DIY in large basement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-27-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've been browsing the DIY section for quite some time and found numerous options. Would like some suggestions. Basement is unfinished 50x26x9 open space. I'm not trying to fill the entire room, will be sitting at most 10 feet away. I've narrowed it down to the Tempest 12, Fusion 8, 8 Alchemy MTM, and Alpha Minion 8. Would really like this build to last for quite some time. I've also looked at ID bookshelves and towers, but figure I would get most bang for buck DIY. As this will be my first time, how hard would it be if I get everything from DIYsoundgroup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-27-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Sounds like you're heading down the right path, I would also suggest looking into getting the 1099's for your LCR's. This July I will be hosting a GTG where we'll actually get a chance to directly compare the Tempest and 1099's against each other. It should be really interesting.

Also with a room that size I would suggest taking a look at the new upcoming 18" ported box Erich has coming out. And I might suggest looking into the Volts for surrounds. Erich also has some new high end 8" coax surrounds coming out.

You could absolutely build an entire system from what the Erich offers on his site that would sound awesome. smile.gif
post #3 of 11 Old 04-27-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee82 View Post

how hard would it be if I get everything from DIYsoundgroup?

Not very... You can get flatpacks for most of the designs and built crossovers so all the hard work is done for you. Glue and wire is all you need to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-27-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Sounds like you're heading down the right path, I would also suggest looking into getting the 1099's for your LCR's. This July I will be hosting a GTG where we'll actually get a chance to directly compare the Tempest and 1099's against each other. It should be really interesting.

Also with a room that size I would suggest taking a look at the new upcoming 18" ported box Erich has coming out. And I might suggest looking into the Volts for surrounds. Erich also has some new high end 8" coax surrounds coming out.

You could absolutely build an entire system from what the Erich offers on his site that would sound awesome. smile.gif

Is there anyone on here that has already heard all of the diysg offerings? Why go for the volts over alchemy's for surrounds ? I'm in the same boat as the op in that I'm looking to replace all my speakers with some DIY ones. How do the waveguide speakers hold up against for example: jtr's noesis line ? They look to be very similar in design... Or are the looks just deceiving ?
post #5 of 11 Old 04-27-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I did see the 1099 last night and was going to order, but my woodworking skills is non-existent so held back. I could probably get someone to do it for a cost, but there wasn't a cut sheet for the 1099. Little worry about doing the crossover as well.

Where are you holding the GTG?

I have an SVS P12-NSD that I ordered not too long ago, which suits me at this time.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-27-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattykidd View Post

Quote:

Is there anyone on here that has already heard all of the diysg offerings? Why go for the volts over alchemy's for surrounds ? I'm in the same boat as the op in that I'm looking to replace all my speakers with some DIY ones. How do the waveguide speakers hold up against for example: jtr's noesis line ? They look to be very similar in design... Or are the looks just deceiving ?
Volts for surrounds because they are not as direct sounding being coaxial which is good for surrounds. The seos are pretty close to the jtr for a fraction of the price.
I have heard that alpha minions, fusion mtm, and at the GTG will hear tempest and 1099.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-27-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:

I did see the 1099 last night and was going to order, but my woodworking skills is non-existent so held back. I could probably get someone to do it for a cost, but there wasn't a cut sheet for the 1099. Little worry about doing the crossover as well.

Where are you holding the GTG?

I have an SVS P12-NSD that I ordered not too long ago, which suits me at this time.

I would imagine at some point Erich will offer pre-assembled crossovers for the 1099's and flat pack boxes to build them. Right now the biggest problem that seems to be having is getting enough parts to be able to actually sell them.

Oh and I'm located just outside of Vancouver Canada, so take one guess where the GTG is?....lol
post #8 of 11 Old 04-27-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

How does the alpha minions sound compare to the fusion mtm? I currently have the P363 with one being in the repair shop for almost 2 months and it's driving me nuts there is no replacement parts from Infiniti
post #9 of 11 Old 04-27-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:

How does the alpha minions sound compare to the fusion mtm? I currently have the P363 with one being in the repair shop for almost 2 months and it's driving me nuts there is no replacement parts from Infiniti

Both are great but I like the fusion mtm a bit more. Jeff bagby nailed the crossover and the extra 8" driver gives you better midbass.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-28-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 154
When will the ported flat pack for the Dayton HO18 & SI 18HT be available?
post #11 of 11 Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Both are great but I like the fusion mtm a bit more. Jeff bagby nailed the crossover and the extra 8" driver gives you better midbass.

How would the mtm do for front stage? Wondering if it's worth the cost for tempest 12
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page