Official CNC router Help and Suggestions thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 283 Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,683
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
That's strange because I can still see the picture that I posted


Can you guys see this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140515_183120.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	122178  
jbrown15 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 283 Old 06-17-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,683
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Sorry, just testing this out again. Let me know if you guys can see these pics.



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140515_171939.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	123370   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140515_175929.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	123378  
jbrown15 is offline  
post #243 of 283 Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Sorry, just testing this out again. Let me know if you guys can see these pics.



That one I can see! Not sure what was up with that.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #244 of 283 Old 06-18-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,683
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
I think I just copied the URL and forgot to put the [img] [/img] because and after it.
jbrown15 is offline  
post #245 of 283 Old 07-07-2014, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
JapanDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Sorry, just testing this out again. Let me know if you guys can see these pics.



That is the first time I have seen that machine. What is its specs?

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

JapanDave is offline  
post #246 of 283 Old 07-07-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Gorilla have you looked at doing any paraline lense shapes on a CNC?

Just curious because I am possibly wanting to try one of these setups. Would be much more accurate with a CNC but I will have to rough it out for a prototype.
chrapladm is online now  
post #247 of 283 Old 07-07-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,683
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post
That is the first time I have seen that machine. What is its specs?
Sorry Dave, I don't really know much about the machine. Its forum member WarrenBerry's friend that works at the place that has the CNC and he cut my sub boxes for me. I'm going to start a speaker build this fall and I'm also going to get him to cut of the speaker cabinets too, I'll use Baltic birch for those though not MDF.
jbrown15 is offline  
post #248 of 283 Old 07-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
blackoper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post
That is the first time I have seen that machine. What is its specs?
Looks like a 3-axis Thermwood 5'x10'. Doesnt appear to have a tool changer. Nm on the hold down. Small phone pic.1200 ipm rapids. Uses thermoods supercontrol windows based controller (i have visited thermwood a few times). If it is old enough it is running a GE Fanuc controller like mine is.

A similar machine but a bit newer. http://www.cncroutercentral.com/Acrobat-quote/Thermwood-CS-45-510-CNC-Router-001-np.pdf

Last edited by blackoper; 07-07-2014 at 10:49 AM.
blackoper is offline  
post #249 of 283 Old 07-07-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,683
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Sorry but what do you mean by "doesn't appear to have a tool changer" ?
jbrown15 is offline  
post #250 of 283 Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
blackoper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Well the pictures are not great but i dont see a tool changer draw bar and tools underneath/behind the spindle nor a rotary tool changer to the side of spindle. Those are the two methods thermwood uses for tool changers but i havnt kept up since about 2011 so there could be more options on new machines. the view is a bit blocked so the draw bar method could still be there. Hence doesnt appear. Hard to really see well on a phone

Last edited by blackoper; 07-07-2014 at 10:52 AM.
blackoper is offline  
post #251 of 283 Old 07-08-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
Gorilla have you looked at doing any paraline lense shapes on a CNC?

Just curious because I am possibly wanting to try one of these setups. Would be much more accurate with a CNC but I will have to rough it out for a prototype.
No sir, have not had a look at doing something like that yet. Been on a CNC break for a few weeks as I've been working on the theater room.



Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoper View Post
Looks like a 3-axis Thermwood 5'x10'. Doesnt appear to have a tool changer. Nm on the hold down. Small phone pic.1200 ipm rapids. Uses thermoods supercontrol windows based controller (i have visited thermwood a few times). If it is old enough it is running a GE Fanuc controller like mine is.

A similar machine but a bit newer. http://www.cncroutercentral.com/Acro...ter-001-np.pdf
+1 definitely a Thermwood and does not appear to have a ATC. A very nice, rigid machine though.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #252 of 283 Old 07-20-2014, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Gorilla how heavy is a 4x8 sheet of BB?

I am trying to see how much heavier my ply will be.
chrapladm is online now  
post #253 of 283 Old 07-20-2014, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
Gorilla how heavy is a 4x8 sheet of BB?

I am trying to see how much heavier my ply will be.
75lbs for 13 ply, 18mm thick.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #254 of 283 Old 07-20-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Thanks for that. Marine Ply is about 84lbs per 18mm sheet. So a little heavier but not much. Ricci said it bounces around quite a bit when it gets LOUD. So I thought maybe marine ply would help in keeping it grounded. Not much of a difference though. Although I am going to add an extra layer to the bottom so I can make the "hatch cover," easier.

Looking at your pics of the CNC cuts for Sibuna's 24" cabinet are inspiring.
chrapladm is online now  
post #255 of 283 Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
Thanks for that. Marine Ply is about 84lbs per 18mm sheet. So a little heavier but not much. Ricci said it bounces around quite a bit when it gets LOUD. So I thought maybe marine ply would help in keeping it grounded. Not much of a difference though. Although I am going to add an extra layer to the bottom so I can make the "hatch cover," easier.

Looking at your pics of the CNC cuts for Sibuna's 24" cabinet are inspiring.
If heavy is what you're after, you could always go MDF. That stuff is heavy! It makes a bit more of a mess, but it's always nice and flat.

