Wood Floored Loft - Sealed or Ported? - AVS Forum
DIY Speakers and Subs > Wood Floored Loft - Sealed or Ported?
RockItScientist's Avatar RockItScientist 08:44 PM 04-03-2014

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while but I'm finally ready to start spooling up on a home theater with some of the awesome speaker designs floating around here. I've enjoyed mediocre surround systems in my living room for years, but I recently bought my first home and I'm looking to take it to the next level with a dedicated space. I'm starting with subs, but plan to build all the speakers. I've been piecing together some knowledge, but I have  along way to go. I have the technical background that should allow me to comprehend this stuff once I really get going. It's probably past time I get my hands on some of the modeling software.

I could use one of the spare bedrooms and probably have a starting point that looks better on paper, but the loft has a cool factor and it's where I want to put the theater. It's also the only room not sitting on slab.

I'd like to start with 2 18" woofers, maybe 4. Better yet a design that would let me start with 2 and double the size later on.

This is all about the movies. I will invariably rock some tunes here and there, but I'm super in to sci-fi and action adventure.

The room is a second story loft. It may be 300 sq ft or so, and has about 20 ft of the perimeter open to a pretty large great room with high ceilings. The screen will cover most of this area, and that is probably where the subs will sit, firing away from the opening, but there is also a door sized opening at the back of the room. So I have wood floors, probably not much room gain to speak of, and I'm looking for a great HT experience. Which direction would you go - ported or sealed? Horns?

saabracer23's Avatar saabracer23 08:56 PM 04-03-2014
How much total space can you give up? What is your budget? If it were me I'd get an ipr2 7500 or crest pro lite 7.5 and a pair of either dayton ultimax when they come out, UXLs, or the SI 18 if they come back. Port those suckers. Say 10-12 cu ft tuned to 16-18 hz

You'd have enough amplifier that you could add two more 18s down the road and just add it to the power you already have.

Dan
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 09:07 PM 04-03-2014
Depends upon if they are going to be seen. Check out jbrowns build thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1506201/ltd-m18-sub-build/0_50

That would work
RockItScientist's Avatar RockItScientist 09:39 PM 04-03-2014

Good points. Time to do a drawing and get realistic about the sizing. I've spent countless hours reading up on whether or not to make the screen AT. I should make that decision before going forward. That will lead me into where the LCRs, and what shaped area is left for the subs. I may be waiting for the new speakers Dan mentioned, since they sound promising. It never hurts to have "the new hotness" either.

Budget is a bit of a sliding scale. I'd like for a 2 speaker setup to not go too far over $1k. Definitely not over $2k! OK, I'm lying, I'm that guy. If I'm not careful, I'll sell a motorcycle or something and wind up surrounded by woofers :p

notnyt's Avatar notnyt 09:47 PM 04-03-2014
ported subs if you have the space, throw some transducers in as well wink.gif
saabracer23's Avatar saabracer23 09:56 PM 04-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockItScientist View Post

Good points. Time to do a drawing and get realistic about the sizing. I've spent countless hours reading up on whether or not to make the screen AT. I should make that decision before going forward. That will lead me into where the LCRs, and what shaped area is left for the subs. I may be waiting for the new speakers Dan mentioned, since they sound promising. It never hurts to have "the new hotness" either.

Budget is a bit of a sliding scale. I'd like for a 2 speaker setup to not go too far over $1k. Definitely not over $2k! OK, I'm lying, I'm that guy. If I'm not careful, I'll sell a motorcycle or something and wind up surrounded by woofers tongue.gif

Well the UXL is out.

Ipr 7500 through a group buy $650 + shipping
Ultimax 18 x 2 =$560
Total is A little over $1200

You'll need to add cost for wood, glue, paint, ect. All depends on what you're willing to spend on materials and finish.

That would be a very potent system, especially ported.

Dan
Up
Mobile  Desktop