Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 663
I agree it would provide a lower corner and probably some gain. But that big horn looks like there are a lot of diffraction places. I really don't know, first photo I've seen. Could just look wrong. But considering the first noesis used such nice horns, I wonder...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

So I was doing more research and I know I don't have the knowledge currently to do such an intricate project. I could learn but I don't really have the time to invest that much. It would be awesome if I did though as there is a ton to learn.

One of the questions I had was why can't I just get a big horn with the coaxial compression driver in back and fire 4 12"ers into the horn from each side of the horn. That might or might not work. I knew Danleys have a band pass baffle with holes cut to let in the midrange and midbass but I'm sure I don't understand the whole reasons other than a band pass that helps control the frequencies and time coherence with the horn. I read through part of this thread and it was pretty damn informative, especially page 12.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1323104/danley-diy-synergy-horn-kit

Another interesting thing I gleamed from that thread was that the SH50 is (one of) the primary speakers Danley is known for. Well, one of the things I didn't care for on the Danleys is a somewhat muddled midbass section, at least compared to the Noesis, as well as a rolled off upper range. The Noesis IMO was more articulate.

Couple the midbass with discussion in the link I posted above about the bandpass cut outs potentially creating some issues in the midbass/midrange and I start to wonder if there would be some inherent challenges in getting a Danley type speaker to have ultra clean midbass. Now, my listening observations are based on a single listening session at Beasts during the GTG and may not have been optimized after all of the changes in equipment that day.

What I'd really like is the Noesis sound with the Danley soundstage and more midbass output...in a smaller than 215 size.

I'll continue to look at this on the side and continue to increase my knowledge and maybe I'll have the skills one day to build such a project but without help, I don't think I can pull this one off on my own.

I had a chance to hear both the Danley and JTR designs at the last NE meeting. Both did some things very well but trying to get a mix of both into one Danley-type design is going to be difficult. The aspect that I liked most about the Danley is that it images very well. The pattern control works and gives good image depth and width (though the width is more restricted than I like to hear but this is to be expected because of their focus being on pro audio in larger spaces). The JTR was much more directional and that's just inherent in the driver types and layout.

Both had the typical artifacts from a compression driver tweeter but the top end response on the JTR (as well as upper midrange) was much smoother. This might just be a function of the crossover voicing and maybe some equalization would help with the Danley. If it's more related to the on-axis versus off-axis dispersion then it might be more difficult to fix. Dynamics were good with both speakers but the JTR seemed to handle peaks a little more cleanly.

The main difference though was the tonality. Coming from a high-end 2-channel background this is what I usually focus on initially when hearing a speaker for the first time. In that respect I think the Noesis was much more neutral. Again, part of this could be that the Danley was designed for use in a large venue and voiced for that application. But there were other issues going on that would not be related to that. The problem is that with the Unity design you have ringing (resonances) in drivers being loaded in a horn and bandpass compartment. This adds a roughness / distortion to the sound. This makes the filtering above the bandpass frequency of the woofers and mids very important. The pressurization on the driver itself can also be a factor.

It could be that with a DSP crossover / EQ that you might be able to improve the sound and mitigate the artifacts from the bandpass; however, you would have to measure the design with and without the passive crossover to determine that. I know that Tom has said they feel the passive crossover is sufficient. The bottom line though is that if you substitute other drivers you'll still have to deal with the constraints of the design format.
Archaea likes this.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #33 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Craig View Post

The main difference though was the tonality. Coming from a high-end 2-channel background this is what I usually focus on initially when hearing a speaker for the first time. In that respect I think the Noesis was much more neutral. Again, part of this could be that the Danley was designed for use in a large venue and voiced for that application. But there were other issues going on that would not be related to that. The problem is that with the Unity design you have ringing (resonances) in drivers being loaded in a horn and bandpass compartment. This adds a roughness / distortion to the sound. This makes the filtering above the bandpass frequency of the woofers and mids very important. The pressurization on the driver itself can also be a factor.

