Official IST IXL-18 discussion thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Since there are discussions going on about this driver in several other threads currently I feel like this less commonly talked about sub should have its own thread. There are several forum members considering buying this driver, and with the unavailability of several other common models it certainly looks to be a viable option. In searching the forum for IXL-18 info the threads are scattered about and few and far between. I was hoping in this thread we could talk shop about the IXL-18 which seems like the little brother to the more common UXL-18. Hopefully in this thread we can compile some nice information and feedback from current owners, past owners, or others that are just interested in the IXL-18 and have been doing their own research. Opinions are always welcomed.

The IXL-18 mk2 is made in Canada by Innovative Sound Technologies, LTD.

Full specs of course can be found on the IST site:

http://www.istonline.ca/mach5_ixl_18.html

If you own the IXL-18 mk2 your feedback would be great. What are your thoughts on the performance of the driver? Have you done any testing with it and have any data to share? What type and what volume enclosure are you using? Power to the driver? Room volume? etc - all the general stuff.

Also if Mark from IST would like to weigh in at all that would be awesome as he'd certainly be most qualified to speak about the product.

The IXL-18 mk2 is currently priced at $310 CAN, which equates to ~$285 USD. Shipping is included in the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One thing I'm a bit confused on is whether or not this driver performs better in sealed or ported enclosures.

Mark has suggested enclosure volumes for both types on his site so I would assume either works... however in searching online and in other audio forums I've read people saying that they don't appear to model well in vented enclosures and others have said you shouldn't run them sealed. Just very conflicting opinions depending on who you talk to it seems.
post #3 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 413
You know your thread title references the UXL 18 right?

You might try modeling this driver or contacting Mach5. I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly there have been tons of builds with this, e.g. easy button.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

You know your thread title references the UXL 18 right?

You might try modeling this driver or contacting Mach5. I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly there have been tons of builds with this, e.g. easy button.

Fixed the title, thank you for that.

I have contacted Mark about this driver already. Looking for more real world experience and opinions from those that have experience with it - that's what I was looking for. You say there have been tons of builds; in searching this forum I found very little so perhaps the majority of them were not documented. Hopefully this thread will get a few of those that have done IXL-18 builds to chime in on their experiences compared to other products they've used, pros & cons etc.
post #5 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post

Fixed the title, thank you for that.

I have contacted Mark about this driver already. Looking for more real world experience and opinions from those that have experience with it - that's what I was looking for. You say there have been tons of builds; in searching this forum I found very little so perhaps the majority of them were not documented. Hopefully this thread will get a few of those that have done IXL-18 builds to chime in on their experiences compared to other products they've used, pros & cons etc.

Look here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1104368/master-index-of-diy-subwoofer-projects/0_100

also search for easy button.

Cheers.

The driver isn't a mystery. It has lower excursion and weaker motor compared to the UXL18. Sd is also down over 10%.

The specs are posted, model it up in different enclosure types to see how it will perform.

Unless Mark has these in stock, I'd just wait for the Dayton UM18-22 which at least has shorting rings, and a stronger motor, or order a UXL18 which is a better driver than both.

post #6 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I only saw one IXL build in that thread you linked, the Easy Button one and it was from 7 years ago and it was an older version of the IXL-18, the .4 rather than the mk2. Not sure what changed with the latest model of the IXL-18, but I'm assuming it was improved in some way and does a better job than the offering 7 years ago.

I wasn't trying to turn this into a "should I buy this driver" thread, was just looking for feedback from IXL-18 owners. Models can only go so far. I like real world demos. Some that had Sub A and switched to the IXL-18 and can say that in the same room under similar conditions that the IXL-18 in their opinion was either better or worse than Sub A. I find comparisons and real hands on experience to be greatly informative.

Obviously the UXL-18 is the superior driver; that was never in question. But it's out of stock for probably 2 months for those that are considering it.

People have been waiting on the UM18-22 for 6 months now and it's a minimum of 3 more months before it is released. Based on the recent delays, one can only anticipate that there will be more. And another popular driver, the SI18 also isn't available currently.

I figured with all of the out of stock drivers perhaps now would be a time that more people than usual may consider the IXL-18, so hearing from some of the current owners out there would be insightful.
post #7 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I am interested highly in this thread. Not much else is available and this seems like a good choice overall. Would love owner feedback.
BrutalBodyShots likes this.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #8 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

I am interested highly in this thread. Not much else is available and this seems like a good choice overall. Would love owner feedback.

I share your view and hope we can get some nice contributions.
post #9 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I only saw one IXL build in that thread you linked, the Easy Button one and it was from 7 years ago and it was an older version of the IXL-18, the .4 rather than the mk2. Not sure what changed with the latest model of the IXL-18, but I'm assuming it was improved in some way and does a better job than the offering 7 years ago.

I wasn't trying to turn this into a "should I buy this driver" thread, was just looking for feedback from IXL-18 owners. Models can only go so far. I like real world demos. Some that had Sub A and switched to the IXL-18 and can say that in the same room under similar conditions that the IXL-18 in their opinion was either better or worse than Sub A. I find comparisons and real hands on experience to be greatly informative.

