Beast's First Ever "Ballin' Out" NC g2g April 5th!!!! - Page 11 - AVS Forum
First ... 9  10  11 12  13  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > Beast's First Ever "Ballin' Out" NC g2g April 5th!!!!
bossobass 07:17 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hz lover View Post

Sorry, but you were not there correct? Recorded on a cell phone, and played back through your PC, does not give an accurate sonic replay of what we heard. Think of the limitations of your cell phone microphone for a minute.

Correct, the vids audio is a haplessly distorted mic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hz lover View Post

View the other video of BossoBass as he was 1 foot away from it....maybe he will post a follow up comment to explain his experience on listening to drivers at close range.

Well, there goes my witness protection program cover.

I've already commented on this:
Quote:
The SI 24 kicks ass... period.

I believe the faint (and familiar) flutter I reported was a combination of things and included the failure of the integrity of the box, amplifier distress and my eyelids fluttering violently.

Any mechanical failure equal to the sound heard on the phone vids would have definitely shown up on SpecLab and been audible at the seats.

Here's the Dub Step SL graph again. There's a big hit @ 9 Hz and a HUGE hit @ 17.5 Hz. At the mic (LP) and there is no trace of harmonic distortion at levels that shut both 8KW amplifiers down.

I don't know what else to say about it.

doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 07:24 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I was hoping you hadn't seen my post. smile.gif I told him he could put me at the end of the preorder line but I guess he has his system and sent the one driver. I hope you get yours soon.

Oh well...........it is what it is.......................

Hope you really like your driver...............they are quite the lookers.

Glad to hear the 24 has had great reviews...............and hope driver has future success.  The box requirement is way too big for me..............Lord knows I looked really hard and almost pulled the trigger.  In my situation, smoothing across seating was more important than shear output..............we shall see if I'm happy with what I've put together.  Never know what future holds and will watch enthusiastically how this driver progresses...............am always open to upgrading. ;)

And no....................32 SI-18 drivers are NOT in my foreseeable future!!!!   :eek:

Wahoo_envy's Avatar Wahoo_envy 07:27 PM 04-07-2014
I really enjoyed reading this thread. If I ever finish my theater, I'll have to pick up that Metallica BR to show it off.

Austin with more subs??? Seriously????

I noticed Bosso's Panama ball cap. I grew up there and had to move to the states after two years of college. I really miss that country, but still go back to fish when I get a chance.
BadmanSound's Avatar BadmanSound 07:32 PM 04-07-2014
Czn anyone chime in on the track id here? its very odd to see 9hz hits in any form of music, but its even more odd to see a lack of obvious kickdrums in the 50-90 range, which are generally mixed 3 to 6 db hotter than the sub line
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

Correct, the vids audio is a haplessly distorted mic.

Well, there goes my witness protection program cover.

I've already commented on this:
I believe the faint (and familiar) flutter I reported was a combination of things and included the failure of the integrity of the box, amplifier distress and my eyelids fluttering violently.

Any mechanical failure equal to the sound heard on the phone vids would have definitely shown up on SpecLab and been audible at the seats.

Here's the Dub Step SL graph again. There's a big hit @ 9 Hz and a HUGE hit @ 17.5 Hz. At the mic (LP) and there is no trace of harmonic distortion at levels that shut both 8KW amplifiers down.

I don't know what else to say about it.

Shan87's Avatar Shan87 07:34 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

I'm confused. I thought people were able to bottom out/destroy their LMSs. That was one of the reason Notnyt changed to a ported alignment. Maybe it was with much more power?

Anyway, 24" for a BEDROOM setup? Now THAT'S insane!

Most everyone running sealed LMS's all run 2 per FP14000 clone... 2400watts is only 600 more than an EP2500/4000 which made my Ultra 5400's seem not so impressive. In order to bottom them out on any normal material you'll have to run a significant amount of boost in the very low bass. So yes, much more power.