Thanks Rick for so succinctly putting into words what I've been thinking...that there are issues inherent to the horn enclosure that might make what I want difficult or impossible to achieve. From an engineering perspective, I'm of the camp to keep things simpler but a band pass horn is not that. I think one of the issues could be alleviated by using a $700 coaxial compression driver vs the cheaper compression driver Danley currently uses. This would reduce the challenges in the critical integration between upper and mid frequencies. Taking midrange band passes out of the equation would simplify things so that you are only trying to integrate a midbass in band pass with the coaxial compression driver. Simpler but still very complex. I wonder if Danley has figured out that it would be very difficult to get true 2-channel audiophile quality (I'm talking best of the best) from his design or is it simply he is so successful and busy putting his speakers in places like Lambeau Field? I don't know but I'd be interested in finding out.

I exchanged some PMs with another member and he mentioned trying a similar project and using the MiniDSP to integrate the different speakers of the horn. He also mentioned the MiniDSP Dirac, which I wasn't familiar with. One thought I had there is do we see the changes the Dirac automatically does so we can further tweak....or more applicable here, can we take what the Dirac measures and fixes via EQ and time-alignment to build a better crossover. I'm not sure if their device works like that but it will be something to look at when I get time. Even if the MiniDSP Dirac did give away some of its secrets, my knowledge is pretty basic in the crossover arena so I'd have to take a crash course in advanced crossover design.

Sounds like a challenging project. I just need to get my current system finished so I can start tweaking and who knows, my current system with some tweaking and room treatments might make me forget all about the Danley Noesis. Then again, I always like having projects that challenge my knowledge and the Danley Noesis would be like a Masters level thesis. smile.gif
post #34 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Was there any attempt at doing any eq to the loudspeakers-or were they presented "as they were"?

The reason for the question is very often we have certain preferences based on the response curve in a particular listening room.

You have to look at what the "design goal" is of the loudspeaker.

For example the Sh50 is used in all sorts of different sized rooms from a HT to a large outdoor facility.

Just this last week I was helping align a system that quite a pile of Sh50's. I am not sure if it was 25 or 50.

This was for thousands of people spread over probably 1/2 mile.

So the "tuning" is different for that than it would be in a closed in HT.

The Sh50 crossover alignment was intended to be very flat in an outside environment-free of reflections.

Once that cabinet is placed inside a room-depending on where it is in the room (in relation to walls/ceiling etc) the response is going to change.

Therefore in situ adjustments need to be made. Because you might prefer speaker A in room X but speaker B in room Y. So which one is better? hard to say.

Especially on the lower freq-the location of the speaker in the room can yield very different results.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #35 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 05:01 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

Was there any attempt at doing any eq to the loudspeakers-or were they presented "as they were"?

The reason for the question is very often we have certain preferences based on the response curve in a particular listening room.

For example the Sh50 is used in all sorts of different sized rooms from a HT to a large outdoor facility.

Just this last week I was helping align a system that quite a pile of Sh50's. I am not sure if it was 25 or 50.

This was for thousands of people spread over probably 1/2 mile.

So the "tuning" is different for that than it would be in a closed in HT.

The Sh50 crossover alignment was intended to be very flat in an outside environment-free of reflections.

Once that cabinet is placed inside a room-depending on where it is in the room (in relation to walls/ceiling etc) the response is going to change.

Therefore in situ adjustments need to be made. Because you might prefer speaker A in room X but speaker B in room Y. So which one is better? hard to say.

Especially on the lower freq-the location of the speaker in the room can yield very different results.

Speakers were set up as-is. I love my room response as it is. There are small adjustments that I might make at some point, but the response free of any eq yields itself to a sound that I absolutely love. It kind of speaks for itself:

I don't mirror the midbass/midrange issues that David felt was an issue. Point of fact, in my demo with Laugsbach this afternoon, I ran the 50's full range for a second on a track or two and he couldn't believe what they were able to do on their own. I almost had to show him there were no subs on, for some acoustic and classical tracks. He also couldn't believe the center was not engaged. After yet another demo of my setup, I am still completely in hog heaven right now. I was almost sweating at one point watching a few tracks of Through the Never I was so excited. Love it smile.gif
its phillip likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #36 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I don't mirror the midbass/midrange issues that David felt was an issue. Point of fact, in my demo with Laugsbach this afternoon, I ran the 50's full range for a second on a track or two and he couldn't believe what they were able to do on their own. I almost had to show him there were no subs on, for some acoustic and classical tracks. He also couldn't believe the center was not engaged. After yet another demo of my setup, I am still completely in hog heaven right now. I was almost sweating at one point watching a few tracks of Through the Never I was so excited. Love it smile.gif

