First Build, Maybe A Little Help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10

So I recently decided I am going to build my own tower speakers. I have done car audio for 3 years and have built a billion custom sub boxes, and have done a lot of work with fiberglass for custom integration as well. I am now working doing anything in a home with low volt. Control 4, networking, and everything to home theaters. I have installed many many many home theaters and I now have decided to build my own speakers. I know crossovers pretty well, as to what they do, not building them. I was reading and came to a conclusion that I would build a set of 2 way towers and a separate sub box, I have all the tools I would ever need, all the fiberglass/bondo/paint anything, wood I have tons of, all I need is a little help, is this a good idea? A set of two way towers with separate sub box? How tall can I make them and what speakers should I use?
Thanks to all in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250

What is your budget for the speakers? http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ has lots of different designs at different price points, I'm sure you'll find something in there. You can also buy pre-made crossovers for most of the designs if you're not up to soldering.

AVI20 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

I love soldering and am pretty good at it, (did a lot of remote starts and security systems for cars). So soldering is not an issue, I would actually love to learn how to make the crossover. Is it possible to with good soldering skills if I have never made one?

And my budget is about 600-1000, but that being said, it is my first build and not really wanting to put the best equipment in them.

post #4 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Are you saying 600-1000 for the 2 towers and subwoofer?

The towers: $500 including wood and paint.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/karma12-kit.html

Subwoofer: This is where it gets tricky. You will need to either buy an external amplifier or get a plate amp that goes mounted on the box. Have you thought about what size subwoofer? Ported or Sealed?
AVI20 likes this.

Yamaha RX-V773
Behringer iNuke nu6000dsp
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #5 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah for towers and sub, the sub, I can do that later. I would like to have it done at the same time as the towers but I don't think that is going to happen. I like that sub in the link you posted, that might be the one I will go for, I like 12 inch subs, but I really admire the punch of sealed 10 inch subs. I kind of want to try a ported 12 though, maybe shake some stuff off the walls!

http://speakerdesignworks.com/NS6project_1.html

Is that a good design for loud and clear towers? My goal is to have towers that can be clear, and loud. As far as the amp for the sub, I would be fine with either, external amp or mounted, is there any benefit to have one over the other? Which do you prefer?

post #6 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 950
Remember that its a myth that 10" subs have more punch or tighter bass then their bigger brothers. My 18" sub would tko a 10" sub. Get the biggest sub your budget can handle. Good luck , your journey begins.
post #7 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if you can still find the drivers for the Stentorians. If you want clear and loud then go for a high sensitivity design like the Karma 12.

post #8 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

I like the karma 12, that in a separate box than the towers, as far as the amp for it, would you recommend a mounted one on the back or an external one? And your right, the drivers are no longer available, do you recommend a totally different build for the towers or same build, and different drivers? If so, which drivers?

post #9 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The crossover was made specifically for those drivers so there is no substitutions. 

post #10 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Do you know of any other towers that have a pretty well described diy that I could build? I really like that one, it looked pretty promising loud.
post #11 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVI20 View Post

Do you know of any other towers that have a pretty well described diy that I could build? I really like that one, it looked pretty promising loud.

This will keep you busy for a while

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334432/master-index-of-diy-speaker-projects/0_100

If you plan to use a sub then you don't need a huge tower because the sub will handle all the low end. High sensitivity speakers is what you should be looking for if you want loud.

Take a look at this speaker

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial-speaker-kits/v10-volt-kit.html

Its just a single 10" in a small enclosure (12x12x12") but the sensitivity is 95db and can take 10-400w!

At a listening distance of 10ft, you could theoretically hit 111db with 400w which is pretty damn loud...

AVI20 likes this.

post #12 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Damn that's a loud speaker. There are so many options! I just love the look of tower speakers. And maybe I could do towers with no sub?
post #13 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

You could do towers only but they usually sacrifice sensitivity for low end. 

post #14 of 42 Old 03-15-2014, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

So do you suggest high sensitivity speakers with a sub separate? I'm pretty much looking for loud speakers with good highs mids and lows. I'd like to do something that can do that but already has a build so I know all the specs, I'm not too sure how to find box sizes and how to design the whole crossover network
post #15 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

High sensitivity speakers + a sub would be best if you're looking for loud. Diysoundgroup is probably your best bet for an easy to assemble, low cost speaker kit. Right now some of the speakers are out of stock but more are going to be added/redesigned soon. You could redesign some of the speakers in a larger enclosure but you have to model the woofer in Winisd to get the right size ports and enclosure size.

Like this kit here could be put into a 14.5 x 14 x 40" enclosure

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/karma12-kit.html

post #16 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

That kit you had a link to your saying 40" tall? Just for that driver?
post #17 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

What do you think about this build? http://speakerdesignworks.com/SB6pakproject_1.html
Then a separate sub box after I do the towers
post #18 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

He made a mistake it's not 40 inches tall. The tallest build currently done is the Tux 1099 build I think sitting at 36 inches. I'd get those if you want the "Tower" look. Then sit them on top of your subwoofer and get dual subs.

