AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Dave,

Would love to have you up again sometime for the gain profile along with any other fun type measurements you would want to do. I love doing measurements and tweaking so it is pretty clear that we could have a pretty fun day just messing around and doing more AV "Science" and then sit back down and enjoy some more of the "AV" part after all is said and done.

I would also have to second the opinion that we didn't see the end of SI's capability and with either of the amps, they were most certainly giving up the goat before we reached the driver's limits. It was apparent when I was able to hear the clack pretty quickly and began to turn down the vol quickly and still hear it a much much lower volumes than we had just been at. Maybe next time speaker power can make a little trip to home-state and bring an sp12000 to play with!!! "wink wink"

Also, anyone attributing THD to what we might be hearing, just needs to come have a listen for themselves biggrin.gif It ain't there....

Yup, we can do that and measure everything. I wish we could have disconnected the Berry and inserted the Bassis. That would have opened some eyes, IMO. Having enough time to do all of that stuff would be worth the effort.

I'd also like to bring one of my new amps. We took one of the FP14000 'clones' and had it modded. More than doubled the heat sink area, added 4 more rez caps (14 total vs stock 10), modded the transformer, PS heat sink, IGBTs on the PS front side, increased the case depth and other goodies.

I should have brought one with us, but didn't know if time/circumstance would have permitted. Initial testing is not completed yet, but I'd bet money it would have pulled a couple of the 24s teeth before over current/thermal shut down in bridged 4 ohm mode. biggrin.gif
popalock likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post

Thanks for posting those screen shots! Just to clear up any confusion the HS 24 was providing the results on the top of those divided images. biggrin.gif Yes, I am a very proud poppa of that 24" monster.

Now I'll get on to my post about the meet. First I would like to thank Brandon "beastaudio" for hosting this meet. He definitely went above and beyond what I expected. He spent a lot of time running around swapping woofers or equipment as the few times I caught a glimpse of him he was walking around the corner shutting off his head lamp and going up to his equipment rack to dial in whatever he just changed. Brandon also provided the food and drinks for the entire day. I can't say enough about everything that is Brandon. His system is very very impressive. When I say his "system" I mean everything about his basement theater room is impressive. Everything has been well thought out and executed! The room treatment is light years above par, the seating is excellent, his equipment rack is very impressive (not only the components but how easy it is to access behind it). When I get a bigger house with a basement I'm having Brandon over to help me lay it out. I am thoroughly impressed!

Meeting everyone at the g-t-g was really awesome. Chopshop, Gorilla, Austin, and Nathan came to my shop the day before the meet to pick up the 18" woofers and a few 24's. Everyone else I met at the actual g-t-g and everyone was super friendly and I thoroughly enjoyed talking to everyone. It was a lot of fun. biggrin.gif

Bosso - it was a pleasure meet you and Paul. Your measurement system and its capabilities are beyond impressive. Talking to you about the history of you obtaining that kind of software back in the day was really interesting. We definitely need to get together soon. Hell, we live less than 20 minutes away from each other. If you ever want to wrestle a few 24's let me know and I'll personally deliver them to you. cool.gif

dgage, thanks for bringing your twin LMS-U 18's. I particularly liked how you used those eight pieces of steel on the inside edge of your mounting surface. Very very neat idea and well executed. smile.gif After listening to them, the LMS's really came into their element below 30 hz. That's when they really started throwing down with lots of cone travel. It's always neat to see a woofer move more than 2.5" p-p. Linear motor topology woofers are always neat to watch playing audio in the lower octaves. Those LMS 18's really step up to the plate and start swinging where most subwoofers would cower and run home to momma.

I had a very good time at the get together! Everyone was awesome to meet and we relentlessly thrashed the HS 24 and it took every bit of the abuse. It too was neat to watch moving a lot. Here's a video I took while Brandon played a really cool song (that I will have to get):

Yo B!! What's the name of that song??
post #273 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Yo B!! What's the name of that song??

DJ Lost Keys on the 1's & 2's playing an epic track from @imagic.