Beast - that is so awesome man!!!! I can absolutely believe he expected the center to be engaged because your speakers throw such a HUMONGOUS soundstage, just astonishing. When we were listening to music on your speakers, I did enjoy them and could easily see myself living with them, especially for movies. It was only when we were doing the critical A/B listening that I favored aspects of each speaker. If we all had the same criteria and ears for speakers, there likely wouldn't be so many on the market. But the goal is what you've already achieved...absolute enjoyment of your speakers. Congrats!
post #37 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ivan,

Thanks so much for joining in. I had heard of the Danley's but didn't really know anything about them until I went to Beast's GTG and overall I was really impressed with the SH50s but thought they were missing something when compared to the Noesis 212s.

If you go over to the JTR thread, you will see that Goodoc bought a pair of SM60F (formerly owned by Beast) to try in his own room and is still in the middle of testing them but has the same impression I had of Beast's SH50s, they are being let down by the compression driver/midrange. That's not to say that it isn't a great speaker, it just happens to be in my opinion, not as strong in that particular aspect.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/18420

Regarding my comments about the midbass, I would need to listen again as we weren't using Beast's subs at the time and so the integration might not have been as good. So I'm not really concerned about the midbass but I did find the upper and midrange to not be as clear and articulate as the Noesis 212. But damn, I absolutely loved the soundstage, it just enveloped you.

I know there are tons of speakers on the market at all levels and it is crazy to think a speaker no matter how good will be liked by everyone. However, it seems many of us on here are very interested in Danley for our home theater. It was awesome reading your Danley Kit thread and learning about the cool stuff you guys do, especially the design goals for Lambeau Field.

If you were able to build a SM60 size speaker with a coaxial compression driver similar to the 212 (maybe voiced not quite as bright) and a strong, articulate midbass that covered the 50/60-20,000 range, I'd think you'd have a hit on your hands. Assuming I haven't dialed in my 212s by then, I would be one of the first to drive down to Georgia to listen to a pair and potentially leave with them in hand. I'm sure you're busy and successful but I really do hope you find some time to make such a speaker for the home theater market.

David
post #38 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Speakers were set up as-is. I love my room response as it is. There are small adjustments that I might make at some point, but the response free of any eq yields itself to a sound that I absolutely love. It kind of speaks for itself:

The "phantom center" is something the Danley products excel in. When the phase is well behaved-and the sound comes from a single source (ie not separated drivers), the imaging can be quite scary. Very often have to walk up to the center speakers "just to be sure" it is not on.

When you have cancellations (like from a line source/line array etc) you simply cannot get the phantom image as good as a single source of sound.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #39 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you were able to build a SM60 size speaker with a coaxial compression driver similar to the 212 (maybe voiced not quite as bright) and a strong, articulate midbass that covered the 50/60-20,000 range, I'd think you'd have a hit on your hands. Assuming I haven't dialed in my 212s by then, I would be one of the first to drive down to Georgia to listen to a pair and potentially leave with them in hand. I'm sure you're busy and successful but I really do hope you find some time to make such a speaker for the home theater market.

David
We are working on a Sm60 size/style product specifically for the home market. Along with a number of other projects-so it is hard to stay focused sometimes. We are probably working on 20 or more new products of all different sizes/shapes/performance etc. Along with all the "day to day" things that come up-and getting ready for our big trade show (Infocomm) means that some development will slow down over the next 2 months. But we will see what we can get out. We are planning on showing some new products at the show.

All in due time. Everybody has different needs.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #40 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When talking about all of the projects I lost track whether we were talking about your business or my house. smile.gif I understand and will be impatiently waiting on your SM60 style home theater offering. Until then I'll either have my Noesis 212s dialed in and if not, I may start doing my own DIY Danley Kit. Of course, I don't know the physics as well obviously so I would just focus on other scientific aspects like design of experiments. smile.gif Good luck at the show Ivan and with your day to day business. It really sounds fascinating.
post #41 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:

The "phantom center" is something the Danley products excel in. When the phase is well behaved-and the sound comes from a single source (ie not separated drivers), the imaging can be quite scary. Very often have to walk up to the center speakers "just to be sure" it is not on.

