DR-250 stack and Yorkvilles U215's! Which one will I like better? - Page 31 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 928 Old 02-12-2015, 10:50 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
I think more people should get some crowsons. The tactile feel they add across the frequency range is nice. I cross mine at 60hz, with some dynamic EQ on the lower end as well.
I'll let you borrow my inuke if I may borrow your Crowsons.

Heh heh! I was gonna say, "Then buy me some Crowsons!" but I'll allow you the privilege of having my just "borrow" them.

Yeah.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 928 Old 02-13-2015, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
I think more people should get some crowsons. The tactile feel they add across the frequency range is nice. I cross mine at 60hz, with some dynamic EQ on the lower end as well.
I haven't experiences the quality Crowson transducers but I have felt others. Granted I'm on a wood floor but I liked the effect from multiple LMS-5400s even more. Went over to Coach's place for the first time and nicely said I don't like your transducers and your 3 DO HT18s should give you more. I helped him get more out of his 6 HT18s and he ended up pulling his transducers; again not Crowsons and he too is on a wood floor. If I weren't on a wood floor I might want transducers too but glad I'm not on concrete.
post #903 of 928 Old 02-13-2015, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I haven't experiences the quality Crowson transducers but I have felt others. Granted I'm on a wood floor but I liked the effect from multiple LMS-5400s even more. Went over to Coach's place for the first time and nicely said I don't like your transducers and your 3 DO HT18s should give you more. I helped him get more out of his 6 HT18s and he ended up pulling his transducers; again not Crowsons and he too is on a wood floor. If I weren't on a wood floor I might want transducers too but glad I'm not on concrete.
I agree with regular transducers, and on a wood floor they're not needed. The Crowson type, which sit under the chair, are a world different. Very natural feeling. Unless I told you about them, you might not even realize they're running.
atabea likes this.
post #904 of 928 Old 02-13-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post
Is there any quick,easy and precise method to determine the resonant frequency of furniture?
Not that I know of; other than hauling a big subwoofer, extension cord, and android phone into the store with you...

That would be great to be able to determine which seating is ULF friendly...just don't know of a practical way, other than folks sharing their makes/models of their ULF resonant HT seating.

Unfortunately, my HT seats/couch are no longer made...
post #905 of 928 Old 02-13-2015, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 90
We need a DIY couch resonator kit. Figure out why some couches resonate and duplicate!
post #906 of 928 Old 02-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
We need a DIY couch resonator kit. Figure out why some couches resonate and duplicate!
DIY Crowson, eh?

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #907 of 928 Old 02-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Get on it Scotty!

Quote:
MKtheater -I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show
My speaker build PROJECT OVERKILL WWMTMSS
Photobucket link to build photos
Photobucket link to Project Overkill cut down
post #908 of 928 Old 02-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin111 View Post
Get on it Scotty!

"I made this new product for extra tactile sensation at the seat. Mind trying it out?"

"Sure!"

kingpin111 likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #909 of 928 Old 02-13-2015, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
DIY Crowson, eh?
I'm thinking most couches have empty space underneath. Maybe adding some thin paneling in there coupled to the seat framing, but not braced, would vibrate just like peoples pictures and walls do when the bass hits, would do the trick?
post #910 of 928 Old 02-13-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Notnyts's right, the Crowson's never cease to impress. That subtle feeling you get from bass below 15hz - the Crowson's re-create it perfectly IMO but you can get so much more of it than you can from subs. It's fun testing them out down really low, you can feel them all the way down to a 1hz test tone. The seat will move VERY slowly and give you a wobbly/unstable feeling. It's a bit unnerving.

Nearfield sub and a Crowson compliment each other perfectly. I'm constantly playing around with different crossovers for both of them. Currently I have the Crowson HPF set at 40hz but that's about to change to 60 because I just read that Not has his set there and I'm extremely impressionable.
post #911 of 928 Old 02-13-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Notnyts's right, the Crowson's never cease to impress. That subtle feeling you get from bass below 15hz - the Crowson's re-create it perfectly IMO but you can get so much more of it than you can from subs. It's fun testing them out down really low, you can feel them all the way down to a 1hz test tone. The seat will move VERY slowly and give you a wobbly/unstable feeling. It's a bit unnerving.

