Need 6-7 ft power cord for Peavey ipr2 7500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Well.......will have two Peavey ipr2 7500 amps in my possession by this weekend and have finally taken the one I have out of box checking length of power cord since I had my rack open last night.

So......the power cord is only approximately 3 ft long! lol. eek.gif

I have a Middle Atlantic ASX-R rack that pulls out of cabinet by 41 inches and then rotates to have access to rear. Needless to say, I'm way tooooooo short on power cable length.

Have a call into a local Guitar Center and the establishment was dumb-founded. Why I don't know......anyhow, Guitar Center plans to call Peavey directly since they could not find longer power cords in catalog.

Didn't expect this to be an issue ie figured amp would have 6 ft cord....but I guess not. What other solutions are there to correct such an issue. I don't really want to void five year warranty on Peavey......I won't even be doing a fan mod because amps will be outside room and are relatively quiet.

Appreciate the info and help.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Can't just use something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Outlet-Saver-Extension/dp/B005G7H0YG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393523653&sr=8-1&keywords=3ft+extension+cord

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #3 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

What other solutions are there to correct such an issue. I don't really want to void five year warranty on Peavey

This is a very complex problem, with a very complex answer, and the answer is.................................................................................................................................................................... ................................................................................................................. .............................................................. .................................................... ................................................................................ get a longer cord! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Seriously. You are in no danger of voiding the warranty because you didn't use the supplied 3' long cord. I recommend building your own cable and although 12 gauge SJOOW would be fine for the relatively short (under 10') length, I would strongly consider getting 10 gauge cable as this sucker does make a bunch of power. You should be able to find 10 gauge for $1.50/foot or less in a 'cut from the roll' quantity. Parts Express usually carries it in 25 and 50 ft. cut to length orders, but they are out of stock at the moment. eBay is a great place to get cable though; just purchased a 250' spool of 12 gauge Carol for $180 shipped a few months ago. Still have enough of the 50' of 10 gauge Carol I bought 8-9 years ago to make a few cables.

I didn't see a spec in Peavey's online manual but do believe this thing uses a NEMA 5-20 connector at the wall, so make sure you get the right one if going the DIY route. I've had really good luck getting the end connectors from eBay as well.

Obviously, the best solution would be to wait and see if Guitar Center contacts Peavey and see if Peavey comes through with a few longer freebie cables. smile.gif
post #4 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Or yeah, get an extension cord...I wouldn't use that one though; it's 16 gauge and a 5-15 connector (this is where warranty coverage may play in).

What gauge is the stock Peavey cord?
post #5 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I had a similar issue with a short cord another amp. I just built a 3ft 12awg extension cable for it.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post

Or yeah, get an extension cord...I wouldn't use that one though; it's 16 gauge and a 5-15 connector (this is where warranty coverage may play in).

What gauge is the stock Peavey cord?

I suspect 12 gauge due to 20 amp plug receptacle. wink.gif

post #7 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 441
You can get all the needed stuff at any local hardware store, such as Home Depot; and it can be assembled with a screwdriver.
I've done this sort of thing many times. You need the two 20a end pieces and then get them to cut you the appropriate sized cable.
post #8 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:

So......the power cord is only approximately 3 ft long! lol. eek.gif
Since pro amps usually end up in a rack full of stuff excess cord length is a PITA. Many is the one or two footer I've made to cut down on clutter. As noted go to any decent hardware store, they have everything you need to make a new cord of any length you want. The supplied cord should have the gauge embossed into the jacket.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #9 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

You can get all the needed stuff at any local hardware store, such as Home Depot; and it can be assembled with a screwdriver.
I've done this sort of thing many times. You need the two 20a end pieces and then get them to cut you the appropriate sized cable.

Thanks,

I completely understand your post and appreciate your help........but I do have quite a bit of experience with building cables, wiring electrical etc.....

The issue is....and not completely out of realm, if there was a fire in rack and source came from home made power cables......I'd prefer pointing finger at Peavey rather than looking
in mirror and pointing at self. I'm looking to see if Peavey has stock lengths in 6+ foot range. I suspect they do but how to get ahold of one is issue.

BTW, this place is great! So many helpful people! wink.gif
steve nn likes this.
post #10 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50

I guess my question is why isn't all of your gear going to say a power conditioner in the rack itself and then that unit has the long cord?? 

post #11 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlinkous View Post

I guess my question is why isn't all of your gear going to say a power conditioner in the rack itself and then that unit has the long cord?? 

