NixEqnx's Tux 1099's + Fusion Alchemy 8's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

So, I received my speakers last week on Thursday. I was very excited and despite not having the time to complete the tasks started working on them anyway. Just figured I'd post some of my progress so far.

The Fusion 8's i was lazy and bought the flat packs. To put them together, I pre-drilled some holes and tap in a few finishing nails along with pl adhesive to keep it tight. Also a few claps to hold things in place, even though the finishing nails held it quite tightly together.

As for the 1099's, I did manage to cut the sides and backs. Instead of using a table saw, I used another tool from my dad. Basically a saw hooked up to a straight edge with a track. Two methods to use it on a track or on the straightedge at the side. Forgot the name of it, but will post it on here when i find it. Much smoother than the table saw, and i think it gave me a straighter cut and without fear of loosing fingers. I used this to cut the appropriate width, and then wound up setting up the table saw to cut them all to the appropriate height. a pic of my buddy using said tool below. oh yea, it's hooked up to a 1970's shopvac to keep the dust down.

once everything was cut, it was time to shave down the back with a router. of course my biggest bit was only 1/2", so we had to do two passes at 1/2" then another 1/4" to get it sized done. And the router mounted to the bottom doesn't really come out for freehand, so i'll be picking up my dad's router to do the center cuts. 

I'm out of town on business, but will post some more pics as I progress on Wednesday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

The saw that I mentioned earlier is part of the Eurekazone line. I had used the universal edge guide w/smart saw base to cut them to length. will be using the track system to do my routing. These tools are expensive, but I saw a million times more comfortable than a table saw, at least IMHO. 

Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Subscribed! I wonder when my pair of 1099's is gonna show up. Still no shipping confirmation frown.gif

I'll be using my Makita track saw for the first time for these speakers and I'm super excited about it!

What are your plans for finishing?
Old 04-07-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Subscribed! I hope I can get my 1099 on the next batch. they are so Elusive wink.gif

Old 04-07-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Sub'd

Can't wait to hear your impressions...
smile.gif

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
Old 04-07-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

What are your plans for finishing?

I'm going to be lame and finishing them with an oil base primer and latex white the same color as my trim molding. This will match the rest of the room's design. Not sure when i'll get to it. Managed to get the track for the router tonight. only thing i'm a little worried about is figuring out how to stop the router from going the last 3/4" into the wood on the side panels. i'll figure something out, and post a pic of what i get done on wednesday. another 200+ miles to drive tomorrow so i doubt i'll be working tomorrow night.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by NixEqnx View Post

only thing i'm a little worried about is figuring out how to stop the router from going the last 3/4" into the wood on the side panels. i'll figure something out, and post a pic of what i get done on wednesday.

That's what jigs are for! 

I'm trying to understand what you want to accomplish but I'm fighting a head cold and really can't think straight.  When I want to cut a blind dado on my router table or table saw, where I don't want the groove to go past the edge, I simply use a pencil mark as a reference.  I draw it right onto the table top or fence.  Then I do a plunge cut into my wood/mdf and use the pencil mark as a reference to tell me when to start/stop the dado cut.  Can you do something like this with your track system?  Don't forget to test whatever you do with a piece of scrap first.

Don't forget - lots of pictures :D

Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post

That's what jigs are for! 

I'm trying to understand what you want to accomplish but I'm fighting a head cold and really can't think straight.  When I want to cut a blind dado on my router table or table saw, where I don't want the groove to go past the edge, I simply use a pencil mark as a reference.  I draw it right onto the table top or fence.  Then I do a plunge cut into my wood/mdf and use the pencil mark as a reference to tell me when to start/stop the dado cut.  Can you do something like this with your track system?  Don't forget to test whatever you do with a piece of scrap first.

Don't forget - lots of pictures :D

I want to do a dado cut, BUT, not go all the way back on the sides, because if i do, that will leave a gab from where the other dado cut is where the side mounts onto the dado of the back. (I think) i still need to do a bit of measuring tomorrow when i get home. as for practice pieces, yes for certain. As for pictures, i will definitely take some more this time. saturday's build was more about drinking beer than building :)

Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

okay. so i promised an update today, but life has been busy. i'm hoping to "ACTUALLY" make progress tomorrow. finally got the slide mechanism in place and the router set up...was annoyed because the plastic plate didn't have a hole, and wasn't positive if was supposed to have one, and seeing as it's my dad's i didn't want to cut a giant hole thinking i had it upside down. He informed me it was all brand new he just didn't finish putting it together.

Was about to do some dado cuts tonight, but decided i don't feel like doing a 1/2" and then another 1/4" cut, so i will be heading to my local shop tomorrow to buy an unnecessarily expensive 3/4" bit. here's my setup for tomorrow:

Old 04-10-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 174
What kind of bit is required for cutting dado's with a router? My router is a Craftsman 1/2" plunge unit with an screen on top that tells you the speed at which you are using.

