3-way center channel build - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
1 2  3 
DIY Speakers and Subs > 3-way center channel build
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 10:23 PM 03-30-2014
I have been enjoying movies in 4.1 configuration for a while. MA BX2-s are undoubtedly great sounding speakers. But I think it's time to move on, to DIY land.

So I present you my 3-way center channel build:



As you may notice, it has:
1 x NeoX2.0 Silver
1 x Scanspeak 10F/4424G00
2 x Seas U18RNX/P

I already ordered the drivers. And I have 3/4" and 1" MDF. Friend of mine lets me use his CNC-machine to cut everything. In couple of weeks I will start building this thing (and if all goes well, matching left/right floorstanders aswell).

If you have any comments, please let me know. The size and shape of the cabinet is still undecided. Also, since a local DIY guy is designing the crossover for me, any guideline in that area is particularily welcome.

chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 10:32 PM 03-30-2014
What's the sensitivity of that center and how loud do you like to listen to movies?
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 11:01 PM 03-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

What's the sensitivity of that center and how loud do you like to listen to movies?

Sensitivity of the drivers: tweeter 94, mid 90 and woofers 88 dB. I'm still learning crossover theory but does this imply that final sensitivity could be around 89-90 dB?
I don't listen very loud (10 dB below ref with my Denon).
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 11:04 PM 03-30-2014
I think so. Some of the 3 way designs I have seen have sensitivity of around 85. Tough to power with avr at reference. At your numbers the denon will do fine. Looks like a nice build
Martycool007's Avatar Martycool007 04:33 AM 03-31-2014
That design looks very similar to the Ascend Acoustics Horizon center channel. I really like this design as it is able to incorporate two woofers without the same MTM issues that plague many center channel designs! This should be a pretty sweet speaker with those drivers, assuming the crossover is done right!

I would love to see a similar designed center channel but with an RAAL tweeter!
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 05:37 AM 03-31-2014
RAAL costs an arm and a leg here in Europe smile.gif

What could be the optimal size of the box for dual Seas woofers?

According to http://www.mh-audio.nl/CBC.asp, using Fs 43, Qts 0.37, Vas 22, Qtc 0.6 - 13.5 l per driver, so 27L. Seems ok?

Cabinet will be sealed and crossed to subwoofer at 80 hz. That makes me think a port or a pair of ports are not needed.
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 05:53 AM 03-31-2014
I may be wrong. According to http://www.micka.de/org/en/index.php#ideal, using T/S parameters, QTC 0.6 and sealed configuration, F3 is 84.32 Hz. So port may be needed after all.
Martycool007's Avatar Martycool007 06:06 AM 03-31-2014
I can't help you with regards to the ideal box volume, but, I would go with a ported enclosure if it were me. I like the way that ported mains sound compared to sealed.

To me ported mains just sound more full, and have a somewhat different tone on the low end compared to sealed. Some folks will tell you that this is not possible as the lows are Omni-directional, and while the lows are indeed Omni, I still believe there is a different sound.
pgwalsh's Avatar pgwalsh 10:47 AM 03-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxest View Post

I have been enjoying movies in 4.2 configuration for a while. MA BX2-s are undoubtedly great sounding speakers. But I think it's time to move on, to DIY land.

So I present you my 3-way center channel build:



As you may notice, it has:
1 x NeoX2.0 Silver
1 x Scanspeak 10F/4424G00
2 x Seas U18RNX/P

I already ordered the drivers. And I have 3/4" and 1" MDF. Friend of mine lets me use his CNC-machine to cut everything. In couple of weeks I will start building this thing (and if all goes well, matching left/right floorstanders aswell).

If you have any comments, please let me know. The size and shape of the cabinet is still undecided. Also, since a local DIY guy is designing the crossover for me, any guideline in that area is particularily welcome.
Could always go this route.





http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Statements_Center_Channel.html
Martycool007's Avatar Martycool007 11:09 AM 03-31-2014
I wonder how the NeoX2.0 sounds compared up the NeoCD3.0 used in the Statements? Fountek recommends crossing over the NeoCD3.0 at 2,500 and the NeoX2.0 at 2000. I am not sure if using the Neo2.0 would be of any benefit over the NeoCD3.0 when crossed to a dedicated mid in a 3-way setup. I have heard the NeoCD3.0 in the Statement Monitors, and I personally thought that it was an outstanding performer.

I wish that we had more designs in the $900 to $1,200 price range to choose from. I rarely ever see any thing with ribbons or even domes in this price range. You can get a RAAL 10d for $300. Pair that with a nice Seas or ScanSpeak mid, and perhaps some Dayton RS series woofers, and for $1000 you could build yourself a world class speaker! Maybe one day some will do a design like this and make the design available to us HIFI DIY guys!
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 11:37 AM 03-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I can't help you with regards to the ideal box volume, but, I would go with a ported enclosure if it were me. I like the way that ported mains sound compared to sealed.
I will experiment a bit with this box calculation tool. F3 @ 84 Hz is not low enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

Could always go this route.
Absolutely, but there is a possibility that a friend of mine starts selling these (if they come out OK of course). That's why I picked X2.0/SS/Seas combo. To my knowledge, it hasn't been done before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I wonder how the NeoX2.0 sounds compared up the NeoCD3.0 used in the Statements? Fountek recommends crossing over the NeoCD3.0 at 2,500 and the NeoX2.0 at 2000. I am not sure if using the Neo2.0 would be of any benefit over the NeoCD3.0 when crossed to a dedicated mid in a 3-way setup. I have heard the NeoCD3.0 in the Statement Monitors, and I personally thought that it was an outstanding performer.
As I see it, X2.0 is newer, takes more power, has better horizontal and vertical dispersion. I have heard both, and they sounded the same to me. In fact, they sounded 95% as good as RAAL. And funny fact: X2.0 is 20€ cheaper than CD3.0.
Martycool007's Avatar Martycool007 04:06 AM 04-01-2014
Well this should definitely be interesting and exciting to see a non-high efficiency build, but rather, more of a HIFI type build!