When you have cancellations (like from a line source/line array etc) you simply cannot get the phantom image as good as a single source of sound.

Any speaker with decent directivity will provide good imaging like that. It also improves as you treat your room. I've definitely had to put my ear up to my center before to make sure it wasn't on. Many of the speakers with waveguides that have become popular in the DIY forum will perform great in this manner.
post #42 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 663
It seems you like the mids and highs of the 212. But the mid bass of the Danley. Hmm. Ok. Mid bass is heavily influenced by room and eq. So then what you want is a the 212 with the proper eq.

Unless there is more to your mid bass preference that you're not aware of. For instance, perhaps the attack AND the pulse of a kick drum sounded really good in the danleys. In that's case, it's not just the mid bass. It's the mids and upper bass combined with the mid and low bass.

In general, you have to be careful when examining speakers on the short term like you've done. Who's to say you wouldn't bring the 212s home and find them irritating after a month. But during your visit they had snap, clarity, and detail. You see, those things can sound great in the short term, but in the long term they're distortions. I'm not saying that's what happened. Just saying, consider that a possibility.
post #43 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

It seems you like the mids and highs of the 212. But the mid bass of the Danley. Hmm. Ok. Mid bass is heavily influenced by room and eq. So then what you want is a the 212 with the proper eq.

Unless there is more to your mid bass preference that you're not aware of. For instance, perhaps the attack AND the pulse of a kick drum sounded really good in the danleys. In that's case, it's not just the mid bass. It's the mids and upper bass combined with the mid and low bass.

In general, you have to be careful when examining speakers on the short term like you've done. Who's to say you wouldn't bring the 212s home and find them irritating after a month. But during your visit they had snap, clarity, and detail. You see, those things can sound great in the short term, but in the long term they're distortions. I'm not saying that's what happened. Just saying, consider that a possibility.

All good points. Actually, what I like most about the Danley's is the enveloping soundstage. I own the Noesis 212s but haven't had my room completely setup so haven't had a chance to tweak and dial-in my 212s. I do like the 212s but wish they had a little more midbass, but that is why I'll be crossing my 3 LMS 5400s and future 2 UXL-18s over around 100, maybe even 120. And then I'll work on room treatments.

Hopefully after all of that I'll be ecstatic with my system like Beast is about his Danley SH50s. If after all that I still have an inkling for something else, I hope Danley will have the aforementioned home theater speaker done or I might actually go through with this proposed DIY Danley Noesis project.
post #44 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
My minions and fusion mtm are in a much lower price point but they both sounded far better when I eqd them to my liking. I'd say 15% better. The minions needed some snap up top and fusion a little more midbass.
post #45 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:

+1
Quote:

All good points. Actually, what I like most about the Danley's is the enveloping soundstage. I own the Noesis 212s but haven't had my room completely setup so haven't had a chance to tweak and dial-in my 212s. I do like the 212s but wish they had a little more midbass, but that is why I'll be crossing my 3 LMS 5400s and future 2 UXL-18s over around 100, maybe even 120. And then I'll work on room treatments.

Hopefully after all of that I'll be ecstatic with my system like Beast is about his Danley SH50s. If after all that I still have an inkling for something else, I hope Danley will have the aforementioned home theater speaker done or I might actually go through with this proposed DIY Danley Noesis project.

I have EQ'd the 60's and it has made a big difference in my room. I know they have a bit more extension than the 50's and its possible you may find them different enough from the 50's.

I can tell you that I listened to enough content today that blew me away to say I think some of the issues I've encountered are source related, and some EQ related.

The Danley's do something that the JTR's don't, just don't ask me exactly what it is because I have a hard time explaining it smile.gif. Is it perfect with all content? No. But when it gets it right it does it better than any speakers I've personally heard.

It was simply a better speaker on a lot of content than I've ever heard from my 212's. It's at volume that they really shine due to their design attributes. But that's when I'm looking for the best performance, so I'm OK with that.

I'm really doubting at this point that the 212's are ever going back.
beastaudio likes this.
post #46 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:

I like getting folks to walk all the way up and put their nose basically ON the screen and tell me the center isn't on. In the dead center of the room, and basically almost inside the L/R's, you still get a fantastic image. It is unreal.

