Something to beat La Scalas? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Currently, I have 3 Klipsch La Scalas for my front 3 in my HT. They do sound great and have a solid presence. I'm kinda curious to see if I can get more punch out of them. The Book of Eli scene (from the Blu Ray Demo download that I got from this forum) sounds good and the gun shots have a good punch, but I am wondering if there is more. I have a single sealed Dayton 18 HO and a full sized Marty for the bass, so (for now) I feel covered in the bass category.

I'm currently using an HK 3600 to power my 5.1, but do have a Sherbourn 7X150 sitting in the box behind me. Maybe the punch I am looking for could be delivered by an outboard amp. Just throwing that out there to muddy the waters. However, I am not sure I have enough electrical outlets to add the Sherbourn to the equation.

The reason why I'm wondering is that I heard a pair of JBL JRX225s at a local, small concert at a brewery (Quest Brewing) here in Gvegas (Greenville, SC). Those speakers had great mid bass and punch...even being 20ish feet away and outdoors...as opposed to being 7 feet away and indoors for my current setup. Those particular JBLs run for about $420 a piece. Would those JBLs beat the La Scalas for HT duty? Any experience with those or similar PA speakers in a HT environment would be helpful.

Part of the reason I am posting in the DIY section is that I've considered building Tempests or the redesigned Sentinels (whenever they are released) for my front 3. Ideally, I'm looking to keep it to $500 a piece for the front 3. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks,
Scott

Klipsch La Scalas with original AA crossovers - L/R
Klipsch La Scala split with AL-3 crossover - Center
Sony SSF - 5000 - surrounds
Dayton DIY sealed 18" sub and full sized Marty powered by EP 4000 bridged
Sony 55" 240 LED TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 912
might want to look into cancellation reflections. that can destroy midbass.

http://peavey.com/support/technotes/soundsystems/new%20boundary%20cancellation.pdf
koturban likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-26-2014, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 54
HS, the trouble with your question is that it's vague and subjective. Even though I've owned a couple of pair of LS (and KH and Heresy) words like punch will have a certain reference to you, but they might not mean the same to me.*

Lets put it this way; after having several heritage speakers, I don't any more. What was essentially the smallest component of my DIY PA system, and what has become my template for a 3 way home speaker bettered them, and easily. But it was active JBL/Beyma and I'm not aware of something similar out there commercially or easily DIY. I get what people like about the Klipsch H range, but they have too many faults for my taste. The LS also has a poor LF roll off; mostly gone by 100Hz and weak by 125Hz due to the too short horn.

Best suggestion: if looking at a commercial product like the JBLs, go into a store, express your interest, and see if you can buy and return or hire for a modest fee (usually possible mid week) and see if it can be deducted if you decide to keep them. If it's DIY, look around and see who has them, and ask if you can come around to hear. The offer of BBQ fixings and some drinks usually goes a long way toward that. Try to take a pair of the LS to compare, make a day of it and have some fun.

When considering cost, did you factor in potential sales value for the LS? If not add that in as it might allow something even better.

* Years ago, after a long online correspondence with a guy full of lots of vague description I went to hear a pair of small speakers with huge midbass and slam. Turns out the guy was from HK, lived in a small apartment, listened close and quite softly and listened to music that most would describe here as having no bass, eg some operas in Chinese for example. When I played selections of dinosaur rock through them, they were awful (to my taste) and thin and gutless sounding even at low level. Lovely guy and worthwhile experience, because they couple of hours listening and talking to him made clear the differences in language in description that hours online had not. I'm sure if you and I met, the difference would not be so great, but it may also be a set up issue that some time with REW/EQ may help you diagnose/correct and the experience of actually listening to other potential purchases is invaluable.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-26-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Ok, for starters, the La Scala is a great speaker, but like A9X-308 stated, they don't really have much extension below 100hz, which can make them seem weak and anemic if you don't have good subs or if your subs aren't setup, optimally. I would start by selling them. You can probably get close to, or above $1,000 for them, depending on their condition, then build yourself a trio of Seos speakers. The Seos designs have all of the good qualities of the La Scala and other Klipsch Heritage speakers, but, they also lack the pitfalls of those speakers. It's like they do everything the La Scala can do, and more!