Nearfield sub and a Crowson compliment each other perfectly. I'm constantly playing around with different crossovers for both of them. Currently I have the Crowson HPF set at 40hz but that's about to change to 60 because I just read that Not has his set there and I'm extremely impressionable.
Carp you need to come visit one day and I need to do the same as well. I want you to experience 5hz in my theater and tell me how it compares to the crowsons. Two movies off the top of my head have a 5hz content and they are "All is Lost" (terrible movie though) and "Lone Survivor". You said you can get so much more out of the crowsons than subs, which maybe they case on concrete slabs, but in my theater it is so obvious that buying crowsons have never crossed my mind. Like I said earlier, If I were in a basement, I think that I might want them. This is why I need to come visit you and see what sub 15hz feels and sounds like.
post #912 of 928 Old 02-13-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Carp you need to come visit one day and I need to do the same as well. I want you to experience 5hz in my theater and tell me how it compares to the crowsons. Two movies off the top of my head have a 5hz content and they are "All is Lost" (terrible movie though) and "Lone Survivor". You said you can get so much more out of the crowsons than subs, which maybe they case on concrete slabs, but in my theater it is so obvious that buying crowsons have never crossed my mind. Like I said earlier, If I were in a basement, I think that I might want them. This is why I need to come visit you and see what sub 15hz feels and sounds like.
I'd love to!! I've never experienced single digits on a suspended floor, always wanted to. The problem is I'm never down your way...

Do you ever make it up close to KC for any reason? If so you'll have to come over for sure!!
post #913 of 928 Old 02-13-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I'd love to!! I've never experienced single digits on a suspended floor, always wanted to. The problem is I'm never down your way...

Do you ever make it up close to KC for any reason? If so you'll have to come over for sure!!

The Eagles play the Chiefs in 2016 and it should be at Arrowhead. I will try to come and visit you then. I know that is a long way away, but I don't have any other reason to go up to KC besides to visit.
post #914 of 928 Old 02-14-2015, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 1497
I like the early NFL planning...
Pain Infliction likes this.
post #915 of 928 Old 02-14-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Technically there might be three versions of the Ultra. The old '5400' style had titanium cone and voicecoil former along with a sweet candy apple red basket. I believe the v2 Ultra debuted when TC went bust and changed to Audiopulse for a little while. The current version has the new basket and a stainless steel voicecoil former and aluminum cone. IIRC there was a later change that simply improved the Xmech by shortening the spacer for the spiders.
Quote:
The only difference from the newest to the 2010 is the shorter spider support iirc. Anyway, There's not much to see. Maybe 5-10mm shorter. You can see some of the voice coil at the triple joint on the newer ones.
Allow me to derail the thread one more time...

These are the best pictures I could find. Clearly they shortened the spacing between the spiders on the 2012+ models.

2011:

2012+:

Scott Simonian and dgage like this.
post #916 of 928 Old 02-14-2015, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Hey guys, should I change the title, just post, or start a new thread for the DIY JBL vs DR-250 comparison? I am waiting on the bottom kits for my 15's and I will get them up and running.
Mfusick likes this.
post #917 of 928 Old 02-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 109
new thread

Quote:
MKtheater -I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show
My speaker build PROJECT OVERKILL WWMTMSS
Photobucket link to build photos
Photobucket link to Project Overkill cut down
post #918 of 928 Old 02-14-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

New thread

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #919 of 928 Old 02-14-2015, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok will do. I love the sound quality of the MR-825's as long as they are under 110 dBs as a pair for music. Basically they sound great at 105 dBs but at 110 dBs they start exhibiting that nasal sound at times, probably right at the crossover where the 15 is playing too high. My new JBL's will be crossed from 500-700hz depending on measurements. I ripped down all the insulation from my back subs and front wall and will be covering them in soundboard with black fabric. The soundboard stops rattles and I will line the new speaker shelves with some type of floor padding(soft). I am also adding 3/4 MDF to my front wall to add weight and even out with a smoother surface to attach the sound board. I am keeping the woofers on the ends exposed but you won't see them with the lights out. I will start the new thread and take pics of the process.
post #920 of 928 Old 02-14-2015, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
The Eagles play the Chiefs in 2016 and it should be at Arrowhead. I will try to come and visit you then. I know that is a long way away, but I don't have any other reason to go up to KC besides to visit.
Sounds good - btw though, Archaea and Jedimastergrant were over today and we were discussing planning a KC HT tour over a Sat/Sun sometime this spring so maybe that can entice some people our way.
Pain Infliction likes this.
post #921 of 928 Old 02-14-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Hey guys, should I change the title, just post, or start a new thread for the DIY JBL vs DR-250 comparison? I am waiting on the bottom kits for my 15's and I will get them up and running.
Post the thread link here too please. Thanks for putting out the effort to do a public comparison and sharing the info with us.

EDIT: Since I don't want to derail your new thread I'll just do it here. Your methodology sucks. Why did you measure that and not this? Geez, what type of comparison is this...amateur hour. HAHA! Just kidding! I hate when that happens to threads on AVS so hopefully I'm getting it out of other people's systems too.
post #922 of 928 Old 02-14-2015, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I will measure both when it is time. I have posted before and after DR-250 responses before as well as the MR-825. The 825 extends to about 12-13khz and the DR-'s to about 16khz or so.
post #923 of 928 Old 02-15-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
MK, did you ever get those Berry 215XLs in?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #924 of 928 Old 02-15-2015, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I could but the owner of the company convinced me the JBL's are much better. He owns the music store and is the lead singer in his band. He said the Berry's are good but the JBL's are better and for the price a no brained so he talked me out of it. He said I am welcome to try either way. After listening to the JBL's for a few days and watching movies in 2 channel only they are impressive.
post #925 of 928 Old 02-16-2015, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So I have playing around with the JBL MR-825's until my last parts come in and placement is a huge difference with these. The DR's can not fit into the wall anymore and I have to bix them up to ship soon. I can tell you the JBL's are impressive. My baffle helped them a ton. I can toe them in properly as well where I could not my DR's. Here are my new scores:
Single DR-250 with no baffle JBL Pro MR-825 w/ baffle
Detail 1 1
Midbass 1 1
Dynamics 1 1
Big sound 1 1
Smoothness 2 1
Feel 1 2

The smoothness is that softer sound I was describing compared to the DR's harder sound but neither are harsh at reference. I like these JBL's better than the U215's overall but that is just my room. Both the U215's and DR's sound more live than the JBL's. I am building a JBL with a better woofer, horn, and CD which crosses over an octave lower so it could or have the potential to be my favorite. I am sure if I had a huge room with a baffle wall the 4675's I had would be right near the top. To me this shows how good the DR's really are because thy are $300 to build where the others are $800 for the MR-825, $3000 for the 4675, and $2000 for the speaker I am building. However getting everything used levels the playing field. I am not sure which I prefer overall the 825 or DR but that nasal sound is gone! I still bet a DR-280 with 3012HO and upgraded CD's would be king. I am not sure if the CD version would have enough horizontal dispersion in a home setting. I can say I got a bargain with all these speakers.
post #926 of 928 Old 02-24-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
@Mfusick
@MKtheater

I did a little compression sweep testing of the Behringer B2031A. These are great sounding speakers, but they don't have the output requirements I seek to be used for cinema speakers.

I put a little mini review here:

Archaea's multi-purpose Home Theater room

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #927 of 928 Old 02-24-2015, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@Mfusick
@MKtheater

I did a little compression sweep testing of the Behringer B2031A. These are great sounding speakers, but they don't have the output requirements I seek to be used for cinema speakers.

I posted! I agree with your conclusions.

NanoAvr to Outlaw 975
amps-5 Adcom GFA-555's mono's, Sanway FP14K
5 JBL 2447 CD, 5 2352 horns, 3 15 inch 2035 for fronts, 2 15 inch 2032 for surrounds
subs-IB SI 18ht x12
post #928 of 928 Old 02-24-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archaea View Post
@mfusick
@mktheater

i did a little compression sweep testing of the behringer b2031a. These are great sounding speakers, but they don't have the output requirements i seek to be used for cinema speakers.

saaaaa......

Weeeett!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs
Gear in this thread - DR-250 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page