Subwoofer set up question? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Not sure if I'm in the right place but maybe someone can help an older guy trying to get some good sound out of a new system?  

I have home theater (5.1) that I just purchased.  I set it up and everything is working fine except some issues with the subwoofer.  When I play music, I turn on the system and the first thing that happens is you hear the subwoofer.  A few seconds later, the rest of the sound comes on.  The subwoofer doesn't respond to the remote.  It has settings on the back and stays at whatever setting I make manually.  When listening to music (radio) it's fine.  When I switch to TV, the speakers all work but nothing comes out of the subwoofer.

The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V475 receiver and Pioneer speakers.  I have two front,, two rear, a center and a subwoofer.

If anyone can help, please do.  I'm not technically inclined so please be basic is any explanation.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 163
What kind of subwoofer? Is it powered?
post #3 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The part about not getting any sub out when you are watching the tv could be your sound field that you selected. There is an option for "straight" or 2 channel stereo with no sub that you might be selecting for tv. Have you tried changing the sound field option to say, standard or surround?
post #4 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Also the part about not getting any sound right away is somewhat normal, I count about 2 seconds before I get any sound out of my speakers when I first turn it on.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
I count about 2 seconds before I get any sound out of my speakers when I first turn it on.
Time delay on relay

"Beware of Salesmen: They are the modern Svengali, immune to Science and Reality"
post #6 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if that is what Yamaha does, but might be the reason he hears his sub first then his speakers. I will hav emy subs back up and running today, I will double check.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 PM

Best guess w/o a schematic...
With my 3 amps in active crossover - they start on relays to mitigate inrush

"Beware of Salesmen: They are the modern Svengali, immune to Science and Reality"
post #8 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Do you have the Yamaha receiver connected to the TV?

Did you plug in the little microphone and let the receiver configure the speakers?

What speakers do you have?
post #9 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

The way I have it hooked up is this:

The front, center and rear speakers are working fine.  There are a few places to plug in the subwoofer.  I've tried all different possible ports.  Not sure which to use.  If you look up the model and see the back you can see the different ports.  (google:  back of RX-v475) to see pictures.

i believe it is powered.

It's part of the Pioneer system I bought.

post #10 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

I did try the microphone thing that sets up the speakers.  It doesn't get the subwoofer.  when the speakers are making sounds, nothing comes out of the subwoofer.

I have the Direct TV signal going by HDMI to the yamaha receiver, then HDMI Out from the receiver to the HDMI IN on the TV. 

I have an RCA plug coaxial cable.  I used that on a different system (Vizio soundbar w/rear speakers and subwoofer).  That system works fine.  But for some reason, the Yamaha/Pioneer system is giving me fits.

thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts.

post #11 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I have the Direct TV signal going by HDMI to the yamaha receiver, then HDMI Out from the receiver to the HDMI IN on the TV.
Does the TV have an HDMI pass through?
IF so I'd try routing to it first and out then to receiver
Or Into a HDMI splitter to feed both parallel.

post #12 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a Yamaha and I think you are mistaken, there is only 1 place to plug the subwoofer in the back. (Bottom middle of your receiver, says Subwoofer Pre-Out) Do you have the subwoofer turned off in the setup? There is an option to turn the subwoofer off. Its not certain that the subwoofer is powered, do you have the model of the pioneer system you bought?
post #13 of 18 Old 04-10-2014, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the comments.  The sub woofer is a Pioneer SW-8MK2.  It has it's own power cord so I assume that means it's a "powered" sub woofer.  On the rear of the sub woofer there are two ways to connect.  One is a set of 2 RCA inputs, left & right.  the other looks like a standard speaker wire hook up with red & black connections for wires.....red & black for left and another set for right.

I'm using the RCA plugs and because there are two, I didn't use the single "Sub Woofer Pre Out" with has a single RCA input.  Two inputs over is "A/V Out" for two RCA plugs.  I'm in there.

Does this make sense to anyone?  How do I use Sub Woofer Pre Out if there is only one jack while the speaker has two?  

Thanks again

post #14 of 18 Old 04-10-2014, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Again, the sub woofer works with the radio.  It does not work with the TV.  The speakers work in both situations.  When the system is turned on (with radio) the sub woofer starts playing first, then the rest of the speakers come on a few seconds later.  The volume of the sub woofer does not change with the use of the remote.  You have to do it manually.  There is a volume control and a freq control on the back of the sub woofer.  With the TV on, all the speakers work fine, except the sub woofer.  When I did the mic test that comes with the Yamaha receiver there was no sound when it came to testing the sub woofer.  The other speakers tested fine.  

Maybe I should be contacting Pioneer?  or Yamaha about this?

post #15 of 18 Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew O View Post

Thank you for all the comments.  The sub woofer is a Pioneer SW-8MK2.  It has it's own power cord so I assume that means it's a "powered" sub woofer.  On the rear of the sub woofer there are two ways to connect.  One is a set of 2 RCA inputs, left & right.  the other looks like a standard speaker wire hook up with red & black connections for wires.....red & black for left and another set for right.

I'm using the RCA plugs and because there are two, I didn't use the single "Sub Woofer Pre Out" with has a single RCA input.  Two inputs over is "A/V Out" for two RCA plugs.  I'm in there.

Does this make sense to anyone?  How do I use Sub Woofer Pre Out if there is only one jack while the speaker has two?  

Thanks again
This is an incorrect hook up. Just use the one subwoofer out from the receiver to the Red input on the sub. Make sure the speaker settings in the receiver are set to 5.1 and crossed over no higher than 100hz and you should be on your way. Its OK if the white rca plug is not plugged in, if you get any humming just tape it up.
post #16 of 18 Old 04-10-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew O View Post

How do I use Sub Woofer Pre Out if there is only one jack while the speaker has two?  
The sub amp has two inputs in the event that you're using an old 2.0 receiver that does not have a subwoofer out. You'd use the tape send or pre-amp out to send both the left and right signals to the sub. In that case the L/R signals are summed by the sub amp circuitry. An x.1 receiver sums all of the low frequency information to the single subwoofer output, which can go to either input jack on the sub. The other input is not used. The manual for the sub should note that.
Doing it as you have the signal to the sub is tapped prior to the AVR volume control, so that's why the volume control has no effect on it. It's also tapped prior to the AVR power amps, which have a turn-on delay. That's why you hear the sub first. The AVR sub test tone only goes to the sub out, and since you're not using the sub out that's why it doesn't work.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-10-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

What ^^^^^^^ they said. Just use the red one or if it makes you feel better get a Y connector for the that connects to the subwoofer.
post #18 of 18 Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
After you connect the sub to the Yamaha subwoofer pre out, set the Volume on the sub to halfway, set the Freq to the max, and plug the mic back into the Yamaha and let it reconfigure for the sub. There are some more possible options you can tweak after that, but that should get you going.
cessna1466u likes this.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page