There is soooooo much space underneath my TV in my bedroom... would be a shame to let it go to waste. Haha.
16hz lover's Avatar 16hz lover 07:44 PM 04-07-2014
Brandon:

I may need to come back up there this weekend for another bass fix. Today, I picked out every bass heavy song on my iPod while working and skipped over all the regular songs. Those 8 SI 18" drivers left my mind in an orgasmic state all day Sunday. Thanks again for all your hard work;
dgage's Avatar dgage 07:45 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan87 View Post

Most everyone running sealed LMS's all run 2 per FP14000 clone... 2400watts is only 600 more than an EP2500/4000 which made my Ultra 5400's seem not so impressive. In order to bottom them out on any normal material you'll have to run a significant amount of boost in the very low bass. So yes, much more power.

Shan,

The EP4000 does not put out even close to 1800 watts in my opinion. I've told this story before, actually maybe a page or 2 back in this thread. I went over to Coach's and heard his pair of DO SI18s (4 subs) with each DO enclosure pushed by a bridged EP4000. Comparing them to my LMS 5400s, I was somewhat underwhelmed. I expected the 4 SI18s to perform similarly to my pair of LMS 5400s. Well, I had taken over my SpeakerPower SP-8000 (2x4000w@2ohms, 2x2400w@4ohms) so we hooked up a channel to each cabinet. Well, the subs truly came alive and sounded very similar to the LMS 5400s (audible memory being what it is). Coach ended up switching the Behringer amps for Peavey IPR7500s and he is much happier.

So you don't need a LG clone or even the SpeakerPower but you definitely need a better amp than the Behringer EP series. The IPR or iNukes seem to meet their specs and are getting decent reviews.
Shan87's Avatar Shan87 07:53 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:

Shan,

The EP4000 does not put out even close to 1800 watts in my opinion. I've told this story before, actually maybe a page or 2 back in this thread. I went over to Coach's and heard his pair of DO SI18s (4 subs) with each DO enclosure pushed by a bridged EP4000. Comparing them to my LMS 5400s, I was somewhat underwhelmed. I expected the 4 SI18s to perform similarly to my pair of LMS 5400s. Well, I had taken over my SpeakerPower SP-8000 (2x4000w@2ohms, 2x2400w@4ohms) so we hooked up a channel to each cabinet. Well, the subs truly came alive and sounded very similar to the LMS 5400s (audible memory being what it is). Coach ended up switching the Behringer amps for Peavey IPR7500s and he is much happier.

So you don't need a LG clone or even the SpeakerPower but you definitely need a better amp than the Behringer EP series. The IPR or iNukes seem to meet their specs and are getting decent reviews.

I run a clone myself but based on Data-Bass's measurements at 7 hz an Ultra can take 130 volts(Max long term output) with an impedance of 4.5ohm at 7 Hz which would put it at 3600 watts. I was just simply saying that there should of been a bit more in the tank is all.
dgage's Avatar dgage 08:08 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:

I run a clone myself but based on Data-Bass's measurements at 7 hz an Ultra can take 130 volts(Max long term output) with an impedance of 4.5ohm at 7 Hz which would put it at 3600 watts. I was just simply saying that there should of been a bit more in the tank is all.

Finally got on my delayed flight which is why I've been posting so much. The joys of air travel.

That's what I was saying a page back as well but even with 3600 watts, I think the HS24 would still beat a pair of LMS 5400s. When I was looking at amps, I really had a hard time finding the right amp to push the LMS 5400s as I didn't want a clone amp. I ended up going for the SpeakerPower SP2-8000 knowing it wouldn't give each sub their maximum output but would comfortably power 4 LMS 5400s or similar with 2000 watts each. Once I get my second UXL-18 to go along with my 3 LMS 5400s, I'll pick up a SpeakerPower plate amp to power 1 of the subs (my rear end table LMS 5400).
Electrodynamic's Avatar Electrodynamic 08:11 PM 04-07-2014
Bosso, shoot me an email at the ht email address on my web page. We need to talk amplifiers as I need something to take with us that will bring the 24 to its breaking point if need be. Well...I think I'll have to take TWO 24" drivers with me if I go that far - one to use and another as a backup in case the beers are flowing and I get too excited. cool.gif
ChopShop1's Avatar ChopShop1 08:26 PM 04-07-2014
Good evening gentlemen. Sorry for the late post, but I just got home a few hours ago and spent every minute with the kids until they went to bed! I think I was the last member home due to the Monday GTG biggrin.gif

