combining flat packs subwoofers with media console??? Would this work well? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hello everyone,

I'm going to upgrade my media console. There is a place nearby that makes nice pieces and can custom build around the standard designs that they offer. So I was thinking of taking two of the DIY Sound Group's 1 cu/ft flat packs and having the builders cut out an opening either in the rear wall or in the bottom at either end and then placing the sub boxes inside so they are flush with the wall and firing through the opening. The subs would be secured somehow with L brackets so they don't move. I would then have two completely hidden subs on either end of the media console. The console would be long so there would be plenty of space for my electronics in the middle.

The only real drawback I can think of is that the media cabinet might vibrate or rattle. But perhaps the builder can modify it somewhat. What does everyone think? Would this work well? Any other problems you foresee?

Here are a couple pics. This wouldn't exactly be what the media credenza would look like but it would give an idea.

Thanks
Dan
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-12-2014, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yea - don't do this. It will rattle and vibrate your electronics. The only ways it would work is if...

a) The subs are hidden in the console but not attached to it or sitting on any part of it. They would still vibrate things but not as much. Also note that they should not be firing at a joinery panel.
or
b) The subs are "dual opposed"

Another serious issue is that you need some flexibility with where you are placing your subs in order to get them to sound their best. With one cubic foot subs I'm guessing these won't be the loudest things around and it may be best to have them placed nearfield (close to your primary listening position). I built my subs into end tables so the wife would be more accommodating.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-12-2014, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgass View Post

Yea - don't do this. It will rattle and vibrate your electronics. The only ways it would work is if...

a) The subs are hidden in the console but not attached to it or sitting on any part of it. They would still vibrate things but not as much. Also note that they should not be firing at a joinery panel.
or
b) The subs are "dual opposed"

Another serious issue is that you need some flexibility with where you are placing your subs in order to get them to sound their best. With one cubic foot subs I'm guessing these won't be the loudest things around and it may be best to have them placed nearfield (close to your primary listening position). I built my subs into end tables so the wife would be more accommodating.

Thanks. I figured vibrations would be an issue. Maybe if the sub enclosures were purposely built to become part of the cabinet itself it would work. I've already built two 10" subs. In this scenario, I was going to have them elsewhere in the room to smooth out the FR.

I'm not sure what you meant by a joinery panel. I might have been unclear. I meant that the driver would be up against a cutout in the rear panel. So it would be as if the entire rear panel was the baffle with the driver firing directly out of a 10" opening in the back.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
OK so the sub location is probably sorted. Your cut-out solves the issue of the driver being too close to a panel, but the vibration issue makes this idea a no go unless you build your media console out of mass concrete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page