First DIY sub with 12" Dayton Titanic mkIII - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-07-2014, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello folks.  I am interested in making my first DIY Home sub.  I have a chance to get a Dayton Titanic MkIII and the Dayton 250 watt plate amp on craigslist for $70.  MY first question is,"Is this a good deal"  My second is,"  What kind of results can I get with this combo and ideas for the enclosure.  Like everyone, I want the lowest and loudest I can get for the least amount of money.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Yes, that is a hell of a deal, in my opinion. As far as the optimal enclosure goes, first, you need to tell us how large your listening space is, Hight, width, depth? Do you listen to mostly music ? Movies?

Unless your room is really small, chances are that a single 12" woofer isn't going to give you the best performance, although, it may very well be a worthy upgrade to what you have to now! I would recommend going with this deal that you came across for $70, and look for a second Dayton Titanic 12" with a similar amp, and that way you will have two subs, which will not only add more SPL, but, also smooth out the response! I would recommend having someone model the enclosure in winISD or a similar enclosure modeling program. I would also recommend that you go with a ported enclosure for maximum output.

Of course you can always order two Stereo Integrity 18" drivers for $190 each and power them with a Behringer iNuke3000dsp! That would give you bone crunching performance compared to a single 12"!
post #3 of 7 Old 03-07-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenwolf74 View Post

Hello folks.  I am interested in making my first DIY Home sub.  I have a chance to get a Dayton Titanic MkIII and the Dayton 250 watt plate amp on craigslist for $70.  MY first question is,"Is this a good deal"  My second is,"  What kind of results can I get with this combo and ideas for the enclosure.  Like everyone, I want the lowest and loudest I can get for the least amount of money.  

As Marty says with the larger driver/s and more power, no doubt about it! If you did go with the combo deal (a good deal as long as everything is working properly) you're asking about you would still be under powering it but it looks good in about 5cf tuned to 20-21hz. If you have to it's a good way to start out budget restraints in mind and or smaller room, but if the option is there going another route would save you $$ in the long-run if and when you should need more. That being that it would be a good way to start out if need be.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #4 of 7 Old 03-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenwolf74 View Post

that is a VERY good deal. as long as the sub and amp work with out issues, you need to jump on that quickly. I think you might be very pleased on how good a single 12 in ported box can sound for getting low and loud. how big is your room out of curiosity.

fyi...My home office is about 10 x 11 feet with 8 foot ceilings. i have a 12 in a box that just under 2 cubic feet, with a dayton plate amp doing about 200 watts iirc, and i think it sounds great . Put it this way....if i get a little aggressive with it, it can easily get the whole room shaking!

Link 1: All 3 Marty subs done, 6 week journey! Link 2: Quick Irule review with pics
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...k-journey.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-rem...ing-about.html
post #5 of 7 Old 03-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post

that is a VERY good deal. as long as the sub and amp work with out issues, you need to jump on that quickly. I think you might be very pleased on how good a single 12 in ported box can sound for getting low and loud. how big is your room out of curiosity.

fyi...My home office is about 10 x 11 feet with 8 foot ceilings. i have a 12 in a box that just under 2 cubic feet, with a dayton plate amp doing about 200 watts iirc, and i think it sounds great . Put it this way....if i get a little aggressive with it, it can easily get the whole room shaking!

Bolded the important part. I can't tell you how many scummy people I know that sell broken things on craigslist/ebay as working.
kevings and steve nn like this.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

Bolded the important part. I can't tell you how many scummy people I know that sell broken things on craigslist/ebay as working.

tential makes a good point.....watch out for that. hook up the sub and amp if possible and let them run for a bit and see if anything strange is going on. When you push the cone of the subwoofer in a bit toawrds the magnet, is it quite ( which it should be ) or do you hear any kind of scratching sounds ( not good ).

Also does the seller have an ebay account? what's their feedback like on there?

These would all be good things to ask / think about.
steve nn likes this.

Link 1: All 3 Marty subs done, 6 week journey! Link 2: Quick Irule review with pics
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...k-journey.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-rem...ing-about.html
post #7 of 7 Old 03-07-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
TBF, 250-watts is barely adequate for the Titanic 12" subwoofer... I would really recommend you get the 500- or 1000-watt amps if possible. if you are getting the setup, I strongly recommend that you build the box as a vented design (as it is more efficient than a sealed box) with a replaceable rear panel so that you can upgrade the amp easily without building a new box.

Secondly, if you are building a sealed system, you should have the amplifier in a separate sealed enclosure from the driver. The Dayton plate amps are not sealed and air leakage will result in some buzzing from vibrations from the driver movement.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page