Obviously the UXL-18 is the superior driver; that was never in question. But it's out of stock for probably 2 months for those that are considering it.

People have been waiting on the UM18-22 for 6 months now and it's a minimum of 3 more months before it is released. Based on the recent delays, one can only anticipate that there will be more. And another popular driver, the SI18 also isn't available currently.

I figured with all of the out of stock drivers perhaps now would be a time that more people than usual may consider the IXL-18, so hearing from some of the current owners out there would be insightful.

And from a friend who contacted Mach5 recently, he has a 60 day minimum wait on new orders.

It's slim pickings for 18s at the moment.. Maybe you should look at some FiCar drivers like the SP4 or similar.

post #10 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, tons of posts.

http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch/?advanced=1&containingforum[0]=155&search=ixl18&type=35

And 3 threads from the master index I linked

http://www.avsforum.com/t/920648/project-quick-easy-cheap-ixl18-4-llt/0_100

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1064051/13-8cubic-foot-mach5-ixl18-2-2-build/0_100

http://www.avsforum.com/t/875108/ixl-18-meets-the-easy-button/0_100

post #11 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 556
I was considering both casually about 6 months ago until I found a pair of my subs and added those instead. I'd still like a DO 18 in the future to really get that ULF. As nyt pointed out, the UXL just attracts me more. The added motor, Sd, and xmax means it'll make way more ULF much more easily than the IXL. I would take the IXL over the Dayton and SI though, but I'm also from Canada and my wife is from the US and try to support Made in NA. So that is an influence. My experience with Dayton products has been mediocre. My experience with IST has yet to happen. But it seems to me they're a TOTL product. All those build houses in china are the same,,, junk. At least PE backs up their product really well. Good support. But I wouldn't expect anything less from IST. And who wants to be without their subs while waiting on a replacement. I think nyt can tell you about that wink.gif
post #12 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've browsed through almost all of the posts in those threads prior. Thanks for the build links, but again all of those builds are 6-7 years ago with the older model of the IXL-18; I'm looking for some feedback on the newer, current model.
post #13 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

And from a friend who contacted Mach5 recently, he has a 60 day minimum wait on new orders.

It's slim pickings for 18s at the moment.. Maybe you should look at some FiCar drivers like the SP4 or similar.

I wasn't really trying to turn this into a thread about drivers other than the IXL-18.

Regarding the SP4 however, like most car audio subs there seems to be very little field experience with it for HT use. I'm a big fan of product reviews and there simply aren't enough on that driver for HT purposes to really make me feel comfortable about it.
post #14 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I currently have two ixl-18's in modified marty cubes running off of a behringer ep4000.......

I started out with one driver in a sealed 4cuft enclosure, to me it sounded strained and wasn't giving me the spl I was looking for. I then built the 9 cuft ported enclosure modelled on the Mach 5 website, it sounded fantastic and gave me pretty good spl but.... Coming from a mobile audio background I wanted more. Cue up the Marty cubes I haven't noticed a big decrease in spl (maybe 2-3db) going to the smaller enclosure but it's made up for with multiple drivers. I like the cubes with some acoustic foam in them, to me it gives the " tightness " of a sealed box but the output of sealed. I've yet to get these drivers to bottom out or distort in anyway, it's deep clear bass..... By the way I'm in canada and these are the best deal north of the border. That being said I would sure love to hear a couple uxl's but whether they're worth 1000 bucks to upgrade to is a different story. On a side note mark's an awesome guy when I first contacted him about getting a second driver he actually tried to give me some tips on room placement and setup of the first sub to save me some money but alas I was cursed with a less than perfect room, so kudos to mark's customer service.
Rebel975 likes this.
post #15 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 08:02 PM

this is my actual before and after responses for my two ixl's

post #16 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattykidd View Post

I currently have two ixl-18's in modified marty cubes running off of a behringer ep4000.......

I started out with one driver in a sealed 4cuft enclosure, to me it sounded strained and wasn't giving me the spl I was looking for. I then built the 9 cuft ported enclosure modelled on the Mach 5 website, it sounded fantastic and gave me pretty good spl but.... Coming from a mobile audio background I wanted more. Cue up the Marty cubes I haven't noticed a big decrease in spl (maybe 2-3db) going to the smaller enclosure but it's made up for with multiple drivers. I like the cubes with some acoustic foam in them, to me it gives the " tightness " of a sealed box but the output of sealed. I've yet to get these drivers to bottom out or distort in anyway, it's deep clear bass..... By the way I'm in canada and these are the best deal north of the border. That being said I would sure love to hear a couple uxl's but whether they're worth 1000 bucks to upgrade to is a different story. On a side note mark's an awesome guy when I first contacted him about getting a second driver he actually tried to give me some tips on room placement and setup of the first sub to save me some money but alas I was cursed with a less than perfect room, so kudos to mark's customer service.

Fatty thanks for the post. Good to hear that Mark at IST provides excellent customer service as well.

