Give me the FULL Marty! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 56 Old 03-18-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,608
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 1166
Now your hardcore !!
Need pics tonight .
chalugadp is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 56 Old 03-19-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sooly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I promise pics this evening! 1 am rolled around quickly but we finished it up. Letting it dry as I type this. I have Thursdays off so I'll get to play a little this evening and tmrw. I'm itching to fire it up!!!! I'll leave the "I'm so glad to have it done" comments until after I test it lol.

sooly1 is offline  
post #33 of 56 Old 03-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
kevings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Anaheim / Orange
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I remember always having the best intentions to get lots of pics and document everything, but I'd get so wrapped up in what I was doing, I didn't always succeed.. smile.gif

Anyhow, sounds like your making good progress.....nice.

did u decide on a finish?
kevings is offline  
post #34 of 56 Old 03-19-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sooly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yeah. I had my phone and iPad and Dell venue pro right by us and I still didn't even think of it. This is the first thing I've ever made, so I wasn't thinking pics, I was thinking....oops I was off on that cut, fix it, dam the baffle is to tall, fix it, **** the brad nail was angled....fix it, the top pinched a quarter of my palm and I have no one to lift the top off for me the other day, blood blister and missing skin....fix it. God it was fun though. Great learning experience. Nothing would be possible without all of the build threads on here though. If a complete newb like me can do this, anyone can!
As far as finish. Right now I will paint the front and carpet the rest. Over the next few days my buddy will grab some remnants that would fit the room and save them for me.
As far as the size.......good god. Imposing. Awesome. I'm sure more than a few people will be asking WTF IS THAT!? Lol

sooly1 is offline  
post #35 of 56 Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sooly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sorry about the delays. Dang life getting in the way. Ok on to the good stuff.
The build is functioning. I can't say it's done because I havn't put the finish on it, or even decided on what I want to do. So far, I believe we are going to carpet it to see how that looks. If I don't like that then I'll prob duratex it.




The one picture shows my sub progression. 10 HTIB, then, I decided to purchase a Bravox 15 from parts express for 70 bucks on a buy out. I thought a car box would work.....ahh if only it were that easy.
For those of you thinking of building this, yeah, that's a box from a 10, then a 15, then the FULL MARTY.

Ok first things first......so to be honest..I guess I wasn't really prepared for the brutal power of this sub. I don't want to sound like a newb, but Jesus H Christmas story! When Hulk is jumping around from building to building in Avengers, and you can feel the impact of his punches, and when he screams and your clothes start to vibrate...like he's yelling in YOUR face lol. I can't wipe the grin off my face!
Uh...the Darla scene in finding Nemo.....my poor house. I have plaster walls in my living room...may need to switch to drywall. I have a wine rack with a bunch of wine glasses hanging upside down from it. I left Avengers on for a few minutes to see what issues I would have upstairs. Good thing I checked. The dam wine glasses sounded like someone was trying to play chopsticks on them.
Anyway, long story short, un-freakin-believable!
I can't imagine multiples!
Lastly, thanks to those that put in the trailblazing work for these subs. You guys are the ONLY reason someone that has NEVER built anything could even think of starting this project, let alone be sitting here listening to it.
Incredible.
kevings and LTD02 like this.

sooly1 is offline  
post #36 of 56 Old 03-20-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,608
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 1166
Ok , enough now ... get started on your second biggrin.gif
Welcome to da club
ma5y6ate.jpg
kevings and sooly1 like this.
chalugadp is online now  
post #37 of 56 Old 03-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
kevings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Anaheim / Orange
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 207

Sooly1,

 

Congrats buddy!  Isnt it awesome how in a just a couple of weeks you went from asking about building a sub to having completed your own vicious full size marty!

 

Im sure your in bass heaven right now buddy: )

 

sooly1 likes this.
kevings is offline  
post #38 of 56 Old 03-20-2014, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sooly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks Chaluga! My beautiful wife, together for 11 years, after a week in beautiful Jamaica, brushed my cheek and said, "honey, if I see one more amazon box show up on our porch I'm going to kill you" rofl. She's hot even when she threatens me. One Marty to rule them all in this house...for now. I'm not happy with the rest of my speakers though. Monoprice In walls. Maybe DIY Sound group can help eventually.

sooly1 is offline  
post #39 of 56 Old 03-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
kevings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Anaheim / Orange
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 207
kevings is offline  
post #40 of 56 Old 03-21-2014, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sooly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Good lord. War of the worlds pod emergence did NOT disappoint. Wow just wow!!

sooly1 is offline  
post #41 of 56 Old 03-22-2014, 01:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 16,852
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooly1 View Post


The build is functioning. I can't say it's done because I havn't put the finish on it, or even decided on what I want to do. So far, I believe we are going to carpet it to see how that looks. If I don't like that then I'll prob duratex it.




