DIY Towers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to make a pair of towers for my basement, I'm not too worried about SQ,I just want them to get really loud.
I plan on powering them with a Denon 1513, using 4 of its 5 channels. One channel for the bass section and one channel for mid / high section.

Right now here is what I'm thinking.. I just want to know what you guys think about it..

Tang Band 25-1166SJ 1" Tweeter (5000hz high pass)

Dayton Audio 4" Reference Fullrange (Full range)

4 x Dayton Audio 6.5" Classic Woofer (800hz low pass)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Well that certainly won't sound very good. Or get all that loud. Can you describe your priorities a little better. Do you have size constraints. Is there a specific reason for wanting a tower. Is there a budget.

Consider using a proven design using pro high sensitivity drivers. Like econowave, diysoundgroup, etc. If you don't like pro woofers or something, consider at least changing your driver selection to use 8" woofers or something depending on your needs.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Well that certainly won't sound very good. Or get all that loud. Can you describe your priorities a little better. Do you have size constraints. Is there a specific reason for wanting a tower. Is there a budget.

Consider using a proven design using pro high sensitivity drivers. Like econowave, diysoundgroup, etc. If you don't like pro woofers or something, consider at least changing your driver selection to use 8" woofers or something depending on your needs.

I'd like to keep it under $375 for the drivers (Ill get raw materials a different way)
Originally I wanted to use a pair of 8" woofers but I need the width of the tower to be less than 8"
I don't need screaming loud, I just don't want it to sound like crap.. but it seems like it will now..
The reason I didnt go with pro drivers is because I'm not going to be having a sub, so I wanted drivers that'll move a little more and give me a better bass response.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

That driver combination may sound good IF you design it properly. The first problem I see is full that 4" mid full range and wanting to play loud,,, it'll distort like crazy doing that. You have to bandpass it. There's plenty of designs that use a similar driver combination. Personally, I'd think about this one if you're stuck on a 3-way: http://zaphaudio.com/ZDT3.5.html

There are many others though.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248
post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
How deep (and tall) can the towers be? Is mounting a side-firing 8",10", or 12" woofer (or subwoofer) an option? If so, building a simple 2-way and using a subwoofer amp to drive the 8/10/12 makes for a pretty simple build (not many side-firing 3-ways) though the subwoofer amp takes a bite out of the budget.

Not much advantage to using 4 channels of your receiver unless you have something like mini-DSP to make it work

Oh....and the tri-trix is going to be hard to beat.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-20-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

I have decided to go with 2 8in woofers crossed 800hz and down.

How would putting 150w in vs 75w not help that much..?

For my mid/high range section.. can I wire two crossovers in series to give me an 8ohm load?
Here is the diagram I drew...
post #8 of 13 Old 03-20-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronoman View Post

How would putting 150w in vs 75w not help that much..?
Because watts don't determine how loud the speaker will go, voltage swing does. 75w/8ohms is a 25v swing. You can use one amp, you can use five, the voltage swing will remain 25v. If you were to use an amp rated for 150w/8ohms that would be 35v swing, and that would make a difference, although only 3dB.
As for the increased current capability, the midbasses are drawing probably 80% of the current anyway, so there's little to be gained there. Besides, the limiting factor isn't what each amp in the AVR can deliver, but what the power supply can deliver. Since all five amps use that same power supply you really don't stand to gain a thing.
Quote:
For my mid/high range section.. can I wire two crossovers in series to give me an 8ohm load?
No. That's not how crossovers work.
Quote:
Consider using a proven design
+1.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-20-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Because watts don't determine how loud the speaker will go, voltage swing does. 75w/8ohms is a 25v swing. You can use one amp, you can use five, the voltage swing will remain 25v. If you were to use an amp rated for 150w/8ohms that would be 35v swing, and that would make a difference, although only 3dB.
As for the increased current capability, the midbasses are drawing probably 80% of the current anyway, so there's little to be gained there. Besides, the limiting factor isn't what each amp in the AVR can deliver, but what the power supply can deliver. Since all five amps use that same power supply you really don't stand to gain a thing.
No. That's not how crossovers work.
+1.

Alright. That makes sense. Thank you. I'll start over.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I feel like you should heed the advice many posted in this thread to use a proven design.

You're going to spend the same amount of cash if not more than what many proven designs cost with 0 idea of what it will actually sound like.

I asked this same type of question and got the same replies. You want to spend 120-150 on drivers alone with 0 idea of what the end product will sound like.

I think the TriTrix, Zaph Audio, or DIYSoundgroup all would be a better build as you know what to expect. If you knew exactly what you were doing, or had a good idea of what you were doing then sure, I'd so go right on ahead. But I'm not positive you do and I'm not even positive you know exactly what you want as in your first post you say you only care about it getting loud and not SQ. Then in post #3 you say the exact opposite.

Doesn't seem like you have enough grasp yet to design your own speaker.

With the TriTrix design, The Zaph Audio 3 way, The Fusion Quad 4, Karma 8, Alchemy 8, and Fusion 6/MTM, I think there are just too many decent choices for you to, and excuse my language here as I really don't know how else to put it, dick around with just guessing which drivers you need and how to assemble it/power it.

There are just too many glaring mistakes in this thread that make me question if this would turn out well at all vs the tried and true proven designs out there.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-20-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

I feel like you should heed the advice many posted in this thread to use a proven design.

You're going to spend the same amount of cash if not more than what many proven designs cost with 0 idea of what it will actually sound like.

I asked this same type of question and got the same replies. You want to spend 120-150 on drivers alone with 0 idea of what the end product will sound like.

I think the TriTrix, Zaph Audio, or DIYSoundgroup all would be a better build as you know what to expect. If you knew exactly what you were doing, or had a good idea of what you were doing then sure, I'd so go right on ahead. But I'm not positive you do and I'm not even positive you know exactly what you want as in your first post you say you only care about it getting loud and not SQ. Then in post #3 you say the exact opposite.

Doesn't seem like you have enough grasp yet to design your own speaker.

With the TriTrix design, The Zaph Audio 3 way, The Fusion Quad 4, Karma 8, Alchemy 8, and Fusion 6/MTM, I think there are just too many decent choices for you to, and excuse my language here as I really don't know how else to put it, dick around with just guessing which drivers you need and how to assemble it/power it.

There are just too many glaring mistakes in this thread that make me question if this would turn out well at all vs the tried and true proven designs out there.

Then I'll go with a speaker kit. What's out there that gives me good bass? I'll have about $400 for the entire project.
I won't be able to have a sub, I already have a sound violation.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-20-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Good idea. This one \/
post #13 of 13 Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43
There were many options posted in this thread.

But really great bass would just get you another sound violation lol.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page