about ready to start a DIY Sub build - checklist / feedback - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 70 Old 04-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerism View Post

It looks like the PC software makes it a lot easier to make sense of the menu options, too.

iNuke software is much easier to use than the front menu. Great job on your sub!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 04-05-2014, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Yes 8 adjustable. As well q factor or quality as inuke has spreads out the peq wide or narrow.

Got it, thanks.  I still have to figure out how to make use of all these PEQ options without any feedback mechanism for calibrating them...  Maybe I'll give a demo to someone with a REW equipped laptop. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtwi View Post

iNuke software is much easier to use than the front menu. Great job on your sub!

Thanks and thanks. :) There are at least three cosmetic things that I could have done better with, but: a) it was my first DIY build, and b) functionally I'm pretty darn happy with how it turned out.  I got the proper speakon connector hooked up today so I can run the amp in bridged mode.  [insert bug eyed, **** eating grin.]  Even at the amp's full 750W, the sub still blends into the front sound stage perfectly.  Put your head directly in front of it a couple feet away and it pounds you pretty good, but anywhere off center and it feels like an extension of the front towers.

I turned the preamp's gain down from +10 dB (max) to +7, and have the Behringer at about two-thirds gain.  I'll play with it further and re-run the EmoQ calibration now that the sub isn't running on 25% power.

post #63 of 70 Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

While watching Star Trek (2009), I got what sounded like major subwoofer clipping @ 50 minutes. It happened a bit later, but not as bad, so I turned the sub amp's gain down a couple clicks. After a bit, I went into the Behringer menu to try and figure out how to set the high pass filter to 20 Hz. (I haven't tried installing the PC software yet.) It took some blind bumbling about to get into the right mode, but I eventually got it and that seemed to solve the clipping.

However, going back over that scene, my front baffle (the inner 3/4" ply that the sub is mounted to) once bouncing and vibrating like crazy, with lots of cone travel. I haven't seen that happen on any other soundtracks. Is the power of the sub/amp exceeding the strength of my cabinet, or is it a cabinet volume issue?

post #64 of 70 Old 04-17-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerism View Post

While watching Star Trek (2009), I got what sounded like major subwoofer clipping @ 50 minutes. It happened a bit later, but not as bad, so I turned the sub amp's gain down a couple clicks. After a bit, I went into the Behringer menu to try and figure out how to set the high pass filter to 20 Hz. (I haven't tried installing the PC software yet.) It took some blind bumbling about to get into the right mode, but I eventually got it and that seemed to solve the clipping.

However, going back over that scene, my front baffle (the inner 3/4" ply that the sub is mounted to) once bouncing and vibrating like crazy, with lots of cone travel. I haven't seen that happen on any other soundtracks. Is the power of the sub/amp exceeding the strength of my cabinet, or is it a cabinet volume issue?

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a bracing problem? Is there sufficient bracing in your cabinet or did it come looses somehow?

Blazar!
post #65 of 70 Old 04-17-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't opened it up to see -- will probably require an extra set of hands to tip it forward carefully and get the driver to slide out -- but I braced it well front-to-back. The braces are glued (TiteBond) at both ends and screwed to the inner front baffle, but I didn't screw them at the back. That's one point of failure that may need looking at.

post #66 of 70 Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I am trying to figure out how to wire my subwoofers without the wire floping around inside and potentially vibrating.

Do you guys use some sort of more rigid wiring?

Blazar!
post #67 of 70 Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I am trying to figure out how to wire my subwoofers without the wire floping around inside and potentially vibrating.Do you guys use some sort of more rigid wiring?
Use solid wire, not stranded.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #68 of 70 Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I am trying to figure out how to wire my subwoofers without the wire floping around inside and potentially vibrating.

Do you guys use some sort of more rigid wiring?

I used 12 ga speaker wire with very thick insulation. Between the wire's heft and the cabinet's insulation, it should stay in place and not be resting against anything rigid to vibrate against.

I would think solid wire would be a real PITA to maneuver in and out of the cabinet.

post #69 of 70 Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I ran my wire down a brace inside my Marty and hot glued the sheet out of it then put a few pieces of scrap wood around it and brad nailed it.

post #70 of 70 Old 04-18-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Some good ideas there, i will order some 12 guage which will be soldered to the speaker and the banana plug / spring connector. I wont need to use it to navigate outside the box except to put the speaker in.

Blazar!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page