need a sub idea using pre-fabbed box. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-15-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
My buddy and I are working on a sealed 15" Dayton Ultimax 4.0cu ft build. I received the the advice for that about a year ago here. He is a carpenter and I wanted to do a piano gloss black box. However, he has been extremely busy and we can't work together probably for a few months. We have the exterior cut and glued but I am halted at bracing.

In the meantime, I am dying with my current crappy old 10" 100W sub. I need to buy one of the pre-cut boxes and build a sub at my own home. I need advice on what direction to go. The 15" Dayton will eventually make its way here.

The current room is a basement thats 14X19x8' ceiling. However, I am more than likely to move out soon into an apartment where my sub(s) will not be turned up. Regardless I'd like good sound quality, because I can always sell them to a friend. Size of box is a concern because an apartment will not have a ton of space. Also, most of my friends are married or practically married and wives scowl at the big bass boxes.

I'm thinking 12' ported w/ some sort of iNuke amp. I'm open to suggestions if that is not a great idea. Thanks in advance!

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-15-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Size of box is a concern because an apartment will not have a ton of space. Also, most of my friends are married or practically married and wives scowl at the big bass boxes
Box size is is one of the variables in what is called Hoffman's Iron Law.
The other variables are: Desired Low Frequency Extension ) and how loud does it have to be.

So a large box is out: then you have to decide how to play the other 2 variables.
A small box and LFE means that it requires more power to achieve a target SPL vs a Larger box OR not going for LFE.

"Beware of Salesmen: They are the modern Svengali, immune to Science and Reality"
post #3 of 4 Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You could pick up a flat pack box for the Dayton 15" until you and your buddy finish the custom box. The 3 cu ft box is only $90.

Otherwise maybe an Anarchy Tapped Horn would work?

There are a number of boxes at diysoundgroup.com that will fit your needs.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-15-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
the 4.0 cubic ported box seems nicely sized.

What do you guys think about that? Should I just select one of the two Dayton's recommended?

Amp suggestions?

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page