The Joy of Minimal
post #274 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Damn, I went to go order one of the HS24's after reading this but saw the price now is $999! Ouch, guess I'm gonna have to go with a vented UXL as plan B
post #275 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeks32 View Post

Damn, I went to go order one of the HS24's after reading this but saw the price now is $999! Ouch, guess I'm gonna have to go with a vented UXL as plan B

I was going to post this anyway but your post is the perfect segue. Just today I received the first of my 2 UXL-18 preorder.

post #276 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeks32 View Post

Disregard the price difference. The HS24 is better than 2 UXL-18s, which model about the same as my LMS-5400s. You would not be sorry for waiting/paying the extra. And if you can swing 2, you'd be in absolute nirvana....assuming you have a normal room.
post #277 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Disregard the price difference. The HS24 is better than 2 UXL-18s, which model about the same as my LMS-5400s. You would not be sorry for waiting/paying the extra. And if you can swing 2, you'd be in absolute nirvana....assuming you have a normal room.

I would wait to see actual verifiable test results before using terms like better, etc.

One was supposedly being sent to data-bass.com for testing.

It is one mean driver no doubt, but I like to see numbers/data and not just subjective terms....

post #278 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

I would wait to see actual verifiable test results before using terms like better, etc.

It is one mean driver no doubt, but I like to see numbers/data and not just subjective terms....

Of course, the normal caveats have to be taken into account. But the fact is, the Ultra bests the UXL by a db or 2, so it's a fairly short leap to say that if the HS was more potent than the Ultras (both by the knowledgeable people in attendance and the Speclab results) it would also be better than 2 UXLs.
post #279 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I was going to post this anyway but your post is the perfect segue. Just today I received the first of my 2 UXL-18 preorder.

So..........you now have the same number of UXL's as me......ONE!!

I've ordered four and have been waiting since mid Feb? mad.gifmad.gif

How long have you waited ???? One week? mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Not your faulty...........
post #280 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 404
OK - I apologize for the delay but finally some thoughts from my end. smile.gif After a long ride back and then lots of moving/rearranging to bring the new drivers into the house (Thanks Jake/Chopshop!!) I've finally got some time with my laptop again. I'll keep this concise and get some pictures/videos posted shortly after.

First off - thanks to a great friend and host Mr. Beast for putting together not just a fun GTG but a very fun, entertaining, and rewarding weekend overall! Brandon's room is awesome, well thought out, and it's quite apparent he's spent a LOT of effort and iterations into getting everything perfect. It's no surprise I had a blast and can't wait for the next event - wherever that may be. wink.gif

Don't get me wrong - I love hearing and comparing gear but I always have even more fun meeting up with all of you animals as well as meeting new ones. smile.gif It was really great meeting the new guys- dgage, bosso, ambesolman, and Nick from SI. Looking forward to seeing you guys again soon. Big thanks to Paul and Bosso for posting up measurements and other helpful details.

Chop - I'll second/third/fourth the others and say a HUGE thank you for all the food! The downside for you is that you will likely receive many requests to be shipping some goods in the near future from many of us. tongue.gif

I had a blast playing with the SH50s and the Noesis 212s. Both are world class setups and I'd be very happy to own either. I preferred the SH50s overall, but there were definitely some highlights of the 212s that I liked - particularly tracks with acoustical guitar or heavy female vocals.

SI24 - A first look at this guy just makes you laugh out loud. It's quite imposing and something that MUST be seen and heard in person as the pictures, videos, and comments truly do not do it justice. Big props to Nick for a great product out the door that hopefully stays in the lineup for a long time. smile.gif

Too soon to start collaborating for the next one?? Nah! biggrin.gif
post #281 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 466
They say a picture's worth a thousand words. With that in mind...

With this being my first gtg, any that follow will have a lot to live up to! As everyone's already stated, amazingly gracious host, incredible setup, great folks and food. Brandon, be sure to thank your wife for us as well😉 I'm sure that when the two of you sit down there watching movies, you feel like these ballers...and who could blame you.

