Receiver placement on top of subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-12-2014, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Okay, so probably have placed this in the wrong forum but it seems like the DIY people are more knowledgeable than the rest ;-)

I am in the process of building up my home theater system, and haven't build a proper cabinet for hosting all of my devices (eg: cable box, xbox etc.) and my Onkyo amp is too big to put on my current tv stand. I am wondering, is it okay to put my receiver on top of a subwoofer box for the time being? 

sub is a Dayton Audio 15" C1500k from Parts Express, and the receiver is a Onkyo 818. It's not permanent, but wondering if i can put it on top of the subwoofer enclosure for a month or so until i do build my proper stand (and move the subwoofer to the back of the room after running some new wiring.)

I just don't know if i will rattle something out of the receiver.

(note my alternative is putting down a piece of plywood on the carpet and leaving an RCA cable across the floor)

~Nick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-12-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have no idea if rattling or vibrations would damage a receiver or not. I can have my sub blasting and if I put my hand on it I can barely feel anything. Does yours vibrate a lot?
post #3 of 3 Old 03-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I wouldn't have a concern about the vibration of the Onk on the sub. I would encourage you to provide plenty of room above and below the unit so your Onk 818 can breath, as they run hot, and with proper ventilation it should give you long service.

I keep my Onk 717 on a wire shelf I got on sale at Lowes for $14. It won't be my final shelf, but it is handy for things like you are doing. It comes in chrome or black.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_328961-80752-142430C-DS_4294857717__?productId=3472601&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_price|0%26page%3D1&facetInfo=

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page