From the time I stopped in PA on Thursday afternoon to pick up AVS' favorite primate, until I the last audio/movie clip got turned off and Andrew's place today, I had such a blast. I have some folks I consider true friends from this crazy hobby and it was great to road trip together and spend a few days going nuts. Thanks to each of them, Gorrila, Beast and Popalock for giving me a place to stay at each stop along the way. The hospitality of these guys is world class. I enjoyed the company of everyone at the GTG thoroughly, great bunch! Bosso, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you, here your comments and learn a few things, not to mention have some great non-audio convo. What you and Paul do with your gear is truly impressive.

When arriving in NC on Friday, we took the convoy right to SI to meet Nick at get to check out their facility. It was very hard to keep us all contained when seeing that much woofage in one place biggrin.gif Nick, thanks for having us man, and for letting me visit my octuplet 24z before they get shipped out biggrin.gif I'll say one thing..no one who ever orders and SI product need worry about its performance capabilities after the testing that goes on there! Next I got a chance to chill out and catch up with friends on Friday night...thanks guys for being so patient with the worst case of ADHD known to man biggrin.gif Getting to spend some time listening to music and clips on Brandon's setup was a treat. His room is so well done and the sound is wonderfully balanced...even after the blasting I took at the hands of the 145db run in the Sundown vehicle earlier on Friday eek.gif

Now for the show. Saturday morning was like waking up on Christmas waiting to open gifts in the form of some of the best audio gear known to man. I'll keep it a bit generalized as I feel that even early in the day the Miller lite may have impaired my ability to make technical assessments biggrin.gif I absolutely loved the way those SH50s stay consistent from seat to seat and draw such a great soundstage. I also enjoyed the Noesis, which I have heard quite a few times before...as others have said, there were things each did well. I was also anxious to hear the LMS, as I haven't had that opportunity prior. I feel like both the LMS and the 24"si both could have benefit from placement and eq, but that didn't cloud the obvious fact that they were both world class. I have to admit that I was very anxious having ordered 8 of the 24z prior to ever hearing them in anything other than free air, but once I settled down and paid attention it became obvious...I could not have made a better choice if I'd heard every sub in the free world. In the end, I think the SI is the clear choice over the LMS if you can accommodate the enclosure size. I can't believe that one driver could shake a house like that 24. Bravo Nick, I can't tell you how happy I am to welcome the 8 little bundles of joy into our home!

Seeing SL for the first time and Paul's ability to run it was very impressive to say the least. It is so cool to watch that while the track is playing and see the results.

Austin, thanks for driving that beast of a trailer up and down the mountains of NC for us!

Brandon, thanks again for a great stay in Ashville brotha!!

Here are a few pics to show some of our adventure

Here's own of me being assaulted by the slew of 18s courtesy of Popalock, aka Popalocked out of the Expedition, aka DJ Lost Keys

Someone tell Plock to get off my roof!!

...and finally, Si24 vs VW Jetta on the mean streets of Chantilly VA....sorry VW, it's not looking good for you.

One other quick things....I have commented to Andrew many times how great his room sounds with his gear, but at every GTG he has we just never have time for the masses to hear it. This morning after moving things around and playing with sub positioning trying to find a way for him to fit 16 drivers behind the screen, we had a little session. His room sounds as good as any I've heard with those Yorks and the Dayton 18s. Next GTG at his place, I move we make his setup the first demo!
BassThatHz's Avatar BassThatHz 08:28 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

Can you attach an mp3 of what the ACO picked up so that we can hear a higher quality version?