Perhaps I missed, but, what mains are you going to be pairing this center channel with?
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 05:00 AM 04-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Perhaps I missed, but, what mains are you going to be pairing this center channel with?
Same drivers, vertical alignment smile.gif And perhaps 3 woofers, not 2.
pgwalsh's Avatar pgwalsh 07:47 AM 04-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxest View Post

Same drivers, vertical alignment smile.gif And perhaps 3 woofers, not 2.
Sealed or ported?
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 07:53 AM 04-01-2014
I have always been "sealed" guy, but I guess it shall be ported. There are not many people who would buy a floorstander that has F3 @ 80 Hz.
pgwalsh's Avatar pgwalsh 07:56 AM 04-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxest View Post

I have always been "sealed" guy, but I guess it shall be ported. There are not many people who would buy a floorstander that has F3 @ 80 Hz.
Could do satellites instead of floor standers. Could probably use them for your sides and rears too.
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 10:15 AM 04-01-2014
Not "instead", but "and". Matching center, floorstanders and satellites.

What about design?



Larger is 800 x 260 mm.
Smaller is 600 x 280 mm.
pgwalsh's Avatar pgwalsh 10:22 AM 04-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxest View Post

Not "instead", but "and". Matching center, floorstanders and satellites.

What about design?



Larger is 800 x 260 mm.
Smaller is 600 x 280 mm.
Could fire the ports out the back. Instead only because you're then designing 2 speakers instead of 3. I personally prefer satellites, but I've built the Statements for a friend and they are quite awesome.
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 10:44 AM 04-01-2014
Due to the layout of my room, center channel will be touching the wall.

Again, if this project is successful, it could go on sale.
Martycool007's Avatar Martycool007 04:46 AM 04-02-2014
This would be an awesome contender to the Statements, which now that I think about it, are quite different with their open backed mids and larger cabinet. I would love to see a nice, big floor standing tower with these drivers that the OP is using!

I would imagine that if the crossover is done right, these ScanSpeak mids would be as good if not better than the Tang Band w4's used in the Statements, and the Seas woofers would likely best the Dayton RS-225's.
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 12:37 PM 04-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

This would be an awesome contender to the Statements, which now that I think about it, are quite different with their open backed mids and larger cabinet. I would love to see a nice, big floor standing tower with these drivers that the OP is using!

I would imagine that if the crossover is done right, these ScanSpeak mids would be as good if not better than the Tang Band w4's used in the Statements, and the Seas woofers would likely best the Dayton RS-225's.

I happily agree with you smile.gif

I have heard many DIY builds with Dayton and Seas/Scanspeak drivers. And not long ago sold my Audes 037's. Dayton makes some pretty good models, but is still outclassed by S/S.

Speaker layout has been decided:


And in black:


And in cherry:


Should I move woofers closer together?
Front panel: 650 x 300 mm.
pgwalsh's Avatar pgwalsh 07:36 AM 04-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxest View Post

I happily agree with you smile.gif

I have heard many DIY builds with Dayton and Seas/Scanspeak drivers. And not long ago sold my Audes 037's. Dayton makes some pretty good models, but is still outclassed by S/S.

Speaker layout has been decided:


And in black:


And in cherry:


Should I move woofers closer together?
Front panel: 650 x 300 mm.

Cherry looks nice, but I love dark woods. I prefer the one with the ports on the side, but mainly because it doesn't take up as much vertical space or perhaps it's just looks that way.
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 12:55 PM 04-11-2014
I have something to show you.

Heavy Seas, shiny Fountek and tinyyyy Scanspeak:


Scanspeak is so tiny it's almost funny:


Gang:


Actually, they are massive. And Fountek is unbelievably heavy. Finished speaker will probably be around 30 kgs.
tuxedocivic's Avatar tuxedocivic 01:29 PM 04-11-2014
Very exciting smile.gif
pgwalsh's Avatar pgwalsh 02:46 PM 04-11-2014
It's nice just to look at them. Looking forward to this build.
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 08:26 AM 04-12-2014
Update:

Cutting backside:


Cutting holes:


Front:


Back:


Driver fit test: success!


PS: anyone who's planning on building a speaker using slotted panels - you are nuts! Took us 100 hours of modelling to get everything to fit. Luckily we had tons of MDF to experiment with.
pgwalsh's Avatar pgwalsh 09:31 AM 04-12-2014
That looks fantastic. Pictures made it look like it took 2 seconds.

Is that the picture or is the top right edge kinda funky? Part of the design?
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 12:51 PM 04-12-2014
It's a V-shape. It all comes together when it's painted.
fperra's Avatar fperra 01:02 PM 04-12-2014
Very similar design to the center channel I built:
cc3_zps3438e75d.jpg


CC1_zpsfad5348e.jpg

I think you'll like yours.
nexxest's Avatar nexxest 01:15 PM 04-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fperra View Post

Very similar design to the center channel I built.
I considered that Morel, but was too hard to find here in Europe. How does yours sound?
1 2  3 

Up