLY REALLY loud, go with bigger speakers like the anarchy MTM and a big ported sub. ...but this will cost more.

#8 ·
I find that a proper sub stage will add more to my viewing experience than surrounds do. If it were me I'd work on a 3.2 setup with that budget and add surrounds as you can afford them.

4 Dayton ultimax 15s with flatpack - $262 x 4 = $1048

Nu3000dsp- $279

3 fusion-6 - $97 x 3 = $291

Total $1618 just a tad over.

I would stack the subs so you have a pair of "JL Gotham" clones. Run them so each side of the amp would see 2 ohms and you'll get very decent output into the high teens. The 15" ultimax should be close to the 18" HO so you should be set on bass. Upgrade the mains to mtms if you have the funds.

If you want to save a little more you could drop the dsp and try to find a parts express coupon.

That's how I'd spend the money.

Dan

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez  /t/1520031/speaker-sub-recommendation#post_24418055

That isn't a very big room, and assuming you don't play at window-shattering levels, I'd probably go with

5x Fusion 6 MTM ( all vertical since you have AT screen)

These were just released but aren't quite ready for purchase, but should be in a couple weeks (estimate). They are small enough to work well with a 10' wide room which is on the smaller side

The flat packs aren't out yet (but soon) but will probably cost $25-30 each

So 5.0 system costs ($137+30)*5 = $835 + shipping + Assembled XO= ~ $975

Inuke NU1000DSP $200
Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" + flatpack $325

Total 975+200+325= BAM! $1500 :-D

This system should play pretty loud and clean, but if you want REALLY REALLY loud, go with bigger speakers like the anarchy MTM and a big ported sub. ...but this will cost more.
So I am in the process of ordering the inuke amp and just wondering what cables/wiring I will need to get the sub up an running as I have never created this kind of set up?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez  /t/1520031/speaker-sub-recommendation#post_24427073

The input on the inuke is XLR/TRS. If your receiver has RCA output, get a RCA to XLR cable.

The output of the inuke is speakon. You can either get a speakon cable or speakon connector and wire your own.
So speakon to banana plug to go from amp to sub?

Also, receiver I'm looking at has LFE listed for main zone pre-amp output?

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez  /t/1520031/speaker-sub-recommendation#post_24427073

The input on the inuke is XLR/TRS. If your receiver has RCA output, get a RCA to XLR cable.

The output of the inuke is speakon. You can either get a speakon cable or speakon connector and wire your own.
So I am looking at just getting the neutrik speakon connector and wiring my own cable, but the output on the amp says "locking-style professional speaker connectors" and I'm not sure which speakon connector to get, NL2FC, NL2FX, NL4FC, NL4FX, NL8FC or NL8FX?

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjg01270  /t/1520031/speaker-sub-recommendation/0_100#post_24445655

So I am looking at just getting the neutrik speakon connector and wiring my own cable, but the output on the amp says "locking-style professional speaker connectors" and I'm not sure which speakon connector to get, NL2FC, NL2FX, NL4FC, NL4FX, NL8FC or NL8FX?

either 2 or 4 pole would do. you would only need the 4pole model if running the bridged output.

I recommend the NL2FX for normal left rand right output (stereo?)

or NL4FX for a bridged mode output (aka all mono)

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjg01270  /t/1520031/speaker-sub-recommendation/0_100#post_24445718

Based on my (very small) understanding, I'd need to do bridged mono to get the most out of the sub, please correct me if I'm wrong.
mono/bridged would be just fine. NL4FX can do either option btw, they have screw terminals... just get some spares to make different cables when needed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.