That sound is pretty normal for that much excursion, my 21's make a similar noise if you push it hard.
mtg90's Avatar mtg90 08:57 PM 04-07-2014
Great thread, sounds like you guys had an awesome time. As with many others wish I could have been there.
jpmst3's Avatar jpmst3 08:59 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:

I also recently acquired a clone and for the first time I am not amp limited and my LMSs have come to life like never before. smile.gif
Electrodynamic's Avatar Electrodynamic 09:16 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

When arriving in NC on Friday, we took the convoy right to SI to meet Nick at get to check out their facility. It was very hard to keep us all contained when seeing that much woofage in one place biggrin.gif Nick, thanks for having us man, and for letting me visit my octuplet 24z before they get shipped out biggrin.gif I'll say one thing..no one who ever orders and SI product need worry about its performance capabilities after the testing that goes on there! Next I got a chance to chill out and catch up with friends on Friday night...thanks guys for being so patient with the worst case of ADHD known to man biggrin.gif Getting to spend some time listening to music and clips on Brandon's setup was a treat. His room is so well done and the sound is wonderfully balanced...even after the blasting I took at the hands of the 145db run in the Sundown vehicle earlier on Friday eek.gif

Now for the show. Saturday morning was like waking up on Christmas waiting to open gifts in the form of some of the best audio gear known to man. I'll keep it a bit generalized as I feel that even early in the day the Miller lite may have impaired my ability to make technical assessments biggrin.gif I absolutely loved the way those SH50s stay consistent from seat to seat and draw such a great soundstage. I also enjoyed the Noesis, which I have heard quite a few times before...as others have said, there were things each did well. I was also anxious to hear the LMS, as I haven't had that opportunity prior. I feel like both the LMS and the 24"si both could have benefit from placement and eq, but that didn't cloud the obvious fact that they were both world class. I have to admit that I was very anxious having ordered 8 of the 24z prior to ever hearing them in anything other than free air, but once I settled down and paid attention it became obvious...I could not have made a better choice if I'd heard every sub in the free world. In the end, I think the SI is the clear choice over the LMS if you can accommodate the enclosure size. I can't believe that one driver could shake a house like that 24. Bravo Nick, I can't tell you how happy I am to welcome the 8 little bundles of joy into our home!

Having you four guys show up at the shop was like looking down on a kennel full of labrador puppies - every one of you were talking, looking at this, looking at that, discussing what to do, how to ship, how not to ship, how to pallet them all, etc. And in the end I knew that all it would take to calm everyone down was to hear the HS 24 perform. Sure enough, Saturday I was greeted by you downstairs appologizing for thinking the HS 24 didn't sound right the night before. When you had time to think about it, the day before (when you guys were at our shop) you got a demo of a 148 dB vehicle that peaked at 25 Hz with a broken windshield. After a good nights sleep, and a fresh set of ears, you heard one of your babies [the HS 24] playing and came up to me saying that hearing it correctly erased any/all doubts.

We then spent the day thrashing the HS 24, LMS-U's, changing the main speakers, listening to Brandon's 8x 18's, etc, and you eventually came up to me at the end of the night on Saturday and said "I can't believe I doubted the output these things are capable of." biggrin.gif

Again, I am very very happy I attended the GTG.
Electrodynamic's Avatar Electrodynamic 09:31 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:

Thanks Nick. It was great talking with you. And I look forward to hearing the SI BM MK IV 12" for my car. Was even thinking 1 or 2 would be nice in the kitchen. smile.gif

And here is a picture of the steel piece Nick is referring to. The sub screws into the threaded part and then I used the other 2 holes to screw into the cabinet (with lock washers). As a hobbyist woodworker, I've worked with tee nuts before and the last thing I wanted was for a tee nut to come lose, requiring me to cut open the enclosure.

And since we are complimenting designs, I really liked the unique gasket clamping system you devised. You hit the design home run; functional and aesthetic. If you have a chance, please post a picture and description of the clamping system. And I was serious about the interchangeable clamp handles...that would be an awesome option to make it easier to remove the sub.

I'll look into the clamp/handles. Your suggestion of making two of the clamps into handles was a really good suggestion. The neat thing about that is the handles could be removed and replaced with normal clamps (pieces of the gasket) after the woofer was set into place. We will see about visiting that depending on how many people simply can not mount the 24 using zip ties (genius, IMO - I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not realizing the zip tie thing for as many years I've been involved with subwoofers).
SeekingNirvana's Avatar SeekingNirvana 10:43 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

I have a few videos from Saturday, but this is my favorite - smile.gif

The final comment should sum up Bosso's thoughts. Hope he doesn't mind me posting. tongue.gif

This video really shows how f-ing massive that driver is!! The rest of the pictures don't do justice.....and I'm sure the video doesn't either compared to real life.
edoggrc51's Avatar edoggrc51 10:46 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

DJ Lost Keys on the 1's & 2's playing an epic track from @imagic.

