Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

wow those speakers are so nice. What do you do to make the pieces of laminate attach to each other so perfectly? Is it like a mitre joint or do they overlap the sides but they glue together and you can't see the crack?

They overlap. In person if you stand a foot or two away (depending on your eyes) you can see the line. The permanent marker blends them in so well that it doesn't bother me and from more then a couple feet you can't see it at all. If these were regular rectangle boxes I would have mitered them. Trying to miter the joints on these things would have kept me from sleeping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Beautiful work. Those look really nice, in shape and finish.

-Max
Old 05-01-2014, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anyone that has even done "Simple" sub boxes knows how much blood, sweat, tears and cussing have gone into these. Very innovative design and execution and should look and sound amazing.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Here is my final update for this project as I finished this project yesterday! I was out of town last weekend so between work and "husband" projects, it was a scramble to the end. I think they turned out nice but had to add a couple finishing elements to hide my screw ups.

Crossovers going in as well as denim stuffing, ports, feet and terminals:

I added side stripes because for some reason or another I absolutely destroyed the last edge I had to trim and it looked terrible. Go figure, I get worse as I finish rolleyes.gif

Here's a close up, the final two images show the new trim I used around the woofer holes because I'm extremely picky like that and hate the way the stock Eminence gaskets look.

Overall I'm very pleased with how they ended up. I listened to them last night for a couple hours and enjoy the clarity and efficiency. My current theater speakers are JBL synthesis which are only 92-89db's and aren't the most revealing speakers so these will be a nice upgrade. biggrin.gif
Old 05-16-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Wow did those ever turn out awesome! That looks like a lot of stuffing, it's not blocking the ports at all is it?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, the denim lining is around 1.5” thick and I only lined the back curved walls along with the top and bottom. Ports closer to the front so they should be good. smile.gif

I think the picture makes it look like there is more stuffed in there then there really is.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 1201

Without a doubt that is the nicest a Tempest build I have every seen! Excellent work, you should be very proud!
Old 05-16-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Without a doubt that is the nicest a Tempest build I have every seen! Excellent work, you should be very proud!

Thank you JB, yes I am very happy with the work put into these, I need a little break before starting my next build! I'm thinking the SEOs 88 Special for a center along with the 10" coaxials for surrounds.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Awesome job.. They look amazing! The only thing that could make them even better looking (just my taste) is a Cherry/Black combo.

Did you remove the front woofer gasket? I'm not a fan of the way the stock gasket looks either. If you did indeed removed it, how hard was it to take it off? A flat-head screwdriver and Goo Gone?

Now that you had the speakers up and running for a month, could you give a more detailed impression of the Tempests? I'm about to pull the trigger on a DIY Tempest set, but need a little pushing.

Thanks

HD DVD [R.I.P. 02/19/08] :(
Blu-Ray: 900+

Old 06-18-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Very nice!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Wow, just stumbled upon this thread. Those look amazing! They remind me of the JBL everest styling.

One minor suggestion, if it is helpful. Early diffraction is the worst type of diffraction for imaging and spatial cues. The upper and lower fingernail where the curved front overhangs the front baffle could cause such diffraction. A very easy fix that would be very aesthetically congruent would be to obtain some high density wool felt*, maybe a 1/4" thick, dye it black if you can't source black already, apply it to this fingernail and trim to profile. It should be visually imperceptible but sonically helpful.

* let me know if you have a hard time understanding the kind I refer to. I sourced mine a long while back and can't recall the exact details, but it looks like a very dense matt not hairy in any way.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Old 06-18-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saginawjuggalo View Post
Awesome job.. They look amazing! The only thing that could make them even better looking (just my taste) is a Cherry/Black combo.

Did you remove the front woofer gasket? I'm not a fan of the way the stock gasket looks either. If you did indeed removed it, how hard was it to take it off? A flat-head screwdriver and Goo Gone?

Now that you had the speakers up and running for a month, could you give a more detailed impression of the Tempests? I'm about to pull the trigger on a DIY Tempest set, but need a little pushing.

Thanks

I will definitely give a subjective review soon along with some comparisons to other speakers I've built and some commercial offering that to are stand outs in performance and price.

Cherry red does sound like a great option, maybe if I get bored after having these I'll dye them
Old 06-18-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
Wow, just stumbled upon this thread. Those look amazing! They remind me of the JBL everest styling.

One minor suggestion, if it is helpful. Early diffraction is the worst type of diffraction for imaging and spatial cues. The upper and lower fingernail where the curved front overhangs the front baffle could cause such diffraction. A very easy fix that would be very aesthetically congruent would be to obtain some high density wool felt*, maybe a 1/4" thick, dye it black if you can't source black already, apply it to this fingernail and trim to profile. It should be visually imperceptible but sonically helpful.

* let me know if you have a hard time understanding the kind I refer to. I sourced mine a long while back and can't recall the exact details, but it looks like a very dense matt not hairy in any way.

Thanks Josh do you have a link to help out?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

I am quoting ThomasW from HTguide

Quote:
I use a local supplier I found in the yellow pages. Other's with no local supplier use www.mcmastercarr.com Scroll down to the Raw Material/Springs section and click on the Felt link.

It doesn't need to be very thick 1/4" -3/8" is fine
It is often used to make gaskets. I bought two rolls of various thicknesses (I think 1/4 and 3/8) some while back to use for projects. You need pieces to be moderately long but not very wide.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
I am quoting ThomasW from HTguide

It is often used to make gaskets. I bought two rolls of various thicknesses (I think 1/4 and 3/8) some while back to use for projects. You need pieces to be moderately long but not very wide.
Perfect, thanks again Josh. I'll be ordering some of this soon and adding it when I can. I never would have thought of this!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Glad to help. It should, at least in theory, be quite beneficial and its not too expensive to try.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saginawjuggalo View Post
I hate the stock gaskets, makes them look cheap and making a new ring out of mdf was extremely easy and effective upgrade in my opinion

All you have to do to get them off is gently pry them off from the outside edge. Most of the glue is on the inside edge and with a little muscle, it comes right off. I used a sharpy the clean up the edges from the gasket and very little amount of rubber cement to glue the new mdf rings on.