Quote:

Yep. There is something with the full-on phase linear approach that can basically take any single instrument's sound (including their 2,3,4th order harmonics) and make it all so coherent and seamless that is hard to deny. The concert discs I own, including the fan favorite Metallica disc are all the same at this point, There are so many more aspects of the full drum kits that I finally "get" now that I never have before. You can hear everything down to the snare's slight rim clicks and all. Guitar is on another level too, with string resonance and such. I feel like I need to go through ALL of my content all over again just to hear it for the first time. I feel like that is truth enough in the Synergy design all on its own smile.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #47 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

I have EQ'd the 60's and it has made a big difference in my room.

What EQ did you do?
post #48 of 456 Old 04-19-2014, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm really doubting at this point that the 212's are ever going back.

Meaning they won't go back into the theater and you will be selling the 212s? Interesting!
post #49 of 456 Old 04-20-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

When talking about all of the projects I lost track whether we were talking about your business or my house. smile.gif I understand and will be impatiently waiting on your SM60 style home theater offering. Until then I'll either have my Noesis 212s dialed in and if not, I may start doing my own DIY Danley Kit. Of course, I don't know the physics as well obviously so I would just focus on other scientific aspects like design of experiments. smile.gif Good luck at the show Ivan and with your day to day business. It really sounds fascinating.

Do you currently have any room treatments and/or have you EQ'd your JTR's at all? Tell us a little bit about your listening room and how you have the speakers placed. I would venture to say that adding some room treatments would most likely fix most of these short comings you are experiencing with your JTR's.

I would start with treating the side walls first reflection points with 4" of OC703 and have them spaces 4" off the wall. Then you can do some similar panels on the front wall and if you can get your wife to approve, then do some on the ceiling, and perhaps consider some diffusion panels on the rear wall. At some point you will need bass traps in the corners.

Speaking of bass, what kind of subs are you using? An upgrade in your number of subs and bass traps would probably help substantially and could possibly make your desire to build a Danley Seaton hybrid speaker much less appealing!

Last but not least, you could pick up a trio of Behringer iNuke1000dsp amplifiers and run each of your three JTR mains off its own amp as these amps also have built in EQ/DSP abilities!
post #50 of 456 Old 04-20-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep. There is something with the full-on phase linear approach that can basically take any single instrument's sound (including their 2,3,4th order harmonics) and make it all so coherent and seamless that is hard to deny. The concert discs I own, including the fan favorite Metallica disc are all the same at this point, There are so many more aspects of the full drum kits that I finally "get" now that I never have before. You can hear everything down to the snare's slight rim clicks and all. Guitar is on another level too, with string resonance and such. I feel like I need to go through ALL of my content all over again just to hear it for the first time. I feel like that is truth enough in the Synergy design all on its own smile.gif

You hit the nail on the head with the drums. I was listening to some live Jazz stuff and there's a quality and resolution(clarity/separation?) that is just awesome. Its like "4k HD drums", lol. All comments about lack of detail just do not apply with some content. Its like the Danley's just come alive in a way that is remarkable. I've simply not experienced music like that with the 212's which are, in comparison, clinical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post

What EQ did you do?

Just Audyssey. Pro cal. I'm not a huge Audyssey fan actually because I typically don't like what it does, but for some reason it has done a fantastic job with the Danley's in my room without the usual negative side effects I typically hear.

Quote:

Meaning they won't go back into the theater and you will be selling the 212s? Interesting!

No definitive decision yet. But I actually don't see how I could take them out at this point. It's not like I'm blown away by everything I play on the Danley's, but there is content where the Danley's just play at a level that I've never heard from the 212's. In other words, they're not better at everything than the 212's, but on the stuff they are it is magical. I guess you could say the Danley's are, overall, more visceral.

I don't have to make any rash decisions, so I'm not going to. I know from experience that speaker impressions evolve over time and I'm not going to short cut that process.
post #51 of 456 Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As I've said, I really haven't had a chance to really listen to my system in my room due to projects but I'm almost done with the living room. After being on AVS, I've learned the importance of the room to having good speakers sound great.