The Joy of Minimal

Haha! Thanks mang!
chrapladm's Avatar chrapladm 11:12 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post

Bosso, shoot me an email at htsales@stereointegrity.com. We need to talk amplifiers as I need something to take with us that will bring the 24 to its breaking point if need be. Well...I think I'll have to take TWO 24" drivers with me if I go that far - one to use and another as a backup in case the beers are flowing and I get too excited. cool.gif

Would be good to see in action. I have always wondered what Bosso creations can do. From the his Bassis to his new amp now. Let us know how you go.

Cant believe there is a video of Bosso. Its like more rare than rocking horse or Unicorn poo. biggrin.gif
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 11:16 PM 04-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Would be good to see in action. I have always wondered what Bosso creations can do. From the his Bassis to his new amp now. Let us know how you go.

Cant believe there is a video of Bosso. Its like more rare than rocking horse or Unicorn poo. biggrin.gif

Yeah really and I thought we had it good when Thy showed up last week. biggrin.gif

Although Dave hasn't been that elusive. This is how I've always known him. smile.gif

image.php?u=7271&dateline=1170718326
popalock's Avatar popalock 02:06 AM 04-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Popalock - for letting us beat the heck out of your brand new 24, for keeping us on point and pushing the limit, and for planting the seed for a little impromptu g2g that turned into a pretty serious event. You da man!!!

All it took was an idea...

Started out as me offering to go pick up Chop's 24's as an excuse to cruise down there to pick up a couple for myself and swing by Brandon's.

Threw out the invite to Gorilla to see if he wanted to roll with me and asked if Brandon was cool with that.

By that time the seed had been planted and the train could not be stopped.

Inception.

popalock's Avatar popalock 04:43 AM 04-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanSound View Post

Czn anyone chime in on the track id here? its very odd to see 9hz hits in any form of music, but its even more odd to see a lack of obvious kickdrums in the 50-90 range, which are generally mixed 3 to 6 db hotter than the sub line

Here is the thread that you can download all of the dubking's (aka imagic) tracks. He calls the genere minimalistic dub I believe... I call it dubfunktastic!

"The Truth Hz - Your DIY Setup Can't Handle This"

Chill music worth a download for sure... Especially those that can plan down to 10Hz with authority and really like to "feel" their music.

I recommend everyone wear protection as there is a high probability most will end up with the clap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Haha! Thanks mang!

No prob brotha!

Check out this one...

DeepDropper WooferBlower (Direct Download here)

It put's the song in the video to shame...

I mean, check out the Audacity frequency analysis of it:

Woofer rape...
chrapladm's Avatar chrapladm 04:56 AM 04-08-2014
Thanks Pop. I didnt realize Audacity went down that low. I dont have the hang of SL yet. BUT I can use Audacity well enough.So thanks for this.
Ricci's Avatar Ricci 07:43 AM 04-08-2014
Man...I'm really regretting missing out on this one. Stupid schedule!
jpmst3's Avatar jpmst3 07:44 AM 04-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Man...I'm really regretting missing out on this one. Stupid schedule!

Did you ever receive yours for testing?
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 08:07 AM 04-08-2014
Bosso, do you have the sweeps?
Electrodynamic's Avatar Electrodynamic 08:34 AM 04-08-2014
Ricci doesn't have a 24" yet but he will get one soon. biggrin.gif
jpmst3's Avatar jpmst3 08:37 AM 04-08-2014
Quote:

Nice! cool.gif
ChopShop1's Avatar ChopShop1 09:04 AM 04-08-2014
Quote:

I know a guy that has 8 of them tongue.gif
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 09:13 AM 04-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

I know a guy that has 8 of them tongue.gif

I think Austin's test dummy 24 would be best served for this type of abuse. It's already broken in. biggrin.gif
First ... 9  10  11 12  13  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop