Beast's First Ever "Ballin' Out" NC g2g April 5th!!!! - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,066
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Could use a little help fellas. I know I talked to a few of you at the gtg about this stuff but still confused. Basically need opinions of omnimic vs Umik and REW.
Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531315/help-w-house-curve#post_24709972
ambesolman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 19,900
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4565 Post(s)
Liked: 3469
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post


You obviously haven't met my wife. cool.gif

Wow, it is really cool to actually refer to her as my wife finally! Woot!

Woah! Cool. I totally missed this. redface.gif

Mega congrats, B. smile.gif
Scott Simonian is online now  
Old 05-12-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 11,093
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Could use a little help fellas. I know I talked to a few of you at the gtg about this stuff but still confused. Basically need opinions of omnimic vs Umik and REW.
Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531315/help-w-house-curve#post_24709972

Hands down the OM is the easiest to get up and running and for quick little measurement sessions smile.gif The more in-depth you get into measuring, the more important spending some time with REW and another USB mic will be. I have the umm-6 and the OM v1 (recalibrated) If you want to try one out before you buy, let me know and I can send one to you for a little while smile.gif

Truth is, the computer (laptop or HTPC or whatever you use) is usually the most finicky when it comes to REW. Once you know how to situate the soundcard parameters and such, it is breeze, but my old laptop just never made it easy for me. I still never got the HDMI method to work, but a standard 3.5mm out to RCA in on the front of the receiver still works just fine. make sure your sampling rates are the same and have some fun!!

Now see why I like OM better? plug in the mic, pop the cd in your BD player, and start measuring...Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Woah! Cool. I totally missed this. redface.gif

Mega congrats, B. smile.gif

Thanks man!
beastaudio is offline  
Old 05-12-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,066
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Hands down the OM is the easiest to get up and running and for quick little measurement sessions smile.gif The more in-depth you get into measuring, the more important spending some time with REW and another USB mic will be. I have the umm-6 and the OM v1 (recalibrated) If you want to try one out before you buy, let me know and I can send one to you for a little while smile.gif

Truth is, the computer (laptop or HTPC or whatever you use) is usually the most finicky when it comes to REW. Once you know how to situate the soundcard parameters and such, it is breeze, but my old laptop just never made it easy for me. I still never got the HDMI method to work, but a standard 3.5mm out to RCA in on the front of the receiver still works just fine. make sure your sampling rates are the same and have some fun!!

Now see why I like OM better? plug in the mic, pop the cd in your BD player, and start measuring...Haha
Thanks man!

Sent you a PM!
ambesolman is online now  
Old 09-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Chipless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Sorry to revive this thread, but I can't think of a better place to ask given what you all heard at the GTG:

I am currently trying to narrow down options, as I am moving into a new place. I am not sure what the room dimensions will be, so I am simply looking for a high-level comparison here. So, what would you suggest between four dual-opposed SI18/UM18-22s (total of 8 drivers) or dual DSS Mariana 24s?
Chipless is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 05:07 PM
Member
 
16hz lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 39
DSS Mariana 24s
dgage likes this.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe, nowhere else could things be this screwed up.
16hz lover is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,145
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post
Sorry to revive this thread, but I can't think of a better place to ask given what you all heard at the GTG:

I am currently trying to narrow down options, as I am moving into a new place. I am not sure what the room dimensions will be, so I am simply looking for a high-level comparison here. So, what would you suggest between four dual-opposed SI18/UM18-22s (total of 8 drivers) or dual DSS Mariana 24s?
I'm not as familiar with UM18-22s so can't really speak to them but the dual Mariana 24s will dig deeper and have more output below 20/25Hz than even 8 SI18s.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eng-399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Plainfield il
Posts: 2,769
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1190
eng-399 is online now  
Old 09-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,145
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
The web site for the Mariana subs looks just like Stereo Integrity's. The Mariana 24's look nice though.
That's because I did Stereo Integrity's website. That was before I thought about Deep Sea Sound. I wanted a different website theme but I didn't like it as much as the theme I used on Stereo Integrity's site. But I do need to work on the website and that might include a theme change in the future...especially considering I noticed the Options pull down is broken today on the product pages.
eng-399 likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eng-399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Plainfield il
Posts: 2,769
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
That's because I did Stereo Integrity's website. That was before I thought about Deep Sea Sound. I wanted a different website theme but I didn't like it as much as the theme I used on Stereo Integrity's site. But I do need to work on the website and that might include a theme change in the future...especially considering I noticed the Options pull down is broken today on the product pages.

I like how you did stereo integritys website were the speakers and subs change every few seconds on it. That's pretty cool...you get to see what different products they have before picking something from there product line.
eng-399 is online now  
Old 09-28-2015, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 11,093
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post
Sorry to revive this thread, but I can't think of a better place to ask given what you all heard at the GTG:

I am currently trying to narrow down options, as I am moving into a new place. I am not sure what the room dimensions will be, so I am simply looking for a high-level comparison here. So, what would you suggest between four dual-opposed SI18/UM18-22s (total of 8 drivers) or dual DSS Mariana 24s?
All the more reason we need to get two of the mariana's in here and do a direct comparison! November 21st seems to be shaking up for round two.
Chipless likes this.
beastaudio is offline  
Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
JohnDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I didn't realize Deep Sea was in Knoxville. @dgage do you have a physical store front? I may be up there for the Arkansas game this weekend.
JohnDean is offline  
Old 09-28-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eng-399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Plainfield il
Posts: 2,769
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1190
eng-399 is online now  
Old 09-29-2015, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 11,093
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked: 2358
Working on compiling all of that into a build thread, but here was the original thread:

The Corinthians
beastaudio is offline  
Old 09-29-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 2,525
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post
Sorry to revive this thread, but I can't think of a better place to ask given what you all heard at the GTG:

I am currently trying to narrow down options, as I am moving into a new place. I am not sure what the room dimensions will be, so I am simply looking for a high-level comparison here. So, what would you suggest between four dual-opposed SI18/UM18-22s (total of 8 drivers) or dual DSS Mariana 24s?
If you do a comp of the HS24 and the HT18 on Data Bass you'll find that the 1x24 equals about 2x18's above 60hz, 3-4x18's from 16-60hz(depends on frequency) and 3x18's below 16hz.
coolrda is online now  
Old 09-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Electrodynamic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
If you do a comp of the HS24 and the HT18 on Data Bass you'll find that the 1x24 equals about 2x18's above 60hz, 3-4x18's from 16-60hz(depends on frequency) and 3x18's below 16hz.
How are you looking at the data? At 80 Hz one HS-24 has 7 dB more output in Max Burst response than one HT-18, which would be roughly 4x18's above 60 Hz, not 2x18's. Same goes for the rest of your comparisons as 12.5 Hz on max burst shows almost a 10 dB swing in favor of the 24. Then if you look at the more useable response plot of long-term output at 20 Hz the HT-18 provides 105 dB of output where the HS-24 provides 116 dB of output, or 11 dB more output which equals almost 4x as many drivers (not four drivers, but almost eight more drivers). Even using CEA2010 Max Passing SPL you have the HS-24 providing 129 dB @ 63 Hz and one HT-18 providing 122 dB at 63 Hz which is a difference of 7 dB, or more than four extra HT-18's, not 2x like you stated. Same at 16 Hz, etc. It takes more than four HT-18's to keep up with one HS-24.

Last edited by Electrodynamic; 09-29-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Electrodynamic is online now  
Old 09-29-2015, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 8,556
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
How are you looking at the data? At 80 Hz one HS-24 has 7 dB more output in Max Burst response than one HT-18, which would be roughly 4x18's above 60 Hz, not 2x18's. Same goes for the rest of your comparisons as 12.5 Hz on max burst shows almost a 10 dB swing in favor of the 24. Then if you look at the more useable response plot of long-term output at 20 Hz the HT-18 provides 105 dB of output where the HS-24 provides 116 dB of output, or 11 dB more output which equals almost 4x as many drivers (not four drivers, but almost eight more drivers). Even using CEA2010 Max Passing SPL you have the HS-24 providing 129 dB @ 63 Hz and one HT-18 providing 122 dB at 63 Hz which is a difference of 7 dB, or more than four extra HT-18's, not 2x like you stated. Same at 16 Hz, etc. It takes more than four HT-18's to keep up with one HS-24.

Nick if one HT-18 hits 122dB at 63hz, in theory two would hit a 128dB? Why are you saying it would be four HT-18's?
If you double the subs with the same amount of power you gain 6dB do you not?
jbrown15 is offline  
Old 09-29-2015, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 2,525
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
How are you looking at the data? At 80 Hz one HS-24 has 7 dB more output in Max Burst response than one HT-18, which would be roughly 4x18's above 60 Hz, not 2x18's. Same goes for the rest of your comparisons as 12.5 Hz on max burst shows almost a 10 dB swing in favor of the 24. Then if you look at the more useable response plot of long-term output at 20 Hz the HT-18 provides 105 dB of output where the HS-24 provides 116 dB of output, or 11 dB more output which equals almost 4x as many drivers (not four drivers, but almost eight more drivers). Even using CEA2010 Max Passing SPL you have the HS-24 providing 129 dB @ 63 Hz and one HT-18 providing 122 dB at 63 Hz which is a difference of 7 dB, or more than four extra HT-18's, not 2x like you stated. Same at 16 Hz, etc. It takes more than four HT-18's to keep up with one HS-24.
Each time you double the drivers you gain 6db. Hence, I said about 6db, Yes, technically its 7db. If one driver equals 0db, 2=+6db, 4=+12db, 8=+18db, 16=+24db and so on.
coolrda is online now  
Old 09-30-2015, 05:35 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,145
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
I'll stand behind my real world SUBJECTIVE opinion based on real world listening in multiple rooms and setups. 1 HS24 equals about 2 beefy 18" drivers (LMS-5400, HST-18) or about 4 HT-18s. I've never heard above 130 Hz in a room so that is immaterial so I'm speaking more of usable output below 25Hz.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 05:38 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,145
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post
I didn't realize Deep Sea was in Knoxville. @dgage do you have a physical store front? I may be up there for the Arkansas game this weekend.
I do not yet have a physical store front as I'm waiting for more consistent sales before I put the burden of a monthly cost on my young business. I'm fine with slow steady growth as I plan to be around for a long time. I'll PM you to see what we can do about getting you a demo.

David

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 05:41 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,145
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
I like how you did stereo integritys website were the speakers and subs change every few seconds on it. That's pretty cool...you get to see what different products they have before picking something from there product line.
Thanks. I am not a web developer, Stereo Integrity's site was the first I'd done in probably 7-10 years. Nick and I were talking and I said I could do it as I like to keep my feet wet with different technologies and that was the start of a beautiful personal and business relationship.

I used Wordpress to build his website and it wasn't too difficult but if you plan to use Wordpress, make sure you spend plenty of time learning how to secure it as the first time I stood it up I was hit by bots trying to login within the first few minutes. If you ever plan to do it, contact me and I'll give you some starting points.

David

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
pmd918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 144
@dgage this is the first time I've seen this thread. Been intrigued by the HST-24 and been considering adding one to compliment my two HST-18's. Nice to see someone selling a complete sub for those who don't want to do DIY. Love what you are doing, unfortunately $4k is a bit out of my price range. But wanted to say good luck, cuz I like what you are doing.
dgage likes this.
pmd918 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Electrodynamic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Nick if one HT-18 hits 122dB at 63hz, in theory two would hit a 128dB? Why are you saying it would be four HT-18's?
If you double the subs with the same amount of power you gain 6dB do you not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
Each time you double the drivers you gain 6db. Hence, I said about 6db, Yes, technically its 7db. If one driver equals 0db, 2=+6db, 4=+12db, 8=+18db, 16=+24db and so on.
^ At above 60 Hz. Splitting hairs now aren't we since we should be discussing SUB woofers, not midbass drivers. I know for a fact this "argument" could go a completely different direction and last for a very long time if we wanted to sit here and discuss at length what drivers are louder at 70 Hz. Start a midbass thread instead of digging up a one year old thread. The debates over what combination of what driver is louder than an HS-24 has been discussed at great lengths in this very thread but if you guys want to nit-pick one high frequency within the subwoofer bandwith then be my guests to keep trying to find something, haha. The HS-24 is not a 90 Hz fart monster but rather is able to provide a large bandwidth of ample output and very good fidelity.
Electrodynamic is online now  
Old 09-30-2015, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 8,556
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
^ At above 60 Hz. Splitting hairs now aren't we since we should be discussing SUB woofers, not midbass drivers. I know for a fact this "argument" could go a completely different direction and last for a very long time if we wanted to sit here and discuss at length what drivers are louder at 70 Hz. Start a midbass thread instead of digging up a one year old thread. The debates over what combination of what driver is louder than an HS-24 has been discussed at great lengths in this very thread but if you guys want to nit-pick one high frequency within the subwoofer bandwith then be my guests to keep trying to find something, haha. The HS-24 is not a 90 Hz fart monster but rather is able to provide a large bandwidth of ample output and very good fidelity.
I was just using that frequency range as an example because I quoted the post. It doesn't really matter frequency rate really I wasn't trying to start a debate. I just simply asked is it not the case that if you have a driver and you double it with equal power do you not gain 6dB in output?


I thought you were trying to say that wasn't the case and I just wanted to clarify what it was you were saying. That's all.
jbrown15 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Electrodynamic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I was just using that frequency range as an example because I quoted the post. It doesn't really matter frequency rate really I wasn't trying to start a debate. I just simply asked is it not the case that if you have a driver and you double it with equal power do you not gain 6dB in output?


I thought you were trying to say that wasn't the case and I just wanted to clarify what it was you were saying. That's all.
Where did I say that doubling the surface area would not relate to an additional 3 dB of output in theory? I did not say that at all. I simply pointed out the actual math instead of the "supposed" math. However, if you guys want to start a midbass shoot-out you might want to start a new thread. In reality it will take at least (AKA more than) 4 HT-18's to come close to one HS-24 over moderate full bandwidth. Below 25 Hz the HS-24 has advantages but again this has been discussed at length.
Electrodynamic is online now  
Old 09-30-2015, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 2,525
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
Where did I say that doubling the surface area would not relate to an additional 3 dB of output in theory? I did not say that at all. I simply pointed out the actual math instead of the "supposed" math. However, if you guys want to start a midbass shoot-out you might want to start a new thread. In reality it will take at least (AKA more than) 4 HT-18's to come close to one HS-24 over moderate full bandwidth. Below 25 Hz the HS-24 has advantages but again this has been discussed at length.
Dude, what are you doing? You need too check yourself before you wreak yourself. Displacement is displacement. I guess you can say that a 327 is bigger than a 454 or that a 2000sf home is 3x the size of a 1000sf home but it doesn't make it so. The HS24=15L the HST18=8L's the HT18=5L's and there's nothing in the world that will change that. Looking at ULF or response below 20hz, 3xHT18 equals 2xHST18 equals 1xHS24 plain and simple fact Then you post the following.

How are you looking at the data? At 80 Hz one HS-24 has 7 dB more output in Max Burst response than one HT-18, which would be roughly 4x18's above 60 Hz, not 2x18's. Same goes for the rest of your comparisons as 12.5 Hz on max burst shows almost a 10 dB swing in favor of the 24. Then if you look at the more useable response plot of long-term output at 20 Hz the HT-18 provides 105 dB of output where the HS-24 provides 116 dB of output, or 11 dB more output which equals almost 4x as many drivers (not four drivers, but almost eight more drivers). Even using CEA2010 Max Passing SPL you have the HS-24 providing 129 dB @ 63 Hz and one HT-18 providing 122 dB at 63 Hz which is a difference of 7 dB, or more than four extra HT-18's, not 2x like you stated. Same at 16 Hz, etc. It takes more than four HT-18's to keep up with one HS-24.