The one picture shows my sub progression. 10 HTIB, then, I decided to purchase a Bravox 15 from parts express for 70 bucks on a buy out. I thought a car box would work.....ahh if only it were that easy.
For those of you thinking of building this, yeah, that's a box from a 10, then a 15, then the FULL MARTY.

Ok first things first......so to be honest..I guess I wasn't really prepared for the brutal power of this sub. I don't want to sound like a newb, but Jesus H Christmas story! When Hulk is jumping around from building to building in Avengers, and you can feel the impact of his punches, and when he screams and your clothes start to vibrate...like he's yelling in YOUR face lol. I can't wipe the grin off my face!
Uh...the Darla scene in finding Nemo.....my poor house. I have plaster walls in my living room...may need to switch to drywall. I have a wine rack with a bunch of wine glasses hanging upside down from it. I left Avengers on for a few minutes to see what issues I would have upstairs. Good thing I checked. The dam wine glasses sounded like someone was trying to play chopsticks on them.
Anyway, long story short, un-freakin-believable!
I can't imagine multiples!
Lastly, thanks to those that put in the trailblazing work for these subs. You guys are the ONLY reason someone that has NEVER built anything could even think of starting this project, let alone be sitting here listening to it.
Incredible.

that's what it is all about right there!

congratulations on your build and what an inspirational write-up for others as well!

bravissimo sooly1!
sooly1 likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #42 of 56 Old 03-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
kevings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Anaheim / Orange
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooly1 View Post

Good lord. War of the worlds pod emergence did NOT disappoint. Wow just wow!!

 

Hell ya.....im glad to see you happy and loving your new bass cannon: )

sooly1 likes this.
kevings is offline  
post #43 of 56 Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
kevings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Anaheim / Orange
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 207
kevings is offline  
post #44 of 56 Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sooly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Work has been insane so I haven't done a thing. I'm a car salesman so I work a ton of hours. I need to sand and router the edges first. Then carpet for now.

sooly1 is offline  
post #45 of 56 Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 24,242
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Congrats looks awesome ! I look forward to the update smile.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #46 of 56 Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooly1 View Post

Work has been insane so I haven't done a thing. I'm a car salesman so I work a ton of hours. I need to sand and router the edges first. Then carpet for now.

Congrats! Now you have to figure out shag or berber..
cessna1466u likes this.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
steve nn is offline  
post #47 of 56 Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sooly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Carpet was dropped off last night. Tues night should be the night to put it on. Slow and steady I suppose. We had a couple over last night for a nice dinner and a movie. We started with the Darla tap scene, then went to pod race scene in Star wars ep1, then to pod emergence scene from Wotw. Then we finished with WWE Network....yeah, booze. Anyway, great night and 100% what this was built for.

sooly1 is offline  
post #48 of 56 Old 03-30-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,354
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooly1 View Post

Carpet was dropped off last night. Tues night should be the night to put it on. Slow and steady I suppose. We had a couple over last night for a nice dinner and a movie. We started with the Darla tap scene, then went to pod race scene in Star wars ep1, then to pod emergence scene from Wotw. Then we finished with WWE Network....yeah, booze. Anyway, great night and 100% what this was built for.

So that's how WWE works....