So you actually ditched your 9 ft3 enclosure for a 5 ft3 one? That's an interesting swap, but I get it so that you could have enough room for a second. Do you have the two cubes co-located? How much spacing is between them?

About how much RMS wattage does the ep4000 throw at each IXL-18? Great to hear that they don't bottom out or distort. I assume that you have the current IXL-18 mk2 models? Thanks again for your insight!
post #17 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've browsed through almost all of the posts in those threads prior. Thanks for the build links, but again all of those builds are 6-7 years ago with the older model of the IXL-18; I'm looking for some feedback on the newer, current model.

I don't believe there's any significant differences.

As for made in NA, Mach5 may assemble here, but guess where all the parts come from.

post #18 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Fatty thanks for the post. Good to hear that Mark at IST provides excellent customer service as well.

So you actually ditched your 9 ft3 enclosure for a 5 ft3 one? That's an interesting swap, but I get it so that you could have enough room for a second. Do you have the two cubes co-located? How much spacing is between them?

About how much RMS wattage does the ep4000 throw at each IXL-18? Great to hear that they don't bottom out or distort. I assume that you have the current IXL-18 mk2 models? Thanks again for your insight!

Yup current models, I have one in the front right corner of my room and the other is to my left behind my couch... I believe the ep4000 does 1400 into 4 ohms per channel. My 9cuft was kinda rough but it served the purpose and it was my first build in about 7 years so it was a learning experience, it was just so imposing in the room. I was actually gonna build one to house two drivers it would have been about 12cuft but then I came across the cubes.
post #19 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:

I don't believe there's any significant differences.

As for made in NA, Mach5 may assemble here, but guess where all the parts come from.

The coils are hand wound in house.
post #20 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

The coils are hand wound in house.

And the magnets? yoke? baskets? spiders? cones? dust caps? surrounds? gaskets?

post #21 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:

And the magnets? yolk? baskets? spiders? cones? dust caps? surrounds? gaskets?

N8DOGG would definitely know more then I would but my understand is that the baskets come from off shore but not everything is sourced out of China. And sorry but 9 times out of 10 I'll take something that's hand assembled by someone that knows what he's doing they by some factory working in China that has no clue how to even hook a driver up.

Sorry I have customers that have products manufactured in China under strict quality control measures and even with quality procedures in place it can still be a crap shoot. That's probably the very reason why Nick at SI assembles the HS24's himself yet not the SI 18's.
post #22 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Either way it is paying jobs in NA. Even if two jobs they all add up. I am more than happy to pay more to give jobs to people living in my part of the world.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

post #23 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

N8DOGG would definitely know more then I would but my understand is that the baskets come from off shore but not everything is sourced out of China. And sorry but 9 times out of 10 I'll take something that's hand assembled by someone that knows what he's doing they by some factory working in China that has no clue how to even hook a driver up.

Sorry I have customers that have products manufactured in China under strict quality control measures and even with quality procedures in place it can still be a crap shoot. That's probably the very reason why Nick at SI assembles the HS24's himself yet not the SI 18's.

Your view is very biased and obviously lacking some fundamental knowledge on the topic.

I'd wager the reason is that he doesn't have an order for a large enough batch to have China assemble, plus shipping costs. Anyway, that's speculation. Most of the drivers in use in the world today are assembled in China. AE speakers does a lot of the work in house including machining their own yokes. Much props to John for that.

LMS ultras, china. Eminence, china. etc etc.

post #24 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Either way it is paying jobs in NA. Even if two jobs they all add up. I am more than happy to pay more to give jobs to people living in my part of the world.

And you don't think there are jobs involved at say Dayton due to the drivers they have mfr'd in China? Someone has to design them, support them, etc.

post #25 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 556
I'm pretty sure the basket is an off the shelf item, and a few more components. But doesn't he mill a lot of the hardware himself. It's not a stretch of the imagination. A metal lathe and other metal working tools can build a speaker without much effort.
post #26 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

The jobs at Dayton are more than likely to be minimum wage jobs. I would think it is much harder and pays more to build speakers.

post #27 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

I'm pretty sure the basket is an off the shelf item, and a few more components. But doesn't he mill a lot of the hardware himself. It's not a stretch of the imagination. A metal lathe and other metal working tools can build a speaker without much effort.

Well there aren't many other metal parts aside from the plates the yoke and the basket... the basket being the largest... and just about all of them are from China.

I'm not saying buy your drivers from one place over another, just that it's a global business. The closest I think you'll find to someone doing as much as they can in house is AE speakers.

post #28 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The jobs at Dayton are more than likely to be minimum wage jobs. I would think it is much harder and pays more to build speakers.

Let's just ignore the engineers, logistics, accounting, management, relations, and other jobs. They don't matter.

post #29 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

And a company based here doesn't have those expenses as well. Wow

post #30 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And a company based here doesn't have those expenses as well. Wow

I think the point has flown high over your head or you just don't quite understand how these builders are operating.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs
Gear in this thread - IXL-18 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page