Flat Pack Build, 18" dual opposing Dayton RSS460HO. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-30-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had bought a dual opposing flat pack from Erich's site, and had been (slowly) working on it. biggrin.gif

Recently I got my six-prong 1/4" t-nuts installed on both ends, and am working on getting it prepped for primer. Only thing I haven't done so far is figure out what paint I want to use. I'm thinking at least flat black, spray paint.

I recently got in 1" Sonic Barrier padding to put inside the cabinet, haven't yet done so. Though I'm not sure if I want to use my bi-amp binding post terminals or my Speakon connectors. Not quite a decision I had made up my mind for yet. The latter option seems to be a bit of a pain in the butt to do, considering I'm working with 8 gauge wire here. biggrin.gif

If anything, I DID at least get the amp side of the main speaker wire done with one. These speakon connectors I got support 10 gauge wire, which is what I stripped the 8 gauge down to. The pain in the butt part, is this was the first time I soldered any speakon connectors, so it was a learning experience for me. lol

I'm just not sure if I really want to have the connector on the back baffle or back side of the cabinet. At least the binding post I can let it be on the bottom center of the cabinet, hidden. (I wouldn't use banana plugs on it, I'd just hook straight wire.) However I like the idea of speakon connectors actually 'locking'. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? smile.gif

Also, here are some pictures of some of the progress, I didn't capture every moment. Our cat liked it though!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-04-2014, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

As an update, I went ahead and decided to use Duratex on this cabinet. I had placed an order for it and the textured rollers on Friday. biggrin.gif

Plus, I'm thinking of building another dual opposing cabinet. Doing some reading, and I read that using the same exact subwoofer, such as stacking them, ought to yield a 6dB increase. Doubling of subwoofer and power available. Which should be a big upgrade to having a single Dayton RS460HO in a 4cubic foot sealed enclosure.

Also with those plans, I'm considering getting a Peavey IPR2 5000 amplifier to use for them instead of my Crest CC4000. Which would give 2,525 watts per cabinet rather than 2,000, going by specs and wiring configuration options. Then more importantly, the Peavey's power consumption would be little less than half of the Crest. Which is very important since I can only operate off my single 20amp circuit. If I'm doing my math right, at 1/8th power draw on the Peavey for 2ohm loads per channel, is about 7 amps (890 watts), while calculating the amp draw from my Crest, would be about 15 amps (1,825 watts).
post #3 of 7 Old 05-10-2014, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Picture of the first coat of Duratex applied.

After I took this, I went onto coat two on the sides this morning, then I got the baffles in their second coats this evening.

Getting closer to being ready for use! biggrin.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 05-11-2014, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

And done! Got 1" Sonic Barrier padding inside the cabinet, and got the drivers installed and all in place. I'm very impressed, and I haven't even upped the amplification for it yet. biggrin.gif

post #5 of 7 Old 05-11-2014, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nice job!
post #6 of 7 Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

Looking good. Quick question... can you please confirm what is the internal NET volume of the box. I build a DO box for my RSS460-18 and would be interested in comparing. Mine landed up at 230L in the end.
I then used quite a bit of acoustic stuffing. In hindsight probably a bit too big but it works and sound good connected up to both channels of my iNuke 6k DSP.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-13-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno C View Post

Hi,

Looking good. Quick question... can you please confirm what is the internal NET volume of the box. I build a DO box for my RSS460-18 and would be interested in comparing. Mine landed up at 230L in the end.
I then used quite a bit of acoustic stuffing. In hindsight probably a bit too big but it works and sound good connected up to both channels of my iNuke 6k DSP.

Well, according to the information on this page, the internal net volume is 8 cubic feet, and that's with out the drivers and acoustic stuffing. I'm not sure how to calculate the difference the drivers and padding make for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc5150 View Post

Nice job!

Thanks! biggrin.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page