help choosing a kit for DIY novice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-14-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all. I've recently been considering attempting a DIY project for a stereo pair of loudspeakers to replace what I inherited from my good old grandpa (Technics SB2840, heh). I'm considering using them as a 2.0 system for my bedroom, but if required I'm not opposed to adding a sub, as I do tend to listen to a good deal of rap music. I'm using a Pioneer VSX-1123K AVR. My DIY experience is minimal at best, so a kit that I can obtain with a pre-cut flatpack or something similar would be ideal. Also pre-assembled crossovers are likely necessary.

Size is not much of an issue, as the Technics are huge, but the system sits close to the front wall so rear porting seems like it's not an option. The rest of the setup is yet to be planned, so I can accommodate floor standing speakers or bookshelves. I would appreciate it if the speakers didn't look totally raw and had a grill on the front, but a super fancy finish isn't super important to me.

As I said before, I enjoy rap music that is bass-heavy, but I listen to just about everything else as well, including jazz, rock, pop, classical. I normally listen at a pretty moderate volume, but sometimes I like the music softer as a background and occasionally I will really turn it up loud. One of the reasons that I would like to go DIY is to get as much sound quality/clarity as possible out of the speakers at moderate volumes.

Sites I have looked at include partsexpress, DIYsoundgroup, Pi, GR-research, madisound. My planned budget is around $500, but I don't really have a problem holding off for a bit and increasing the budget up to ~$1000. One option I have considered is waiting until diysoundgroup has the anarchy kits available.

If you have any other questions please ask, and thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 AM

Liked: 29
DIYsoundgroup 1.5cu ft. flatpack is about $96 shipped.
Infinity 1260w is $62 from Amazon
Young 300w non boosted amp is $140 parts express

So about $300. But you need to include clamps, screws, stuffing, glue, wire, and finish.
So figure about $425 for everything

You can get an SVS SB1000 for $500 shipped.
Includes 45 day in home audition, 5 year warranty, + support if you have questions.

Personally I would just get the SVS. It's proven design, it will work in your room, and you don't have to worry about if you did everything correctly.

With DIY if you screw something up, then the cost can skyrocket.
Where DIY makes sense is for bigger builds, custom looks, and multiiple subwoofer projects.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input re:subwoofer. My question was really more about a kit for a stereo set of speakers though, that I'd ideally like to use without a sub.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 11:36 AM

Liked: 29
If you want just speakers then any of the waveguide designs will work. I would look at the Fusion 4 for a bedroom without a sub. But honestly if you like jazz and bass heavy rap, then you will want a sub.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I don't personally think 2.0 is a very good option. There are a few designs at DIYSoundgroup that probably don't need subs for music, but I wouldn't run them that way. The Fusion 6 has extension down into the 60's, but lower sensitivity. Also, from the Fusion line, the 12 (Tempest) and 15 (Sentinel) have extension down to 40 or below, so those are probably good choices. If you step up to the Alpha line, you can get reasonable extension from the Minion, or deeper to 37Hz with the Zephyr. If it were my money and I were not going to use a sub, I'd have to speak with Jeff (the designer of both of those 12s) to see if the extra $75 per for the Zephyr was worth it over the Tempest, especially since the Tempest has an extra 2 or 3 dB sensitivity. Both of them are over your stated preferred budget, but it's tough to get the sensitivity and extension under that budget.

If you are wiling to commit to a sub to get the deep stuff, I think the Alchemy MTM (incidentally also designed by Jeff Bagby) looks like a super choice. It's small enough to put on a shelf, and I like the vertical MTM for the improvements in the way it should interact with the room.

I'm not familiar with anyone else's offerings, and to be fair I've never heard any of the speakers I'm talking about. smile.gif
post #6 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If I didn't forget what Erich sad the fusion 6 can handle. More than 200 a channel. They have the same sensitivity my Polk monitor 70s have. I have them hooked up to my crown xls 1500 and never have gotten close to clipping while sober. It gets very loud.

I would get the fusion 6 and a sub to start. Since adding a diy sub can cost a bit (especially the amp) I'd get something like the pl-200.

Is 500 for a front speakers and sub or what's that 500 budget for?
post #7 of 9 Old 03-18-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

If I didn't forget what Erich sad the fusion 6 can handle. More than 200 a channel. They have the same sensitivity my Polk monitor 70s have. I have them hooked up to my crown xls 1500 and never have gotten close to clipping while sober. It gets very loud.

I would get the fusion 6 and a sub to start. Since adding a diy sub can cost a bit (especially the amp) I'd get something like the pl-200.

Is 500 for a front speakers and sub or what's that 500 budget for?

I would not bother with the PL-200, but, instead go with the Infinity 1260W powered by an iNuke1000dsp, or if that is too much $$ then a Yung 300watt plate amp would be better than the PL-200. Honestly though, the iNuke1000dsp can be had for around $200 or less if you shop around!
post #8 of 9 Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful replies... The $500 budget is just for the stereo set. I have no problems adding a sub at a later date if I find it's necessary with whatever set I end up with.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
A sub is necessary pretty much no matter what setup/speakers you to. You can't get satisfying lows without one.

If 500 is just for the fronts then I'd get the fusion 8s and then add a diy sub kit whenever you realize how lame it is to not have a sub =D. There are lots of good diy sub builds but I think in general they aren't cheap. You usually are looking at 200+ just for the amplifier, then the sub, then the wood/supplies. It adds a lot to your budget.

If you can afford diy sub it's worth it but if not I'd pick up something like the pl-200 or klipsch Rw-12d if they still make it. They'll be easier to resell when you want to upgrade. Also because they might actually be enough sub for you. Not everyone needs a monster sun so I'd just use my budget to get 2 fronts and a sub and if you want to upgrade later on you can sell the sub since it will be a name brand sub so easier to shop it, or if you want to upgrade the fronts you can move them to surrounds or even sell them to a friend since small speakers like the fusion 6 that perform exceptionally well will be easy to shop around as well.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page