Wha? Am I missing something? Aren't these both your drivers? I can tell you that no offense was intended. I'm truly cool with the 24 being 8x or 20x better than the HT18
spur31 likes this.

Last edited by coolrda; 10-01-2015 at 06:55 AM.
coolrda is online now  
Old 10-01-2015, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
kmhvball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mason, Ohio
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I thought the response was to the original question about 'should I do 2 of the 24s', so, then Nick's answer of 'you need almost 8 HT-18s' makes sense. Both posts seem to be saying 1 x 24 = roughly 4 x HT-18s.... But if the question is how much do you need vs 2 x 24s, then you need 8 x ht-18s.

I could be reading wrong, but thought I would throw out how I saw the discussion going.
kmhvball is offline  
Old 10-01-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eng-399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Plainfield il
Posts: 2,769
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1190
Beast's First Ever "Ballin' Out" NC g2g April 5th!!!!

@beastaudio thank you!!!! FedEx showed up today. Also a big thanks to all the East Coast guys who put all the music tracks together for your GTG meets. I'm playing the music right now via USB thumb drive. This is exactly what I was looking for and will perfectly work for my GTG meet October 17.
Thanks!!!
eng-399 is online now  
Old 10-01-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 3,907
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Amazing that every time we start comparing the HS24 against other woofers the thread goes crazy. We already know that the box tested was massive. So take that out of the mix and the fact that this was designed to be in an IB alignment and then we're stuck with just Vd. Two big 18's will be close to a 24". Maybe 2.5 18's. Not looking at specs right now. BUT some drivers are designed to excel in the ULF like the HST's and HS woofers, PLUS the giant cabinet. SO a few variables that dont really make this an apples to apples comparison.

I think the HS24 is an amazing great value if you have 10cuft. Not ideal size but thats where it starts like Dgage's cabinets.

Great woofers I just hate seeing all the arguing when comparing.
chrapladm is offline  
Old 10-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Electrodynamic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
Dude, what are you doing? You need too check yourself before you wreak yourself. Displacement is displacement. I guess you can say that a 327 is bigger than a 454 or that a 2000sf home is 3x the size of a 1000sf home but it doesn't make it so. The HS24=15L the HST18=8L's the HT18=5L's and there's nothing in the world that will change that. Looking at ULF or response below 20hz, 3xHT18 equals 2xHST18 equals 1xHS24 plain and simple fact Then you post the following.

How are you looking at the data? At 80 Hz one HS-24 has 7 dB more output in Max Burst response than one HT-18, which would be roughly 4x18's above 60 Hz, not 2x18's. Same goes for the rest of your comparisons as 12.5 Hz on max burst shows almost a 10 dB swing in favor of the 24. Then if you look at the more useable response plot of long-term output at 20 Hz the HT-18 provides 105 dB of output where the HS-24 provides 116 dB of output, or 11 dB more output which equals almost 4x as many drivers (not four drivers, but almost eight more drivers). Even using CEA2010 Max Passing SPL you have the HS-24 providing 129 dB @ 63 Hz and one HT-18 providing 122 dB at 63 Hz which is a difference of 7 dB, or more than four extra HT-18's, not 2x like you stated. Same at 16 Hz, etc. It takes more than four HT-18's to keep up with one HS-24.

Wha? Am I missing something? Aren't these both your drivers? I can tell you that no offense was intended. I'm truly cool with the 24 being 8x or 20x better than the HT18
Could have fooled me as you tried to point out two HT-18's being on-par with one 24 above most customers crossover frequency. If you would like me to outline my math in bullet points I will gladly do so instead of putting it in paragraph form. My math checks out and so do the results from the GTG that happened over a year ago. I can (you should) also supply side-by-side screen shots from Josh's testing to show the advantages above 50 Hz. But if you provide the latter you may want to send an Eminence Sigma Pro 18" to Ricci so he can test it from 60 Hz on up. I strongly fail to see the correlation between above 60 hz SPL and subwoofer prowess as you eluded to with your first resurection of this year old thread.
Electrodynamic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off