• 1 Post By wlhungdude
  • 1 Post By ambesolman

post #1 of 13 Old 04-25-2014, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Hello DIYers. I'd like to get your opinion on what orientation I should use for a pair of sub enclosures under/behind my left and right couches. I have a reclining couch with some space under the center seat so I'd like to build part of the enclosure under the center seat with the remaining airspace behind the couch all the way across the back.

Here is my room with the current locations of my 3 LMS 5400 subs. The pair of IST UXL-18s would go under/behind the center of the left and right couches. I have checked and the UXL-18 can be oriented in a horizontal, down-firing position. In case it comes up, I already have the enclosures for the 3 LMS 5400s built and the second UXL-18 should be here next week.

Here is a couch similar to mine although the center is the same size as the end seats.

The picture of the down-firing sub option is on the left and the right option is of a rear-facing sub orientation. The first picture shows a side view and the second picture a top view. The green is the wall, the brown is the enclosure, and the blue is the couch.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 151
How tall is the area under the center seat? If you have more room behind the couch then I would recommend designing it so that the woofer mounts in the area that has more space, ie: behind the couch, then you can always run the port under the center seat so that you get a nice tactical sensation in the couch area!

I am not sure that you would have the area under the center seat to properly accommodate an 18" driver. Wait....did you say that these will be sealed, or ported enclosures? If it were me, I would definitely go ported, but, if your LMS-Ultra's are sealed, that might not be the best option. So with that being said, build some new ported enclosures for your LMS-Ultras! smile.gif
post #3 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Under seat height is around 12" so I can fit a UXL-18 underneath angled to the front.

What Marty name would these get if they were ported couch enclosures? smile.gif I don't think I have the space for them to be ported at any spot and wouldn't want to rebuild any of the enclosures. Besides, I like the sealed sound but must say I've never heard the LMS ported.

I will say I've seen many on the JTR thread say it is harder to integrate the ported Orbit Shifters with their Noesis 212s than sealed subs so that is another reason I'm partial to sealed designs.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

What Marty name would these get if they were ported couch enclosures? quote]

umm... Mar-T-Boy? rolleyes.gif
dgage likes this.

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #5 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

What Marty name would these get if they were ported couch enclosures?

umm... Mar-T-Boy? rolleyes.gif

Haha. Good one!
post #6 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Left
post #7 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ambesolman! A man of few words...I was going to make a joke about tooth pain but realized its Anbesol with an n. So where does the Ambesol in your name come from?
post #8 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

Thanks Ambesolman! A man of few words...I was going to make a joke about tooth pain but realized its Anbesol with an n. So where does the Ambesol in your name come from?

Ambesolman is a nickname I've had for the last 15yrs with one group of friends. Came from a story I told my buddy who swears it was the first thing I ever said to him, but he's full if it. Let us get another couple GTGs under our belt and I might relay the story😏
popalock likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Haha. I'll look forward to that story some day. smile.gif
post #10 of 13 Old 04-27-2014, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Haha. I'll look forward to that story some day. smile.gif

I've got nothing except a big HS 24 front and center just like the Marty McFly woofer from Back To The Future. tongue.gif

But seriously, your layout looks very good to me. You can't move the rear sub without impeding the opening to the other room and your front subs are positioned well for all listeners. If you didn't care about the person sitting on the end of the couch sitting closest to the front of the pair of LMS-U's I would put the right side subwoofer closer to the wall for any/all wall coupling effect you can get. Every tenth of a dB helps. cool.gif
post #11 of 13 Old 04-27-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post

I've got nothing except a big HS 24 front and center just like the Marty McFly woofer from Back To The Future. tongue.gif

But seriously, your layout looks very good to me. You can't move the rear sub without impeding the opening to the other room and your front subs are positioned well for all listeners. If you didn't care about the person sitting on the end of the couch sitting closest to the front of the pair of LMS-U's I would put the right side subwoofer closer to the wall for any/all wall coupling effect you can get. Every tenth of a dB helps. cool.gif

Thanks Nick. So you like the right version towards the wall for some added coupling/loading. How close would you say I can get the subwoofers to the wall?
post #12 of 13 Old 04-27-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Thanks Nick. So you like the right version towards the wall for some added coupling/loading. How close would you say I can get the subwoofers to the wall?

As close as possible. Literally - the closer you get to the wall the more output you are going to gain from that driver being close to that wall.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-27-2014, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post

As close as possible. Literally - the closer you get to the wall the more output you are going to gain from that driver being close to that wall.

Damn. Good to know. Thanks Nick.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page