I'd say it would take a rather large or multiple power conditioners for those amps as well as his other gear. There comes a point when current draw overloads the circuit so you add more circuits.
post #12 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I sure wouldn't be plugging my 7500 watt amplifier into a power conditioner! eek.gif Or any amplifier for that matter. Directly into the wall or maybe a proper strip, unless it was a big-ass power conditioner, and that will be EXPENSIVE.
post #13 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Pro power amp racks don't use power conditioners. They use distro boxes for connection to a 220-240v supply.

post #14 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well........DIY really means DIY!

Guitar Center hasn't got back to me so I called Peavy Parts which directed me to service! rolleyes.gif

When the guy I spoke to on the phone told me to make a 30 amp cable.......ok........I had to remind him several times the 7500 uses 20 amp service and finally after five minutes he realized his mistake and corrected himself!

Stated no 6-7 foot cable and I reminded him the plug receptacle was not standard issue...............in short, spun my wheels and got nowhere. More ground work to do.....rolleyes.gif
post #15 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Which connector is on the back of the amp? I just went through this with my cv5000. Is it an IEC connector? Telling you to make a "30 amp cable" doesn't mean much
post #16 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fellow AVS member hit a homerun in the Peavey Group Buy thread!  Found exactly what I was needing.......

To save someone the 24 hour hassle I went through..........if you own or want to purchase a Peavey ipr2 7500 and need a replacement cord due to length, here is the source.

Thanks to those for helping!!!

http://customavrack.com/products/1037-5-20p-to-c19-power-cords.aspx

I think I may go for something like this.......     http://www.customavrack.com/products/1023-l5-20-to-c19-power-cord.aspx    .....the reason being, I'm using an Middle Atlantic AXS-R rack than slides on temporary glides.  With moving rack in cabinet by more than 41 inches, might be best to use locking system to keep amps plugged in.

post #17 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

If there was a fire in rack and source came from home made power cables......I'd prefer pointing finger at Peavey rather than looking
in mirror and pointing at self.

Just make it a 10awg wire or thicker, it won't cause any fires.
Besides, they don't know what you don't tell them. wink.gif

Peavey won't refund you for your whole rack or for fires, only house insurance will.

You are over thinking this WAY TOO MUCH. Probability of fire is like 0.00001%. How many forum members have ever that their house burn down to-date because of DIY wiring that was adequately constructed... any? (and not installed in a hoarders nightmare).

NM... too late biggrin.gif
post #18 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Not to mention a 10awg wire would outlast the breaker. Fwiw cerwin Vega told me to plug the 12awg power wire into a 30amp circuit and guaranteed it, with an adapter of course.
post #19 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post

Not to mention a 10awg wire would outlast the breaker. Fwiw cerwin Vega told me to plug the 12awg power wire into a 30amp circuit and guaranteed it, with an adapter of course.
If you have a lamp with 18ga that's a 10 amp wire, and you wouldn't think twice about plugging it into a 15 or 20 amp circuit. The breaker size is based on the anticipated combined draw of all the devices that will be running off it, the wire size is based on the current draw of the individual device.

post #20 of 24 Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

If you have a lamp with 18ga that's a 10 amp wire, and you wouldn't think twice about plugging it into a 15 or 20 amp circuit. The breaker size is based on the anticipated combined draw of all the devices that will be running off it, the wire size is based on the current draw of the individual device.

Come on BFM, you know what I meant. Aren't you saying the wire/lamp is smaller than the circuit anyway. You confused me on that one....I think the answer to what you're saying is, No I wouldn't hesitate plugging more than 1 10 amp device into a 20 amp curcuit.

Oh I reread and think we're on the same page. What I was getting at was if he used a 10awg power wire, the breaker would trip before he overheated/overpowered his "power wire"
post #21 of 24 Old 02-28-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post

Oh I reread and think we're on the same page. What I was getting at was if he used a 10awg power wire, the breaker would trip before he overheated/overpowered his "power wire"
I was commenting on what C-V said. The amp power cable doesn't need to be rated for what the branch circuit is capable of delivering, only for what the amp is capable of drawing. The branch circuit wiring is what needs to be rated for at least the same capacity as the breaker.

post #22 of 24 Old 02-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Touche`
post #23 of 24 Old 08-30-2014, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post
Touche`
Ordered my IPR2 7500 DSP from Parts Express. Just opened the outer box and the inner retail packaging box for the amp had the tape across the top already cut open. And there is NO power supply cord!

Does anybody know if there was there supposed to be one (even a little 3 footer) in the box? Just watned to make sure they didn't intentionally stop including them or something like that. Thanks.
post #24 of 24 Old 08-31-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigangryrhino View Post
Just watned to make sure they didn't intentionally stop including them or something like that.
More likely someone at PE took it out of the box, either for another customer or personal use.
Contact PE, have them make it right. That could mean pulling one out of another box, so it becomes someone else's problem.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page