This post and my desire to have a better compression driver on the Danley was after listening to my Noesis 212 A/B against the Danley SH50. That makes 3 rooms I've heard the Noesis 212s in and I came to the conclusion that my ideal speaker MIGHT be a combination of the Noesis coaxial compression driver added to a Danley synergy horn. Apparently Goodoc agreed as he dropped several thousand dollars to buy a used set of the SM60Fs to try them in his room against the 212s.

I started this thread to see about the possibilities and I learned a lot about the band pass design of the synergy horn, which is cool. I also learned I really don't have the technical knowledge or time to do this project but may in the future. However, hopefully the interest will motivate Danley to prioritize their home theater offering that will provide me exactly what I want.

Until then, I'll be enjoying my 212s and dialing them in with room treatments and MiniDSP 10x10EQ.

Regarding the rest of my system, I'm running 7.1 with an LCR of 212 HT-LPs and 4 Slanted 8s for surround. I have 3 LMS-5400 18" subs powered with 2000w each from a SpeakerPower SP2-8000. I also have a pair of UXL-18 subs I'll be adding to the mix once I receive my second preorder sub. I will be buying a second SP2-8000 and that will allow me to put 4,000w each to the LMS-5400s and 2,000w each to the UXL-18s. My living room is long and slightly narrow and opened in the back to the kitchen. 2 of the LMS-5400s are up front flanking the center and the 3rd is in an end table enclosure in the back right of the room. The pair of UXL-18s will be under the center of the couches on both side walls so the bass will be well distributed.

So I've got a solid base of equipment and now need to work on treatments and EQing. Then I'll add a projector to the mix this fall and I'll be set. If I still have an itch this fall for a Danley Noesis, then I'll itch it...or hopefully I can just go down to Danley to listen to their latest home theater offering.
post #52 of 456 Old 04-20-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

You're welcome to come listen to the 60's. I think I'm close enough to dialing them in to have a demo.
post #53 of 456 Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Gooddoc, thanks for sharing your thoughts, please keep us updated.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #54 of 456 Old 04-20-2014, 10:26 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Dgage, bass trapping, as much as you can aesthetically handle. Then your bass, and mid-bass reproduction and assessment will be much easier and enjoyable in my experience.

So much depends on room. Interesting comments, I appreciate your position.

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #55 of 456 Old 04-20-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Gooddoc, thanks for sharing your thoughts, please keep us updated.

It's a pleasure smile.gif. I'm in seventh heaven right now spending time with two of my all time favorite speakers from blind shootouts. It doesn't get any better than this. biggrin.gif
post #56 of 456 Old 04-20-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Yeah, I was proud. He placed third, for the entire school.
That's the advantage of DIY, no time limit ... you could eventually get the fabrication/woodworking right. Now, on the other hand, the skill-set required for proper integration/crossover of a multi-element loudspeaker, that is a tough one. You're right about that.

That's a cool project! A lot better than the last one I did in high school on paper airplanes👍
post #57 of 456 Old 04-20-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

You're welcome to come listen to the 60's. I think I'm close enough to dialing them in to have a demo.

Where are you located?
post #58 of 456 Old 04-20-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Dgage, I completely understand your thought process here of wanting the best of both worlds. When I had the SH 50's I kept thinking if only I could combine the sound I love with my 212's with the unreal soundstage of the Danley's then I would have the perfect speaker.

One more characteristic of the Danley's that really impressed me. Their consistency of sound throughout the room. No matter where I would sit or move to the sound didn't seem to change. Now, the measurements didn't back this up but subjectively I know what I heard.

It was interesting, of the 6-7 guys that heard the comparison it was a 50/50 split on preference.
post #59 of 456 Old 04-20-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Dgage, I completely understand your thought process here of wanting the best of both worlds. When I had the SH 50's I kept thinking if only I could combine the sound I love with my 212's with the unreal soundstage of the Danley's then I would have the perfect speaker.

One more characteristic of the Danley's that really impressed me. Their consistency of sound throughout the room. No matter where I would sit or move to the sound didn't seem to change. Now, the measurements didn't back this up but subjectively I know what I heard.

It was interesting, of the 6-7 guys that heard the comparison it was a 50/50 split on preference.

So since you've had a lot more time than I to dial in your 212s, how are they doing now? Would you still flirt with a Danley offering?
post #60 of 456 Old 04-20-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Where are you located?

Toms River, NJ
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs