Need advice on which speakers from DIY Sound Group for new mains in my dedicated theater. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I will be ordering a new receiver soon and want to get some new mains while I'm at it. My sub is a Maelstrom X 18 in a ported box tuned to about 12Hz. My budget is fairly limited because I'm getting the new receiver as well. Right now I'm looking at the ALPHA-8 MINION, FUSION-8 ALCHEMY, the FUSION-8 ALCHEMY MTM, or FUSION-10 PURE. If it is really worth it I could probably go as high as the FUSION-12 TEMPEST, but like I said I'd prefer not to spend that much unless it would really make that much of a difference. I have an acoustically transparent screen so I don't need a specific center, all three speakers will be the same. My room is 25ft long, 11ft wide, 7ft tall. The seats are 10 & 17ft away from the speakers. Also physical size of the enclosure doesn't matter as they will be behind the screen and I have more than enough room there. Room is used for about 90% movies, 10% music.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-09-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 226
My first thought is that the MTM is a great choice and hasn't gotten enough attention, but there's plenty of reasons to go with other designs.

I like the MTM because if its improved sensitivity over the single midwoofer version, but that comes with lower impedance. That's probably not a problem, but something to be aware of. Of course, the two midwoofers should help with evening out the in-room response over the two rows of your theater, so that's one of the biggest plusses, IMO. Obviously, the same voicing in the regular alchemy can be had for a good deal less money. WIth both these designs, you get the EOS waveguide which doesn't quite meet the theoretical goals of the SEOS, so that's a point against them, I suppose, but a small one. Also, and check with someone who knows better, but I think Jeff uses BSC in these designs, while some of the others may not.

The Pure save money over the MTM and gets you the SEOS over the EOS, has lots of sensitivity and is an easy driving 8 ohms. Lot's of good there. Again, I'm not sure about BSC.

The Tempest, on the other hand is a great design, IMO, but you are paying a lot more and you won't make use of the low extension. If I were going to splurge and extend the budget, I'd go for Tuxedocivic's 1099.

Of course, I've not heard any of these designs. I have a set of Cheap Thrills (bwaslo's design and SEOS waveguide - designer of the Karma-10 as well, which is lower priced than most of the designs you mentioned) that I'm very happy with. Of course, the list of folks who have been anything short of very happy with any of DIYsoundgroup's offerings is very short (maybe one or two, and that's questionable).
post #3 of 8 Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailguy View Post

I will be ordering a new receiver soon and want to get some new mains while I'm at it. My sub is a Maelstrom X 18 in a ported box tuned to about 12Hz. My budget is fairly limited because I'm getting the new receiver as well. Right now I'm looking at the ALPHA-8 MINION, FUSION-8 ALCHEMY, the FUSION-8 ALCHEMY MTM, or FUSION-10 PURE. If it is really worth it I could probably go as high as the FUSION-12 TEMPEST, but like I said I'd prefer not to spend that much unless it would really make that much of a difference. I have an acoustically transparent screen so I don't need a specific center, all three speakers will be the same. My room is 25ft long, 11ft wide, 7ft tall. The seats are 10 & 17ft away from the speakers. Also physical size of the enclosure doesn't matter as they will be behind the screen and I have more than enough room there. Room is used for about 90% movies, 10% music.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits.html

if youre always going to cross over at 80Hz, i would probably go with the 10 Pure. then save for a second sub cool.gif

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian
post #4 of 8 Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

if youre always going to cross over at 80Hz, i would probably go with the 10 Pure. then save for a second sub cool.gif

My wife already freaks out that my sub is going to literally break the house. I do like to run the sub hot, during heavy bass scenes I'm always running right on the edge of the amp clipping. I can get all the windows on the first floor to flex from the single sub in the basement. However I have been toying with getting a second sub or maybe even go with in IB. biggrin.gif
post #5 of 8 Old 03-09-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 267

I would go with the Fusion 10 Pure. Seos12, 10" woofer, and 98db sensitivity.

post #6 of 8 Old 03-19-2014, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'm able to pick up a trio of used Karma 10s locally for a fair price. Would I be able to get them to reference levels with my new Onkyo TX-NR929?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I'm able to pick up a trio of used Karma 10s locally for a fair price. Would I be able to get them to reference levels with my new Onkyo TX-NR929?

Yes, you should have no problem getting the Karma's to reference level with the onkyo. The karma 10's use a different woofer than the Pure's, but use the same cd and SEOS waveguide. I have the Pure's and love them, they play very loud and clean. I don't think Tux uses BSC in his designs.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

I have an Onk 717 and a L/R pair of Fusion 10 Pures. I've never heard the Karma 10's, but I would be 95% sure that your Onk would be a very good match for the 3 Karmas. My Onk can't push the Fusion 10's to their limit.

The direct answer to your question, is yes, I think you could get reference level easily. You Onk has Audyssey, and Audyssey will calibrate all your speakers to reference level, which is 82 on my 717. The best movie I have is a Blu-ray Star Trek Out of Darkness. I have to play that movie at about 70 or so, as 82 would explode me out of the living room with the sound. Your 929 is a notch or two above my 717.

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs