The Dtsdig Curvy-Cab Tux-1099 build!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 153 Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Hello everybody! Welcome to the home of my Elusive (Tux) 1099 build. This will be slow going as I've got a number of other house projects to finish before I can really jump into the cabinet build for these. For now, I have a pair of kits that I'll be using for mains in my living room style home theater. In a month or so, I will be ordering a 3rd kit with the center channel configuration to complete my LCR. For a more immediate "I MUST BUILD SOMETHING NOW!!!" fix, I have a pair of Volt 10's with the slanted flat packs on the way for surround duty. Those I will be able to build quickly since they are designed with care to maximize AIY success!
For just a quick background on how I got to this point, over the course of 2011-2012, I bought a complete Polk Audio monitor series setup in addition to a (new at the time) Onkyo TX-NR808 receiver; all through Newegg, all on sale. This setup was replacing the 15 year old super cheapo Yamaha bookshelf speakers, cheapo JBL center channel and no surrounds situation that I had found myself in. With the Polks, I ended up with Monitor 70's for fronts, a CS2 center channel, Monitor 30's for surrounds and a PSW505 12" sub all in cherry except for the sub. And I was very happy with this setup for about 2 years. They looked nice, sounded ok and were a huge step-up from where I had been. I eventually got to thinking about adding a second PSW505 and then I started hanging out in the DIY forums here at AVS and over at HTS eek.gif. As the story goes, it was all over from there. As word of the Stereo Integrity HT18" grew, and I kept up with all the development updates, I was finally ready to take the plunge and put my name on 2 of them during the first pre-order in the November/December time frame of 2012. You can see the results of that here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/sealed-subwoofer-build-projects/67838-stereo-integrity-18-d2-curved-build.html
Just for the record, I have two more of them waiting in their shipping boxes for me to build into rear subs.....but that's a different thread for a different time. smile.gif

I've followed the development of the Tux-1099 from the beginning and knew that this was the SEOS design that I had been waiting for. Watching Fatshaft's build progress and then reading all about the final impressions, I couldn't wait for my turn! Finally, after selling my entire Polk system (5 speakers plus the sub) in March, I was able to order up my first pair.

My plan is to make a pair of Tux towers with an overall height of ~54" which will put the waveguides at ear level for me in my room. For now, the only progress toward the cabinet builds are a couple of sketches on paper.
What I have made some headway on though are the crossovers. I haven't built any crossovers since high school, so please be kind!

The layouts, which I think look great:

The ugly:
The bottom sides are no showroom beauty queens, but they are solid, functional and correct. I will be hot gluing all the jumpers down tonight which will also help the appearance a bit.

I am grateful for Tux, Erich and the many, many others that make this community possible!
Stay tuned! biggrin.gif
skipford likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 153 Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I finally had some time to make progress this past week while I was on vacation! First off, I received the center channel hit on Saturday, the 28th and was able to get working on the crossover right away. I forgot to grab photos of that but I'll take some tonight. I do still have one more crossover to finish wiring but it's for one of the fronts that I haven't started building yet anyway.
My priority is getting the center channel completed because that is by far the worst part of my temporary setup. Once the 1099 center channel is done, my temporary setup will consist of Volt-10's (in slanted surround boxes) as front L + R, and 2 SI 18"s sealed plus the 1099 center (obviously). I think that should hold me over until I can get a start on the 1099 fronts. Anyway......moving onward!

Find a radius for the curved top of the center channel:

I like the shape of that one but after making some cuts, I decided I wanted the template made out of MDF instead of that plywood. I used the cutoff section of plywood and ran the base of my router up against that while the bit was on top of a piece of MDF. I then cut that board to its final measurements and made three copies of it using the router table and a flush trim bit.

Last edited by dtsdig; 07-17-2014 at 08:57 AM.
post #3 of 153 Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've come a long way with tools and setup since my sub builds last year. It's amazing how much faster this is going comparatively! Two words....Track Saw! Two more words....Router Table! Those two tools have simplified this process infinitely compared to the setup I had a year ago. Also helping the situation is the saw horse table that I built to cut full sheets on. Additionally, I have dust collection attachments on the track saw and the router/router table that made it possible to work without a mask this time around, not to mention how much cleaner the garage is staying. Awesome!
Here's my table setup which uses sacrificial 2x4's to cut on.

And now for some fun!

Last edited by dtsdig; 07-17-2014 at 09:07 AM.
post #4 of 153 Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Next up is the hard part; setting up the curved top. Stupid Lowes didn't have the dark brown tempered hardboard that I used for my curved subs so I ended up buying some sanded ply 1/4" underlayment plywood. It seemed quite flexible while it was still in 4' x 8' sheets but once it's cut down to 19" x 36" pieces, it's pretty stiff. I had forgotten how much of a pain it is to get the first layer glued up. Hopefully, the PL Premium will hold. I decided that rather than continuing to fight with the underlayment plywood for two more layers, I'm going to stop at home depot and pick up a couple of 2' x 4' hardboard panels to finish with.
Knowing that I would need a nice, tight seam where the front edges of the curved layers meet the back top edge of the baffle, I decided to only glue up the box's sides, back and divider panels so that I could bend the wood over the whole top and then trim it later to mate up to the baffle.
I installed some temporary braces where the baffle will eventually be just to keep everything square and solid.

And away we go! What a freakin pain!

To finish up yesterday, I added some small plywood blocks to the back of the baffle only for the woofer screws to bite into. The baffle is thick enough for the waveguide and the mids to grab into just fine but I wanted some extra reinforcement for those heavy woofers.
Tonight, I'll pull the clamps off and see how it all holds up. The top will be 3 layers thick resulting in about a 3/4" total thickness. :)

Last edited by dtsdig; 07-17-2014 at 09:08 AM.
post #5 of 153 Old 04-29-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Nice!! Your farther along than me sir. smile.gif looking forward to see what you come up with.
post #6 of 153 Old 04-29-2014, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I can't wait to see your design.
post #7 of 153 Old 04-29-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Sub'd

Looking forward to your hearing impressions wink.gif

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #8 of 153 Old 04-29-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Sub'd

The "ugly" looks a hell of a lot cleaner then mine haha. Looking forward to the build!

I should be finishing up my cabs and painting this weekend. Hopefully some listening Monday or Tuesday!
post #9 of 153 Old 04-29-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #10 of 153 Old 05-18-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Updates??
post #11 of 153 Old 05-18-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No sir. The Volt 10's I built are running as mains for a bit until I finish up some other house projects. I'm hoping to get started cutting wood for the 1099's in two weeks or so. frown.gif
post #12 of 153 Old 05-23-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I'm glad i'm not the only one who's running behind. At least your further ahead of me with your crossovers already built! I too am dragging my feet. I would have had my Alchemy8's done on Wednesday, but after painting them outside and leaving them outside, some bugs decided that wet paint was a beautiful place to die. Ergo, some more sanding and painting.

good luck!

post #13 of 153 Old 05-23-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks man! Yeah, I'm not dragging my feet willingly, just other stuff in the way. I'm super anxious about getting started. I hate waiting!
post #14 of 153 Old 06-20-2014, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got in my order for a center channel kit tonight! I've been refreshing that page like a madman all week!
Sadly, that is the only update I have for this thread. Now back to work on the other zillion house projects that are in the way of me starting any speaker builds.
Boxozaxu likes this.
post #15 of 153 Old 06-23-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 119
post #16 of 153 Old 06-23-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
what link?
They're gone again. I think they were up for about 20 hours or so this time around. When I started watching a show on Friday night around 10:00pm (eastern) they were not there and then at about 10:45 when I checked again, they made their appearance. I think they stuck around for most of Saturday and then disappeared again! It's not easy trying to catch Bigfoot! I literally hit refresh about once every waking hour the entire week last week.
post #17 of 153 Old 06-23-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
They're gone again. I think they were up for about 20 hours or so this time around. When I started watching a show on Friday night around 10:00pm (eastern) they were not there and then at about 10:45 when I checked again, they made their appearance. I think they stuck around for most of Saturday and then disappeared again! It's not easy trying to catch Bigfoot! I literally hit refresh about once every waking hour the entire week last week.
I just need the link to hit LOL when they are out Eric takes it down so I do not know where to find them if they do pop up.
post #18 of 153 Old 06-23-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
I just need the link to hit LOL when they are out Eric takes it down so I do not know where to find them if they do pop up.
Sorry, I misunderstood.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speakers.html
post #19 of 153 Old 06-23-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

ok so it is in the home speakers portion I had this http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...sion-1099.html from a while back I did not know it moved.

Thanks
post #20 of 153 Old 07-07-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Updates are added to the first few posts!
post #21 of 153 Old 07-07-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Looks great so far!
post #22 of 153 Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Awesome, I'd love to build a curved speaker at some point, I've only seen people kerf MDF, I didn't realize you could just clamp down plywood like that for the curve. That speaker is going to look amazing. What are you doing for a finish? Are you rounding over the front baffle or leaving it with square edges? How did you cut the curve on the bracing and edges?
post #23 of 153 Old 07-07-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
Awesome, I'd love to build a curved speaker at some point, I've only seen people kerf MDF, I didn't realize you could just clamp down plywood like that for the curve. That speaker is going to look amazing. What are you doing for a finish? Are you rounding over the front baffle or leaving it with square edges? How did you cut the curve on the bracing and edges?
Thanks! Final finish is undecided and with the limited budget over the summer time due to my wife being a teacher and not getting a paycheck from July to September, any type of finish is going to be delayed. Just like my intentions for my [still] raw MDF subs, I think the final finish will be cherry veneer with red mahogany stain, similar to aaronlinkous Alchemy builds.....those turned out absolutely stunning!

To cut the curves, the first pic shows how to set up a long swing arm with the router attached to it so you can create whatever kind of radius you want. I knew what I needed the front height and the rear height at the back of the box to be so I just experimented with the swing arm a bit to match up to the start and end points (heights).
These boxes will not have any round overs because they will eventually be veneered and I'll need sharp corners for that.
post #24 of 153 Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Two out of three crossovers are done.

Last edited by dtsdig; 07-17-2014 at 09:10 AM.
post #25 of 153 Old 07-07-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you test them to be sure all is working well?

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #26 of 153 Old 07-07-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Looking great DTS!
dtsdig likes this.
post #27 of 153 Old 07-07-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
Did you test them to be sure all is working well?
I've only tested one of them so far, just with the drivers laid out on the floor. It works, for sure, but obviously hard to get a grasp for how they will actually sound once built. I am on my way though! I can't wait to experience what you've been hearing for several months now!
post #28 of 153 Old 07-07-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
I've only tested one of them so far, just with the drivers laid out on the floor. It works, for sure, but obviously hard to get a grasp for how they will actually sound once built. I am on my way though! I can't wait to experience what you've been hearing for several months now!
I sincerely wish you enjoy them to death.
BTW, you build beautiful cabs!

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #29 of 153 Old 07-08-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is a quick pick of the little blocks I mounted to the back of the baffle to provide a bit more meat for the woofer screws to bite into.

Last edited by dtsdig; 07-17-2014 at 09:10 AM.
post #30 of 153 Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

When I got home yesterday, I went ahead and pulled the clamps and ratchet straps off of the first curved layer to assess how it went. Word of the wise for anyone interested in doing a curved build: Don't buy the "Sureply" floor underlayment plywood or anything similar to it. I would have been much better off with the tempered hardboard that I used on my subs. This stuff is junk. It was under so much pressure just to get it to bend, I was really not comfortable with letting it stay on there and risking it popping apart later on.
Now comes that time in the build where I have to recognize the mistake(s), and move forward. The first issue that I realized about half way through dinner last night is that because I didn't put any kind of support across the top front edge of the box internals, I had nothing for the curved layers to bond to between the braces and side pieces. I ended up with this wavy effect:

Secondly, I realized that once I go and join the back, sides, braces, curved top portion to the bottom and baffle assembly, the spans between that I mentioned above would have no way to bond with the baffle. Duh. Time to undo what I have done and get this back on the right path:

Tonight I am going to purchase actual Italian Bending ply from a local shop which is what I should have done in the first place. As far as I know, this will allow me to make the curved layers without each of them having to be under extreme pressure and just waiting to pop themselves apart.
First I have to clean up all this PL Premium and add the braces I mentioned above. More to come!

Last edited by dtsdig; 07-17-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page