What did the other couple think?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is online now  
post #49 of 56 Old 03-31-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sooly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
They enjoyed the Pod race scene the most. Neither of them huge Star Wars fans, but my buddy kept laughing every time an engine would blow by, that is an excellent scene. He has had subs in his vehicles over the years, so he likes the low stuff. His wifes face during the pod emergence scene was priceless. I wish I could have gotten a picture. She had her mouth open and was just focused on the screen. When the scene was over, she said "jeasus" lol.
On a side note, I found drywall pieces on my floor by the sub haha.
I can't wait to get it finished tmrw. i'm just going to paint the ports black with my paint sprayer and carpet around the rest.

sooly1 is offline  
post #50 of 56 Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sooly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ok, so....yeah, just shy of 3 months into the full marty experience. I had run the room correction on my onkyo htib receiver years ago for my living room. Lost the mic. I got around to ordering a new mic and after the old Bose 501's were finished I reran the room correction. Things sounded nice......So after 3 months of running this full marty, everyone that comes over to watch a movie, after a nice bass scene will just look at my grinning face because they realized I was watching their reaction and not the movie rofl.
So, I don't know if I was just so happy with the sub or what, but I forgot to check what the sub level of my onkyo was running at until yesterday......ALL THE WAY DOWN is the answer. I'm so stupid. Ok, so I downloaded the ref bass 2 torrent from a thread here....there is a scene that a girl walks into a room, there is a video of her walking into the room on a monitor in the room and then a ghost or something attacks her. I don't even know what movie that is, but....good lord. I turned my sub level on my old Onkyo from neg 10 to plus 5. Lets just say it was more bass than I'm willing to subject my house and neighbors to.
I told you that story to ask this question.!
What kind of mount do I build to stop my dam w1070 projector from shaking. It's terrible. Although, even at neg 5 on my receiver it doesn't do it that bad, it's just on those crazy scenes. Regardless I don't want it to. Im afraid of breaking it.

sooly1 is offline  
post #51 of 56 Old 06-11-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooly1 View Post

Ok, so....yeah, just shy of 3 months into the full marty experience. I had run the room correction on my onkyo htib receiver years ago for my living room. Lost the mic. I got around to ordering a new mic and after the old Bose 501's were finished I reran the room correction. Things sounded nice......So after 3 months of running this full marty, everyone that comes over to watch a movie, after a nice bass scene will just look at my grinning face because they realized I was watching their reaction and not the movie rofl.
So, I don't know if I was just so happy with the sub or what, but I forgot to check what the sub level of my onkyo was running at until yesterday......ALL THE WAY DOWN is the answer. I'm so stupid. Ok, so I downloaded the ref bass 2 torrent from a thread here....there is a scene that a girl walks into a room, there is a video of her walking into the room on a monitor in the room and then a ghost or something attacks her. I don't even know what movie that is, but....good lord. I turned my sub level on my old Onkyo from neg 10 to plus 5. Lets just say it was more bass than I'm willing to subject my house and neighbors to.
I told you that story to ask this question.!
What kind of mount do I build to stop my dam w1070 projector from shaking. It's terrible. Although, even at neg 5 on my receiver it doesn't do it that bad, it's just on those crazy scenes. Regardless I don't want it to. Im afraid of breaking it.


That is a relatively small & light weight projector, so you might try to place a heavy book or something on top of it.

HOWEVER if you would, or are, considering selling your w1070 then please let me because I have been looking for a budget, used Projector for my new dedicated HT, and I would love to have a w1070!

(Don't mean to hijack but for one more plug!) If any of you guys have a projector for sale for under $500 then please hit me up via PM!
Martycool007 is offline  
post #52 of 56 Old 07-23-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 16,852
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
"I don't even know what movie that is, but....good lord. I turned my sub level on my old Onkyo from neg 10 to plus 5. Lets just say it was more bass than I'm willing to subject my house and neighbors to."


:-) bravo.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #53 of 56 Old 07-24-2014, 02:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry to hijack this thread but considering one of these builds down the track but curious, can the inuke connect to any receiver? My current sub connects by a single RCA, does this change?
farr3ll is offline  
post #54 of 56 Old 07-24-2014, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by farr3ll View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread but considering one of these builds down the track but curious, can the inuke connect to any receiver? My current sub connects by a single RCA, does this change?
Yes, the iNukes can connect to any receiver that has a subwoofer output. All you need is an RCA to XLR cable, or an RCA to TRS cable.
LTD02 and farr3ll like this.
Martycool007 is offline  
post #55 of 56 Old 07-24-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 16,852
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
to add to what marty said, the inukes have pretty low voltage sensitivity, so most avr's have sufficient voltage to get them to maximum output. but as was pointed out, an adapter cable is required, as inukes do not have rca inputs. most folks do a fan mod as well.
farr3ll likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #56 of 56 Old 07-25-2014, 04:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks lads
farr3ll is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off