AVS Forum banner

DR-250 stack and Yorkvilles U215's! Which one will I like better?

41K views 927 replies 64 participants last post by  Mfusick 
#1 ·
So I am comparing my current speakers to the Unity's as I picked them up for a fellow member. Once I am done I will ship them to him, you know, in about a year or so
I will start the fun once my Minidsp Nanoavr and mic arrive so I can dial these bad boys in.

See less See more
Reactions: Mfusick
#5 ·
I have my Sony es 2800, then my Ada. I could always slap the clone on any if need be. What is the sensitivity of them? Most likely around 99 dBs with dual woofs? My Sony could take them pretty loud and the clone could blow them up so I have it covered. The Ada is the so called high end amp with class A,AB. I don't listen above 105 dBs with speakers so any would work. I will also try one out as a center channel compared to mine.

#8 ·
Yeah, I won't need to use that much power as my listening levels are reference and lower.

#10 ·
Sorry, power is power and I will show the THD to go along with them. My puny Sony ran my speakers, JTR 888LP's, and SEOS to reference all with less than 2% THD. The DR's and JTR's had one frequency with more though. I do have amps in case

Reactions: its phillip
#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile  /t/1528878/dr-250-stack-and-yorkvilles-u215s-which-one-will-i-like-better/0_100#post_24644254

To each his own. But I dont believe in graphs when it comes to sound quality. These speaker's high end can sound harsh and their midbass very average when they are given low power.

Trust me, If I can tame the highs on 40 piezo horn tweeters I don't think the unity horn will be a problem. I don't just plug and play, I will dial them in and then start over again and again if need be.

Reactions: its phillip
#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1528878/dr-250-stack-and-yorkvilles-u215s-which-one-will-i-like-better/0_100#post_24644260

cool.

having acclimated to the speakers that you have now, it may take some time with the new ones before they sound right.

I don't know, after all this time I know what I like and if something sounds off I will find why. The SEOS seem to sound great out of the gate as well as the JTR's and others.

#15 ·
BTW, my room was built for taming highs! The first thing people say is wow that screen is big and then your room is dead.

#17 ·
If you guys have not figured it out yet these are Luke's speakers. As you guys know I always like to listen for myself to the popular speakers and subs that get hyped around here and now I can hear these which are at that level. It keeps me updated! My minidsp did not come in today so tonight will be useless. I can always just hook them up for now.

#21 ·
I got in late after tennis. I will drag them downstairs tomorrow. I still have my speaker wires from my SEOS comparison but I just have to replace the binding posts with speakons.

#22 ·
Minidsp make it today?

Seems like a really nifty option, but since I need different HP/LF filters for two different sets of subs, it wouldn't really work for me.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1528878/dr-250-stack-and-yorkvilles-u215s-which-one-will-i-like-better/0_100#post_24644057

If you HP them at about 50hz or up they should be able to handle over 1kw
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1528878/dr-250-stack-and-yorkvilles-u215s-which-one-will-i-like-better/0_100#post_24644057

If you HP them at about 50hz or up they should be able to handle over 1kw

I have put 1800ish program to mine without an issue. I have crossed them from 40-120 depending one what subs were being used.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83  /t/1528878/dr-250-stack-and-yorkvilles-u215s-which-one-will-i-like-better#post_24648919

I have put 1800ish program to mine without an issue. I have crossed them from 40-120 depending one what subs were being used.

I have a CC2800 on the way just for them. I'm sure ~900w/ch will be plenty!

I see the -3db is 45hz, but do you know what the tuning of the cabinet is?

#26 ·
1800 watts would be 130 dBs! Unless I care about max power compression sweeps 105 dBs peaks is all I need.

I am hooking them up tonight to just get a feel but only sony EQ and built in computer mic. My calibrated behringer mic's sound card is not compatible with windows 8. So just initial feel and ready for serious listening. I will check the front door again in case it shows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.