As far as which Seos speaker to go with, that depends on whether or not you are comfortable building your own enclosures and assembling your own crossover. I like the Tempest with the upgraded AE TD12 woofer, or the Tux-1099, both of which will best your La Scala in every category. If you can wait, the new soon to be released redesign of the Sentinel-15 will be the ultimate in that price range! I would wait for it, but that's just me.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-26-2014, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I would recommend looking at the Klipsch forums and determining if an upgrade of the LaScalas may fit the bill. The Eminence Kappa 15C is suggested a cheap and effective upgrade. They are $110 each from Parts Express.
I would also that you also look at the ported LaScala threads for a simple, effective cabinet mod.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-26-2014, 12:30 PM

Liked: 19
My La Scalas gained a lot of authority and sound better at all volumes with an Emotiva UPA-7 driving them than they did with the HK AVR-235 -- not that they sounded bad before.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-26-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The Tux1099 looks good to me on paper (not ever heard them) so MC007's suggestion to get thee to hear some sounds good to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM2 View Post

I would recommend looking at the Klipsch forums and determining if an upgrade of the LaScalas may fit the bill.
I would suggest some caution with this. I hung around the Klipsch forums for many years when I had mine and they are very bad with fanboi-ism, both towards Klipsch stuff and the small number of other people who do 'approved' mods.
Quote:

The Eminence Kappa 15C is suggested a cheap and effective upgrade. They are $110 each from Parts Express.
The K33 is the least of the problems with the LS and the Kappa won't make that much difference. oney definitely should be spent on the rubbish MF/HF sections, both drivers and flares.
Quote:

I would also that you also look at the ported LaScala threads for a simple, effective cabinet mod.
I've done it and though it makes a small difference in some rooms, it's not that great. You'll also devalue your LS if you do it, so better to start from scratch and make new LS if there is some potential you may sell the original LS sometime in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosifee View Post

My La Scalas gained a lot of authority and sound better at all volumes with an Emotiva UPA-7 driving them than they did with the HK AVR-235 -- not that they sounded bad before.
An amp change would be the last place I would spend money as it is by far the least efficacious. They are a very easy speaker to drive in terms of load and efficiency.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-27-2014, 12:18 AM

He already has the amp. It's a matter of plugging it in.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-27-2014, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He already has the amp. It's a matter of plugging it in.
Not the point. It's not going to make any difference.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-27-2014, 12:52 AM

Funny, when you said it was the last place you would spend money, I thought the idea that money would not be spent was somehow salient. Carry on.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-27-2014, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

http://peavey.com/support/technotes/soundsystems/new%20boundary%20cancellation.pdf

I second this comment... Highly likely your issue and is an issue i have personally now. Adjust speaker and listening position some as a first option.

Blazar!
post #12 of 15 Old 04-27-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 146
You could always go with the CornScala since you already have the K-33 woofer. Then all you would need is the JBL clone M2380 horn with a Selenium or FaitalPro 2" mid, and then the Selenium D220ti compression driver with its stock horn and a Crites crossover.

I personally would be more inclined do sell the La Scala's and build some Seos based speakers, such as the Tempest or the new redesigned Sentinel. They should best your La Scala's by quite a decent margin.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-27-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I second this comment... Highly likely your issue and is an issue i have personally now. Adjust speaker and listening position some as a first option.

I'll start with this just to see if I can get anything more out of them. May take me more than a few reads to comprehend, lol. Course that depends on how many beers I have too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

You could always go with the CornScala since you already have the K-33 woofer. Then all you would need is the JBL clone M2380 horn with a Selenium or FaitalPro 2" mid, and then the Selenium D220ti compression driver with its stock horn and a Crites crossover.

I personally would be more inclined do sell the La Scala's and build some Seos based speakers, such as the Tempest or the new redesigned Sentinel. They should best your La Scala's by quite a decent margin.

I'm not in a rush to do anything, so I think that waiting for the redesign of the Sentinel sounds like the best option. I have no problem building enclosures. Crossovers? Never done them (or soldered for that manner) before. Either I'll venture into it or get pre-assembled ones.

Thanks for the ideas - love this forum.

Klipsch La Scalas with original AA crossovers - L/R
Klipsch La Scala split with AL-3 crossover - Center
Sony SSF - 5000 - surrounds
Dayton DIY sealed 18" sub and full sized Marty powered by EP 4000 bridged
Sony 55" 240 LED TV
post #14 of 15 Old 04-27-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

Definitely go by this first so you can make sure it's your speakers and not room cancellations.

I can tell you that I have owned a pair of LA's and I first replaced them with Cornscalas and then a pair of SEOS Tempests with TD12M woofers. The SEOS were easily my favorite.

The

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #15 of 15 Old 04-27-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny, when you said it was the last place you would spend money, I thought the idea that money would not be spent was somehow salient. Carry on.
And changing from one capable SS amplifier to another on an efficient and easy to drive speaker will not make any difference, irrespective of whether it costs anything or not. That is the salient point. What is so difficult to understand about that? I misread the initial post, hence my response.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page