Funk Audio TSAD18v1 Passive Radiator Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-06-2014, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did another build thread on a different forum, but I thought I'd share it here as well.

Recently I revamped my entire home theater set-up. It's not a dedicated room, but it works pretty well. In 2000 or so I built 2 194L ported enclosures for adire audio Tempest 15" subwoofers. They still worked well, but I wanted more bass.

At first I thought that I'd just upgrade my dedicated subwoofer amp. This led me to Funk Audio. I contacted Nathan and he sent me back a graph showing that the gain I would get by using one of his amps would be negligible. I told him I was thinking about the LMS ultra 18 inch sub. He mentioned that he doesn't sell his subs alone, but he will put together a package deal with an amplifier. His drivers are very light due to the neodymium magnet structure and saved me quite a bit due to the fact that I live in Honolulu.

My initial plan was this order two of the TSAD18v1 subs along with a stand alone 2.4kw x 2 into 4 ohms rack amplifier, mount them in my existing 194L enclosures and see how they sound. The results were the boxes seen above. Here are some images of the drivers and amplifier.

AppleMark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-06-2014, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

They sounded great, according to Nathan the 194L enclosure size would create a Qtc of about .6. They sounded great and blended seamlessly with my B&W Nautilus 804s. Usually I turn my subs off for critical listening, but it sounded better with them on. I wasn't sure how large I wanted to make the enclosures 120L sealed will give a .707 Qtc. Nathan sent me a graph showing a 300L ported vs 150L passive radiator system vs 120L sealed. These models are for max sol for one driver.

This next graph is 180L passive vs 120L sealed:

After days of box designs and debates on enclosure placement I decided on one enclosure that would house the two active drivers and all four passive radiators. Each active driver would have it's own enclosure of about 220L. These are the four passives:
post #3 of 9 Old 04-06-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Those look like some very nice drivers!!! Don't be shy with the pics. I'd like to see how the enclosure turns out.

Btw where is your build thread?
post #4 of 9 Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 168
If it were me, I would build two enclosures in order to get the frequency response smoothing that comes from having more than one sub located at various positions.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-06-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
cool.

good looking amp too.

somebody did something kind of similar quite a while back. long thread, but might be good for ideas. having 2 as marty suggests might give you better results though due to room mode cancelling/non-excitation.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/880571/4-18-5400s-powered-by-2-qsc-rmx-5050s/

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

Listen. It's All Good.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-06-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

Those look like some very nice drivers!!! Don't be shy with the pics. I'd like to see how the enclosure turns out.

Btw where is your build thread?

It's on HTS. I'll post more pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

If it were me, I would build two enclosures in order to get the frequency response smoothing that comes from having more than one sub located at various positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

cool.

good looking amp too.

somebody did something kind of similar quite a while back. long thread, but might be good for ideas. having 2 as marty suggests might give you better results though due to room mode cancelling/non-excitation.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/880571/4-18-5400s-powered-by-2-qsc-rmx-5050s/

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

Thanks for your input. I wish I could have built two separate enclosures, but it just doesn't work for my set-up.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

The external dimensions will be 23"x23"x69". The top and bottom will be 3/4" thick and the sides will be 1.5" thick. I used baltic birch plywood. I don't have very many clamps, so I decided to screw and glue, remove the screws and fill the holes later prior to finishing. Here's some pics of the process.
AppleMark

AppleMark

Internal bracing:

Almost finished:

post #8 of 9 Old 04-06-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

The neighbor helped me carry it in and it was time to install the drivers.
AppleMark
AppleMark

The passives have two weights on the rear and can be adjusted to three different frequencies:

It's nice having a wife who supports my hobby:D
post #9 of 9 Old 04-26-2014, 10:20 AM

Liked: 20
Nice to have a wife that looks like that!

More pics of her? smile.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page