Disclaimer:
This was my first time hearing a setup with anything bigger than standard towers and manufactured subs. My towers are the MA RX8s that Reef brought to the NE GTG last year and subsequently sold to me after hearing the noesis (I think). I have zero DIY experience (other than a pine wood derby car back in the day) and am in the process of building my first acoustic panel.

I showed up with two 12pks of Atlanta's finest (Sweetwater) just in time to see the naked 24 being unloaded by Nick. It was a good first impression of things to come! Walked into the house and see these beauties set up in the living room...

I walk downstairs and see this...

😳, then some internal brown note💩 was experienced. After making sure I was shardless and making introductions, I just stood around looking stupid while checking out his space. It was quiet, a good quiet. Not the overly damped type that makes you feel queasy. Acoustic tiles on the drop ceiling with (I think) 2' of fluffy in top. Lots of panels of various sizes, some purchased some homemade, couldn't tell the difference. Liked the beveled edges too...Behind the front stage were two layers of duck board? duck butter? (somebody help me out) with a plastic layer sandwiched btw them. All this proved to make for an awesome sounding room!

The danley's design still has me baffled at how it shoves music out of those holes from multiple drivers and through the horn, yet sounds so clear, clean and effortless at any volume. All within a pyramid shaped design, no box. Crazy.

Sitting in the mlp with that 24 staring you in the face made me feel like...

But when it was cranked up, it was all...

Never in a million years would I have thought a sub that big would sound so tight and accurate. It would just pound the **** outta you while laughing in your face and assist with the digestion of the bacon cheddar burger and hot dog from lunch. Just visceral! They say we all vibrate at a certain frequency. If you could figure out which one and play it through a couple of these, you may very well ascend to higher plane of existence. Guess Gorilla may find out soon enough with the eight he's buying biggrin.gif

Dgage's 18s sounded really good, but think I'd go with 2 24s for the same price if space and structural integrity were not limited.

The 212s were very nice too and did sound much better after the phase issue was corrected. But compared to the danleys, the stage was smaller, shallower and maybe a little congested. But the 212 is much cheaper and more easily accommodating in smaller spaces for sure. If I hadn't heard them a/b'd with the danleys I know I'd have really liked them. The danleys are just so damn clear.

Finally we got to the movie demo clips. I have the disk that was used so I'm familiar with it. I have a Hsu VTF3mk3 that goes to 16hz so I thought I was doing pretty good. It's a damn good sub, my first real one, but man is there a lot left on the table! The HTTYD clip really emphasized this with the feeling that scene gave me. It had me all giddy felling like this guy...

Afterwards I found out that it was Brandon's 8 18s playing during the clips. I was pleasantly surprised as I didn't know what to expect from them. It was beastly...Great job!

Having not been able to attend a gtg until now, I didn't really know what to expect. I went in wanting to experience a new level of speaker and home theater, pick the brains of those I've followed and envied on avs as well as get some ideas for future expansion/upgrades. I got all that in spades from a great bunch of guys who made the whole day a great laid back experience for a first timer. Was nice to finally put some faces to screen names too. Can't wait to do it again!

Extra special thanks to Brandon for the generosity, along with popa, gorilla and others for trying to dumb down some of the knowledge I was after to a level I could absorb, mostly.

Edit: at one point sweeps were done for the danleys and the noesis that were practically identical. Was this still true or was it a fluke?
its phillip likes this.
post #282 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

post #283 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Lucky guys!

It sounds like a great time was had by all.

I wish I could have made it! Thanks for the pix!smile.gif

post #284 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

So..........you now have the same number of UXL's as me......ONE!!

I've ordered four and have been waiting since mid Feb? mad.gifmad.gif

How long have you waited ???? One week? mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Not your faulty...........

I was hoping you hadn't seen my post. smile.gif I told him he could put me at the end of the preorder line but I guess he has his system and sent the one driver. I hope you get yours soon.
post #285 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

They were my LMS-5400s and yet if I had the room I'd trade a pair in a second for a pair of the HS24. Measurements be damned...my ears told me what I wanted to know and then the SpecLabs plots backed that up.
post #286 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a few videos from Saturday, but this is my favorite - smile.gif

The final comment should sum up Bosso's thoughts. Hope he doesn't mind me posting. tongue.gif
post #287 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Miscellaneous and the ride home:

595351AB-AC3A-4A7D-BE31-C9B192B0F04B_zpskjwl7odc.jpg
96C73536-B548-4899-9F1D-AAEBC9C42841_zpsvjtxnapr.jpg
8842F0C9-D413-4D44-924A-41D1982C8D09_zpskfai9a3x.jpg

Trivia question - just how many SI18s will fit in a Ford excursion with exactly NO extra room?? smile.gif

10183661-2B25-4E52-9F0A-3BD2A17745E5_zpszhwvo2aq.jpg
CF014709-A45D-4CC8-BD4B-6BD96A51E681_zpshfangk5o.jpg
388402F4-EDE9-4C82-892E-7792A6AED7FB_zpstafxfqx5.jpg

Unloading at the house -

531563CB-0814-4E10-ABE2-6EA8E09C619A_zpsnvwr6pzm.jpg
post #288 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post

There seems to be a bit of mechanical distortion at those levels, but overall it sounds pretty clean to me.
Do you have another video with it playing more conventional music, or movies?
post #289 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

There seems to be a bit of mechanical distortion at those levels, but overall it sounds pretty clean to me.

Wonder if that's mechanical stress or the resonance of the enclosure that Bosso referenced?
post #290 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Unloading at the house -

531563CB-0814-4E10-ABE2-6EA8E09C619A_zpsnvwr6pzm.jpg

I feel for you with this pic. I know all about loading and unloading down the hill in that door smile.gif
post #291 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I feel for you with this pic. I know all about loading and unloading down the hill in that door smile.gif

I'd rather move the speaker boxes than all of the plywood he'll be buying soon. Talk about heavy and awkward...and you mentioned a hill? eek.gif
post #292 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

Of course, the normal caveats have to be taken into account. But the fact is, the Ultra bests the UXL by a db or 2, so it's a fairly short leap to say that if the HS was more potent than the Ultras (both by the knowledgeable people in attendance and the Speclab results) it would also be better than 2 UXLs.

You post should be corrected to say "the Ultra bests the UXL by a db or 2 below 20hz" because anything above that its the other way around wink.gif
post #293 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

Sorry, but you were not there correct? Recorded on a cell phone, and played back through your PC, does not give an accurate sonic replay of what we heard. Think of the limitations of your cell phone microphone for a minute.

View the other video of BossoBass as he was 1 foot away from it....maybe he will post a follow up comment to explain his experience on listening to drivers at close range.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe, nowhere else could things be this screwed up.
post #294 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Rolling Stones ''Miss You'' at 125db is what singlehandedly sold me on this driver. biggrin.gif

Never felt such violent, tight bass from any other single driver. It was a life changing event.eek.gif
post #295 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
In the flurry of awesome posts, pics and other things I think I missed how large the 24" cab ended up being. What were the dims and internal cuft on the final cab?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #296 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't know the dimensions but Beast mentioned 15 ft^3.
post #297 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 328
really annoyed i had to miss this looks like you guys had a blast. TBH if i had more space i would have ordered a 24 or 2 after seeing it at andrews earlier this year

BTW what are you planning on doing with 8 of those SIs? you already have 8 of the Daytons and 2 DTS10s, actually the better question is where are your gonna put them,
post #298 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Looks like it was a great time! I see 24's in my future. cool.gif
post #299 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This gtg sound like it was a blast. I really appreciate all the reviews and impression, it helped me decide my next sub setup. Thanks:)

post #300 of 724 Old 04-07-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
OK, who's next with organizing an event? I'm ready to hear more of that 24" "masterpiece", as Bosso called it. Next time we need a 10K watt amp for power.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe, nowhere else could things be this screwed up.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page