You could build 2 Tux 1099s first. Then build a subwoofer later.

That's my "No buyers remorse" type thing. I am a firm believer of get what you want first and that's probably what you'd want since you want a "tower" look.

If you want to just get your feet wet first, then build what you really want then I'd actually just start with the Fusion 6 or Fusion 8. Then move them to surrounds when you find towers you want.

Doing that will allow you to get a real nice subwoofer. I'd go with the Dayton UM 15.

2 Fusion 6 + UM 15 + Amplifier(For sub) ~ $750
2 Fusion 8 + UM 15 + Amplifier(For Sub) ~ $810
2 Fusion Tux 1099 ~ $800 (Just add a subwoofer later down the line. Wouldn't even bother to pick up a cheap one with those Tux 1099 they'd eat a cheap sub up)

There are tower builds I've seen but I don't think they're as high sensitivity as the builds seen here.

Edit: And like the above build, I always have trouble finding all of the parts. I like the build, I just can't find the parts ever.
post #19 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I really like the Stentorians but as stated above, the drivers are no longer available. If anyone knows any build that are similar, (I really like the 6 drivers and 1 tweeter per tower design) I would like to know. I want to start building the box today. Im looking around to find something similar to those towers...

post #20 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah I really like the Stentorians but as stated above, the drivers are no longer available. If anyone knows any build that are similar, (I really like the 6 drivers and 1 tweeter per tower design) I would like to know. I want to start building the box today. Im looking around to find something similar to those towers...

I wish I knew. I like the Statements personally but I had teh same issue. Finding drivers. It's why I just want to purchase something off EricH's site as it's convenient since he'll package all the drivers you need to get the job done for you. And if those drivers are discontinued? There will be a new design of the same speaker using new drivers.

One option you do have is to take the Tux 1099 build, and instead just increase the height of the speaker. You'd still use the same specs you're supposed to use in the Tux 1099, you'd just have an empty cavity at the bottom to give you a more "tower" look. The Tux 1099 is already 36 inches tall. So adding 1 foot base to it would get you to 48 inches tall. I think that's more than tall enough for a tower that you want the tweeter to be at ear level. Otherwise, you'd be in the similar thing I was doing. Looking up speaker builds, then looking up every single part to ensure they are still in stock/available.
post #21 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I think I have decided to do the Tux 1099 towers, can anyone provide a link to buy the kit? Or do I buy it all separate?

post #22 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Should be up on the DIYSoundgroup website soon. Hopefully within a week or two but It'd just PM EricH for details or email him. It was taken down while it was reworked since it was listed too low on the price if I'm not mistaken.
post #23 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

He made a mistake it's not 40 inches tall. The tallest build currently done is the Tux 1099 build I think sitting at 36 inches. I'd get those if you want the "Tower" look. Then sit them on top of your subwoofer and get dual subs.

He can build an enclosure that is 40" tall and use that driver. You don't have to use the included baffle or go by the recommended enclosure size. Eric had some 40" blank baffles with just the waveguide cut out but are not listed on the site anymore. If he has any left you could use those for the enclosure.

AVI20 likes this.

post #24 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Okay cool.. more deciding I suppose, how do you think two of those coax speakers would sound in a 40" box?
Or do maybe 3 6" drivers with a tweeter? Per tower
post #25 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay cool.. more deciding I suppose, how do you think two of those coax speakers would sound in a 40" box?
Or do maybe 3 6" drivers with a tweeter? Per tower

I don't know much about designing speakers but putting two coax in one enclosure is probably not a good idea.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2.5-way-speaker-kits/zaph%7Caudio-za5.5-tall-tower-2.5-way-pair/

http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZA5/ 

AVI20 likes this.

post #26 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

I really like their tower designs!! Thank you for that link. The only thing is that the kit has pre built crossovers, I kind of wanted to build them, bbut maybe for my first build these will do. Or I suppose I could order just the woofers and tweeters and build the crossovers
post #27 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want to build the crossover yourself then just buy the drivers and tweeters.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-woofers/zaph-audio-za14w08-5-aluminum-cone-mid/woofer/

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/hard-dome-tweeter/vifa-dq25sc16-04-1-titanium-dome-tweeter/

AVI20 likes this.

post #28 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yes! I like that idea. Thank you so much! I'm going to look the specs up on the boxes and start cutting wood, and as far as the crossovers go, how do I figure out exactly what parts I need? Or do you think that there is specs on their site for the drivers that show how to specifically make the crossovers?
post #29 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Crossover info can be found here
http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZA5/
AVI20 likes this.

post #30 of 42 Old 03-16-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! You guys are so helpful and knowledgeable! I am really excited to go start these!!

Edit: Im going with the ZA5.5tt - MMTMM 2.5-way vertical array design.

I am going out to start building the box right now, anything special I need to know? Im pretty sure the pdf of the design shows all the ports and such needed

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page