I would like to use dado's on my next sub build. How do you properly measure for cutting the dado's in such a way that they make the panels line up perfectly when attached? I would assume that you just measure say...1/4" from the edge of each panel and cut your dado there. Does that sound correct?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

What kind of bit is required for cutting dado's with a router? My router is a Craftsman 1/2" plunge unit with an screen on top that tells you the speed at which you are using.

I would like to use dado's on my next sub build. How do you properly measure for cutting the dado's in such a way that they make the panels line up perfectly when attached? I would assume that you just measure say...1/4" from the edge of each panel and cut your dado there. Does that sound correct?

Well this is my first speaker build, so i'm figuring it out as i go. The cuts i made on the edges were using a straight router bit. I'm going to buy a 3/4" because i don't want to have to set up the jig twice moving it a 1/4", that just won't work. As for leaving that extra 1/4" on the edge (assuming your cuts on both sides are approx 1/4" depth like mine) then your idea sounds good. Since I have the track system, i was going to come in from the open side with the router down, and set up a stop point on the track 1/4" from the end. 

Old 04-10-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 229
The 3/4" dado you're cutting; is it to accept a 3/4" section of plywood? If so, are confident the plywood is close enough to 3/4" to fit well enough? Often the wood is a little thin, which may or may not matter.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

The 3/4" dado you're cutting; is it to accept a 3/4" section of plywood? If so, are confident the plywood is close enough to 3/4" to fit well enough? Often the wood is a little thin, which may or may not matter.

It's MDF, which is actually 3/4". not 3/4" plywood @ 23/32" :-)  

Old 04-10-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NixEqnx View Post

As for the 1099's, I did manage to cut the sides and backs.

What size dimensions are you going with for the 1099's?  And are you going with the single or double baffle?

Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Box, as discussed during our email (I thought you were going to remove this thread, not a big deal) I went with the outer dimensions as posted by FatShaft. I think they were as follow:

12.5" x 36.25" for the back

13" x 36.25" for the sides

My top, bottom, and brackets, i think Fat posted 13"x11", but i'm pretty sure mine will be 13.5" x 11.5" because of my dado cuts. Once i re-cut what's necessary, i'll reconfirm, but i want to recut my backs and do the dados on them before i dado the sides so that way it lines up perfectly.

oh, just an update on my progress. forgot to tighten 2 bolts on the track system. ergo, i have one dado cut perfectly fine, and then two that lose about an 1" over the two boxes. Very annoyed, but at least i can salvage one. At least i have 1.5 pieces of MDF in the garage. Couldn't recut them last night as i didn't have anyone to help me lift the heavy stuff. maybe i'll make some progress today.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Updates??
Old 05-18-2014, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Chalugadp,

not much progress has been made on the 1099's. in fact, no progress. I however have managed to squeeze in some personal time to work on the Alchemy's. There are some progress pictures below, i built the crossover last week, during the week i manage to glue them in, and then glue the baffels on. of course then came the fun of sanding. both the center supports were causing the baffels to not sit flush. Also my wife decided to "help" (aka "Just get it done" so i was a little rushed) and glue went everywhere on the box that i didn't sand perfectly first. Oh, that required a LOT of sanding/scraping afterwards. of course i didn't' have a chisel so a screwdriver was used to get the bulk of the glue off as my razor blades weren't working very well. After most of the glue was of, i used a carbide rasp + multi-tool to smooth down all the side and make everything flush. i think the pine boxes + mdf baffel + MD weather in my garage made things varying sizes.

after that was a lot more sanding to smooth everything out, and then i did prime them last night. This week i doubt progress will be made as once again i have company (have either had company over or been on vacation for the past couple of weeks ergo the slow progress) I was going to paint them this evening, but company includes a baby, and i can't run the compressor to run the spray gun with baby sleeping :-( And finally the pics. 

CrossOvers - mind my crappy work, i'm not an expert (also covered the part numbers, not sure whats share-able)

A before/after picture of the glue mess (one done, one not done)

and of course my primer job. not perfect, but i had some old primer that i tried to thin (and wound up thinning it way to much) will be using white latex paint on top to match the molding in the room it's going in.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
I might suggest a laminate trimmer to flush up the sides and do the roundovers.save u a lot of time and frustration. You will really like those fusion 8.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:28 PM

How's the progress? Any updates?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hey box I finally got my fusion 8 done earlier this week. Been super busy with other things like vacation, then my ttractor broke and my garage was full.

I cut my new boxes out Thursday but hadn't had a chance to mitre them. Tomorrow I gotta change my oil in prep for a trip next week but might get some time to work on them.

I'll post a pic of the finished fusion 8s but they sounded great while listening to music for a bit.

How's yours going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
How's the progress? Any updates?
Old 07-19-2014, 09:26 PM

That's great! You must be super happy getting one set of speakers finished and able to listen to some music.

I'm busier than expected so my plan to remodel the family room and build my 1099s in September will probably get pushed out two or three additional weeks. In addition to my 1099s I just picked up a two Classix II kits but I plan to build those over the next couple of weeks. The Classixs are for my office but, I got to tell you, I'm quite sick of looking at my AVR sitting there doing nothing so they'll probably end up doing HT duty until my 1099s are finished.

Bring on the pictures!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Haha glad we're in the same boat. Still need to design my TV Stand lost my last plans and changed my idea anyway.

I'll post tommow on a daily 2 hrs drive home after a long day at a theme park. (So glad I'm not driving)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
That's great! You must be super happy getting one set of speakers finished and able to listen to some music.

I'm busier than expected so my plan to remodel the family room and build my 1099s in September will probably get pushed out two or three additional weeks. In addition to my 1099s I just picked up a two Classix II kits but I plan to build those over the next couple of weeks. The Classixs are for my office but, I got to tell you, I'm quite sick of looking at my AVR sitting there doing nothing so they'll probably end up doing HT duty until my 1099s are finished.

Bring on the pictures!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 174
With regards to cutting dado's with a router, did you use a jig to cut them straight? If so, where can I find this jig, or any jig that holds the router straight for cutting dado's?

Also, I wonder how cutting dado's on a table saw compares to using a router for this purpose? I have an old, cast iron, Black & Decker table saw, and wasn't sure where to find a dado blade as I don't have the model number on the table saw, and I would assume that it would be needed to find the correct dado kit, right? It's an excellent table saw. Big, wide, cast iron top, accurate fence, ect...
Old 09-02-2014, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
With regards to cutting dado's with a router, did you use a jig to cut them straight? If so, where can I find this jig, or any jig that holds the router straight for cutting dado's?

Also, I wonder how cutting dado's on a table saw compares to using a router for this purpose? I have an old, cast iron, Black & Decker table saw, and wasn't sure where to find a dado blade as I don't have the model number on the table saw, and I would assume that it would be needed to find the correct dado kit, right? It's an excellent table saw. Big, wide, cast iron top, accurate fence, ect...
Marty, for the dado cuts I used a EurekaZone track based system. The packages that my dad loaned me are the router package, and the tracksaw package. Honestly, the tracksaw package made cuts significantly nicer/easier than a table saw. not nearly as dangerous, and a lot easier to handle...not to mention nicer cuts. however, the total investment is around $800 for all the parts he has (good thing my mom doesn't know) I used this in combination with a bosch router.

The edges however were trimmed with a craftsman router attaching to a standard Ryobi universal routing table (bosch didn't fit) This could probably do the dados as well, but the track system allowed me to plunge, and the table was quicker for around the edges.

As for using a table saw to do the dado cuts, it is possible (I used mine to trim some bamboo T-molding) but would not suggest it. you'd have to do many runs, as much as the blade width to get the thickness you want. I don't know if they make thicker blades, but a saw vs a router are designed differently to have different power in different ranges, so i'm not sure something like that exists.

if you want direct links or more pics of the tools i used feel free to message me. Sorry for the (significantly delayed) reply, but i've only NOW gotten to work on my speakers again and came back to post some progress.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Talking pictures crooked

It's been a LONG time since i've been able to work on my speakers. some things came up such as my tractor breaking down (and thus needed my garage for repair), vacation, and travelling for work. I'm home this week and decided to get back into the business of working on these bad boys (note: I have another project of rebuilding a truck, so pending on rain i work on speakers, no rain = truck)

Anyway, i've gotten the backs re-cut and the dado's cut straight this time. I still need to cut the supporting braces for in the middle, and glue them (and build the crossover) but it feels good to have at least made some progress tonight.

Here's a pic of it at least laid out, and of course a finished pic of one of the alchemy 8s. i want to do the same type of finish on the Tuxs, but it will take a bit of prep work to do it right this time.

Hoping to make better progress throughout the rest of the week/weekend. PS sorry for the low quality pics, was taken with my cellphone in low light. My wife has really been enjoying the Alchemy 8's as our L/R replacing our old system in the meantime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140902_215812.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	243090   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140902_212344.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	243098  
Old 09-08-2014, 08:24 AM

Liked: 11
Any listening impressions on the Alchemy's?
Old 10-05-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Lpicchiotti, sorry for the late reply (i thought i did) those speakers are significantly better than what i had. to compare them to some of my friends "store bought" onkyo units, yes they are much better. Two of my friends also have B&W 600 series (not sure what model) my buddy who has a proper home theater with b&ws all around and a Integra 60 receiver and had it "professionally" dialed in, well his obviously sounds much better. my other friend who has an older set of B&Ws hooked up to a Yamaha receiver, well my speakers do sound clearer, but not as loud.

I've gotten the boxes for the 1099s done, just need to do some paint and finish the crossover. I unfortunately don't have a schematic at the moment so it might take a little bit of time.

Also hoping the 1099s will compare to the B&W 800s, as that was the point of DIY was to get a comparable sound for a better price :-)

PS if i had just bought 5 of the Alchemy 8's, i probably would have been just as happy with what i got, esp. with he limited amount of work involved.