Official CNC router Help and Suggestions thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #271 of 283 Old 09-19-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
Recent project. First time using a large 45° tool on the CNC. This is a new GR Research OB design.





Very clean looking! What brand mills do you use? And what machine are you running?
Gorilla83 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 283 Old 09-19-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
baniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SE Iowa
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 67
For 95% of project using MDF or BB, I use a 3/8 Onsrud compression. 60-123MW is the part number.

The waveguide was machined with a Whiteside 1508.

The machine is a slightly modified KRMx02. Spindle is an Hitachi M12VC with PreciseBits collets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Very clean looking! What brand mills do you use? And what machine are you running?
baniels is offline  
post #273 of 283 Old 12-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Member
 
awedio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
The machine is a slightly modified KRMx02. Spindle is an Hitachi M12VC with PreciseBits collets.
Can you share more info on your CNC?
How was the Kronos build, modifications, documentation etc?
Any CNC build thread?
awedio is offline  
post #274 of 283 Old 12-15-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
baniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SE Iowa
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I have a build thread, but a lot of changes have been made since the last post.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-wo...79134-cnc.html

Dust collection was a large modification. I have a 6" hose running from the cyclone all the way to the shoe. Lots of head scratching to make that happen... Low ceilings made that a challenge.

I swapped out for the cncrouterparts Pro R&P components, Pepperl Fuchs prox sensors with dual long axis homing for self squaring.

SuperPID spindle speed controller.

The spoil board doesn't have the t-tracks anymore; those were utterly useless for sheet stock and just got in the way of my hold down screws.

I might be forgetting something.

Next on the list is a vacuum hold down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by awedio View Post
Can you share more info on your CNC?
How was the Kronos build, modifications, documentation etc?
Any CNC build thread?
baniels is offline  
post #275 of 283 Old 12-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Member
 
awedio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
I have a build thread, but a lot of changes have been made since the last post.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-wo...79134-cnc.html

Dust collection was a large modification. I have a 6" hose running from the cyclone all the way to the shoe. Lots of head scratching to make that happen... Low ceilings made that a challenge.

I swapped out for the cncrouterparts Pro R&P components, Pepperl Fuchs prox sensors with dual long axis homing for self squaring.

SuperPID spindle speed controller.

The spoil board doesn't have the t-tracks anymore; those were utterly useless for sheet stock and just got in the way of my hold down screws.

I might be forgetting something.

Next on the list is a vacuum hold down.
Thx for the update, will head over & read the build.

If you had to do this project again, what would you do different?

Use the same kit? different parts?
awedio is offline  
post #276 of 283 Old 12-15-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
baniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SE Iowa
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Without a lot of research on the current market, I'd probably go with the cncrouterparts Pro Nema 34 kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awedio View Post
Thx for the update, will head over & read the build.

If you had to do this project again, what would you do different?

Use the same kit? different parts?
Gorilla83 likes this.
baniels is offline  
post #277 of 283 Old 12-15-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
Without a lot of research on the current market, I'd probably go with the cncrouterparts Pro Nema 34 kit.
This. From the many I've talked to that have built some version of that kit, they have been very happy with it.

BTW the vac hold down is WELL worth the effort. I've got to get my dust collection upgraded to all 6" as well.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #278 of 283 Old 12-15-2014, 09:33 AM
Member
 
awedio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
This. From the many I've talked to that have built some version of that kit, they have been very happy with it.

BTW the vac hold down is WELL worth the effort. I've got to get my dust collection upgraded to all 6" as well.
Reading baniels build thread, that Kronos "kit" seems like a lot of work, even though he has access to machine shops etc
awedio is offline  
post #279 of 283 Old 12-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Member
 
awedio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
G83,

If someone was going to send you a file or drawing to cut some BB, what's the best format to send it in?
awedio is offline  
post #280 of 283 Old 12-15-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 103
G-code seems like the easiest route. Next would be Sketchup but then would require G83 to convert it from there.

What router bits has anyone used cutting plastic?

Only ask because I am looking at possibly doing a carbon fiber baffle but then have to cut the holes out. Will experiment first but this project is a very slow moving one.
chrapladm is online now  
post #281 of 283 Old 12-16-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by awedio View Post
G83,

If someone was going to send you a file or drawing to cut some BB, what's the best format to send it in?
Personally I use the vectric products (vcarve pro) so that format would be ideal. Second best would be sketchup.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #282 of 283 Unread Today, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 103
G83 how did you figure out the exact dimensions to be cut out for a WG?

I cant remember which one you did in the past. SEOS 12 or something else I dont remember. Although I could be completely wrong and talking about someone else.
chrapladm is online now  
post #283 of 283 Unread Today, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
G83 how did you figure out the exact dimensions to be cut out for a WG?

I cant remember which one you did in the past. SEOS 12 or something else I dont remember. Although I could be completely wrong and talking about someone else.
The last SEOS24 cutout I did I was given the dimensions from a "rough" measurement.
Gorilla83 is online now  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off