Thanks for the complements on Adam's box - we went through 8-9 designs before we decided on the "right" one to cut.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #256 of 283 Old 07-20-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I will be using the Othorn outside. So I will be using the Marine Ply.

Japan Dave have you bought that place next door yet? Looking forward to you getting your CNC also.
chrapladm is online now  
post #257 of 283 Old 07-26-2014, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
JapanDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
I will be using the Othorn outside. So I will be using the Marine Ply.

Japan Dave have you bought that place next door yet? Looking forward to you getting your CNC also.
No, unfortunately they are not willing to sell. So I have resorted to plan B and I am expanding my garage. Going to take a while though, but the CNC should be with me by the end of the year.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

JapanDave is offline  
post #258 of 283 Old 07-26-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Well sad to hear they are not willing to sell but great news that your plan B is in the near future.
chrapladm is online now  
post #259 of 283 Old 08-10-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Been a while since I've contributed anything here. I finally got around to playing around with stepped bevel cuts. After a couple trials, success! Angled cut with a straight bit!


Boomassiv likes this.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #260 of 283 Old 08-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Member
 
awedio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So schweeet

How thick is that material?
awedio is offline  
post #261 of 283 Old 08-10-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 103
What angle and how many passes was that?

Passes doesnt really matter but I was curious. I have seen some amazing carving designs uses a straight bit on a CNC so I figured angled cuts would be easy. Thanks for the update. BUT no video of it in action.....lol After seeing the GTG pics I was only waiting for the next video to be posted.
chrapladm is online now  
post #262 of 283 Old 08-10-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by awedio View Post
So schweeet

How thick is that material?
3/4 birch plywood, actual thickness around .720

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
What angle and how many passes was that?

Passes doesnt really matter but I was curious. I have seen some amazing carving designs uses a straight bit on a CNC so I figured angled cuts would be easy. Thanks for the update. BUT no video of it in action.....lol After seeing the GTG pics I was only waiting for the next video to be posted.
Angles were 63 and 64.5 degrees. I took a .25 inch bit and stepped it down the edges of the board in .110 inch increments (radius of the bit plus some extra room for stepover). Each pass was done in a single slope. It took quite awhile to cut compared to a normal profile cut, but this technique can be used to cut any angle over any specified distance with relatively smooth edges. This video wouldn't have been too exciting, but I can grab something more "interactive" next time I build something.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #263 of 283 Old 08-10-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Its up to you on the videos. I know people have lives and stuff to do so if you ever get a chance that would be awesome.

When cutting angles like you did would it be better to have a few angled bits like 45, 22.5 or no?


I know some of the tool change racks are available but this might be faster. And do you have to zero the bit after the bit is changed by the automatic rack?(not manually)
chrapladm is online now  
post #264 of 283 Old 08-11-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Are there any forum members that live in the south, perhaps around the St Lois, or Memphis, or Nashville, or Jackson Mississippi, or little Rock Arkansas, or even the Tulsa areas? If so, please hit me up!

I am looking for someone to so some CNC work in these general areas which are within driving range for me.

Shipping is so freaking high these days, so I am looking for someone that lives within 4 to 6 hours of the Jonesboro Arkansas area. Send me a PM if you are out there!
Martycool007 is offline  
post #265 of 283 Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
Its up to you on the videos. I know people have lives and stuff to do so if you ever get a chance that would be awesome.

When cutting angles like you did would it be better to have a few angled bits like 45, 22.5 or no?

I know some of the tool change racks are available but this might be faster. And do you have to zero the bit after the bit is changed by the automatic rack?(not manually)
It's probably a good idea to have some bits with common angles around (like 45, 60, etc). At the very least they could be used for putting an edge profile around a panel or something. I like the idea of not having to switch bits and re-zero though when doing it with the stepped 'flutes' like I did above.

An ATC (automatic tool changer) would be AWESOME, but since they are a 8500 dollar+ add on, not very likely for me.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #266 of 283 Old 08-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Member
 
awedio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
G83,

Did you ever get feedback from your guy that "upgraded" to the Laguna CNC?
awedio is offline  
post #267 of 283 Old 08-11-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by awedio View Post
G83,

Did you ever get feedback from your guy that "upgraded" to the Laguna CNC?
No, unfortunately never heard back from him.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #268 of 283 Old 08-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
blackoper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
Are there any forum members that live in the south, perhaps around the St Lois, or Memphis, or Nashville, or Jackson Mississippi, or little Rock Arkansas, or even the Tulsa areas? If so, please hit me up!

I am looking for someone to so some CNC work in these general areas which are within driving range for me.

Shipping is so freaking high these days, so I am looking for someone that lives within 4 to 6 hours of the Jonesboro Arkansas area. Send me a PM if you are out there!
Sent you a PM as I'm 6.5 hours away if you actually drive the speed limit probably under 6 in reality.
blackoper is offline  
post #269 of 283 Old 09-17-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Waiting to see Rilla post some roundover photos.

And Dave any more news on your CNC quest?
chrapladm is online now  
post #270 of 283 Old 09-19-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
baniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SE Iowa
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Recent project. First time using a large 45° tool on the CNC. This is a new GR Research OB design.





baniels is online now  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off