Newbie- Need help with whole house speakers - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 03-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'd go with the one that is $44 and easy to mount.
Like you said, you aren't audio aficionados so no reason to get more than you really want/need.

For myself, I'd get the OMW3 On-Wall Speakers. That was my original plan. But my quality expectations have increased since then.

Also take reviews with a HUGE grain of salt. Everything is extremely relative. When I got my Polk speakers people said "These are easily driven by the Receiver don't bother getting an amplifier." Of course I didn't get an amplifier. However, I didn't take into account that they weren't listening at the same listening levels I was so I eventually just needed an amplifier. The Pioneer Speakers have AMAZING reviews as they are always on slickdeals.net and other sites as a great deal for the price. However, many of those people buying those speakers are upgrading from HTIB or nonexistant systems so of course it sounds better than nothing or is going to sound better than what they had.

My initial listening impression of my Polk Monitor 70 was 11/10 before I had experience with anything else. Now looking back, I would have tried to get the RTi series instead or just go DIY from the start. It all depends on what you know. When you haven't heard any decent audio equipment, anything sounds MUCH better than what you've originally heard (terrible PC speakers/Phone Speakers).

However, since you said you're happy with the Polk's, don't want to spend lots of money, and really just want audio then I'd go with the most convenient option which also happens to be close to the cheapest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsmith2032 View Post

So I can't decide between the following speakers for the rear surrounds:

Polk Monitor 30s Series II - Most expensive option at $100. Bookshelf so might be hard to mount to wall but does have mounting whole in back
Polk Audio OWM3 On-Wall Speaker - Also $100. More of a satellite (meant to hang on wall) but not sure how sound quality compares
Pioneer SP-BS21-LRs - $60 so middle of the road. Get excellent reviews. Bookshelf so hard to mount to wall.....no mounting hole so would have to drill hole, buy some sort of bracket, or put on stand.
Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker - $40 so cheapest option. Again bookshelf so hard to mount to wall. Mounting bracket on back.
Dayton Audio SAT-BK Satellite Speaker Pair Black - $44 dollars. Satellite style and comes with hardware to mount.

Please keep in mind that we currently have a HTIB LG LHT854 so I would imagine all would be an upgrade. Also, we aren't audio aficionados and would love to save money. Thanks!

I would say the safe thing to do would be to go with the Polks, because you like them already, and you know what you are getting.

For me, I like to try new things. I would go with the Dayton Audio B652's, based on reputation. I'm not sure why you think they would be so hard to mount to the wall. They are bookshelf speakers; buy a bookshelf and put them on the wall! smile.gif Put a picture frame with your kids pictures on top of it. Your wife will never notice the speaker. wink.gif

http://www.lowes.com/pd_64384-46882-45049WPOLG_0__?productId=3036986&Ntt=shelf+brackets&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dshelf%2Bbrackets&facetInfo=
http://www.lowes.com/pd_334131-315-1863246_0__?productId=4264353&Ntt=shelf+brackets&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dshelf%2Bbrackets&facetInfo=

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #33 of 40 Old 03-07-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks both of you. I think I'll go with the Daytons. They are dirt cheap and if we dont like them I can always use them in our bedroom. I guess now I just have to decide between the B652 and the SAT-BK. I can't say im a big fan of a bookshelf mounted to the wall....seems kind of out of place. But also dont want to sacrifice sound if the SATs are inferior to the B652 s.
post #34 of 40 Old 03-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Clarification please: Just to review, you are looking for a pair of "rear surrounds." Will these be used downstairs with the 50" plasma TV and the Denon AVR-1613?

The Denon is a 5.1 AVR and it uses L/C/R, and "side surrounds." To use "rear surrounds" you would need a 7.1 setup. Am I confused here?

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #35 of 40 Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry...I dont know my terms very well. The system is a 5.1 so they would be side surrounds. This system is being moved into our family room to get more use. Sorry for the confusion.
post #36 of 40 Old 03-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Absolutely not a problem! smile.gif It's just a matter of us all being on the same wavelength.

In this particular case, what you are looking for is the side surrounds. Technically, they will not be placed in the back, but ideally on the sides, close to the height of the ear in your listening position, and directly to the side. This also makes a difference, because they need not necessarily be mounted to the wall, but they could be placed using a stand.
http://www.parts-express.com/sanus-bf31b-foundations-31-speaker-stand-pair--240-767

And since you have a workshop, you could probably find a good model of what you want and build them out of PVC tubing, or wood, for next to nothing.

post #37 of 40 Old 03-08-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 144
If it were me, and I was on a budget, I would recommend your main setup, that being the living room, (right?), and use your Denon AVR in there. That is the room that you and your family watch movies, and listen to music, right?

With that being the case, I would put the best speakers in there that you can afford. Sell those Polka, and build a pair of Seos-based speakers. I can't recommend a specific model because I don't know your budget, but, any of them, even the ones for well under $200 would give you a significant boost in performance. Power this setup with your existing Denon, and if it has a zone two, make good use of it to power whatever other setup you have that is not connected to a TV.

I am not sure how many total zones you have, but you could always purchase two additional well kept, used receivers for under $200 each. Most of those will have two zone capability.
post #38 of 40 Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Like I said, my wife sometimes listens to music through her phone (no external speaker or headphones).

I use a dual stream Bluetooth adapter to connect 2 sets of Bluetooth Headsets or speakers simultaneously to one device. The dual stream Bluetooth transmitter plugs into All iPhones/iPads

http://how-to-fix-earbuds.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-connect-two-bluetooth-headphones.html
post #39 of 40 Old 03-08-2014, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 86
For the number of zones that you want, I'd avoid receivers.

You should check out this subforum:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/36/home-a-v-distribution

There are many things that need to be considered, including how you want to control everything.

Get your thread moved there if you can. There are many helpful people there.
post #40 of 40 Old 03-10-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsmith2032 View Post

Also, are all the diy speakers at least $100 a piece to build? From what I can tell, they are but I was hoping I could find something decent for around $50 or less.

Check out the Ochocino or GoneCatfishin's site for really inexpensive DIY speaker designs.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Original Logitech Rechargeable Battery Pack And Remote Control For Logitech S715i Speaker
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page