post #151 of 158 Old 06-26-2014, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochinada View Post
Can anyone please help?
I don't know of any way of measuring how many watts you're pushing through your sub, or really any way of determining exactly what it's doing. I did manage to bottom mine out once. It was easily audible. No permanent damage seems to have been done to the speaker. So now I know my volume limit.

I was wondering this too before I completed my sub, and I never found a good answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 158 Old 06-26-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks. So I guess perhaps there is no way.
My drivers should arrive tomorrow at last! The bad news is that my Hosa adapters are held in customs for 5 weeks now and those bastards don't do a damn thing!

Last edited by cochinada; 06-27-2014 at 05:55 AM.
post #153 of 158 Old 06-27-2014, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Starting covering the inside wall of the cylinders:

This was a lot tougher than I expected as the access is very narrow, so I had to come from both sides but the middle was hard...

Doing the top lids as well:

After battling with a nasty bad smelling spray glue, the first one is finally finished:

Filling it was also not that easy and I had to resort to a tube from my vacuum cleaner in order to adjust the first layers. In these occasions it would be handy if one had arms like a monkey. But hey!, what matters is that I finished the job and I was happy with the result. Unfortunately and as I was already anticipating, a bag of Sonofil isn't enough for 20l as they advertise so I ordered more but even multiplying by 1.5 didn't do it! So you'd be better off estimating the double, that is to say, one bag for 10l. In my case this is not so bad as I ended up with about 41cm of empty space and since the driver itself will take about 26cm that leaves roughly 15cm of truly empty space which I reckon is acceptable and even desirable for letting the drive to 'breathe'. Here is the first one ready:

Both cabinets put aside and waiting for the drivers to arrive:

In the end and from my calculations, the total weight of each will be 104Kg or 230lbs. So, the worst part is yet to come as I will have to lift and mount the driver and connect the wires all by myself and even more difficult to flip the boxes without damaging the pillars.

Last edited by cochinada; 06-27-2014 at 12:52 AM.
post #154 of 158 Old 06-28-2014, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Those drivers are huge and really heavy:

One thing I didn't like about them. The plate is made of plastic instead of metal:

One mounted. This turned out easier that I thought:

Now to get to this stage was not that difficult but I got injured in the process as the base circle felt right on my bare foot and the pain was excruciating, to the point that I'm not sure it's not broken but time will tell. Anyway I got a little upset as my foot started to swell and my enthusiasm waned so I didn't risk flipping it all by myself inasmuch limping does not particularly gives you an edge. I'm now trying to persuade my girlfriend to give me a hand:

As you can see, my carpenter forgot to cover the bottom of the base as well which kind of upset me a little but I reckon it will not be noticeable as soon as the subwoofer is on its final stance.

Last edited by cochinada; 06-28-2014 at 03:14 AM.
post #155 of 158 Old 06-29-2014, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
You may have already mentioned this, and if you did, I apologize in advanced, but, can you tell me...did you use a router with a circle cutting jig for these cylinders? Did you use plywood or MDF? If you used MDF, I would NOT want to see how much dust that would have created! LoL!
post #156 of 158 Old 06-29-2014, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
You may have already mentioned this, and if you did, I apologize in advanced, but, can you tell me...did you use a router with a circle cutting jig for these cylinders? Did you use plywood or MDF? If you used MDF, I would NOT want to see how much dust that would have created! LoL!

No problems mate. I made the plans to the very smallest detail using Google Sketchup but ordered the cabinets to a professional. They are entirely made of MDF and all pieces were cut by CNC so I don't think a router with a circle cutting jig was used at any stage. But I do believe a lot of dust was produced as I had to vacuum clean the cabinets in my house and still the smell remains after a week.
By the way, the cylinder is made of layers, each with three sections (a 3rd of a circle) in order to not waste too much MDF.
post #157 of 158 Old 06-29-2014, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Finished! Well almost, because I forgot to put the super spikes on one of the subwoofers and when I noticed it almost gave me a heart attack but hopefully and after calming down I believe it will not be that hard.

Anyway they work just fine but it's too soon to make a final statement. I only listened to those scenes from War of the Worlds when the tripods come out of the ground but it was enough to notice that my sofa shook as if it was electrified or something. But before that I adjusted it up to 75dB, very afraid at first with the volume control on the Behringer that ended up at about 3/4 of the maximum (!), this together with an attenuation of 3.5dB on the processor. Unfortunately I still have some issues that need to be fixed before I run the ARC algorithm and take some measurements.

Last edited by cochinada; 06-30-2014 at 12:05 AM.
post #158 of 158 Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Any updates on these? I'd love to see some measurements and hear your impressions of them.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page