upgrade time, need advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-23-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to upgrade my setup that is in my living room. Room is 15x22 with 8' ceilings. I am currently running a Yamaha RX-V867 with Klipsch Heresy I for mains, Klipsch KG-2 as surround and a newer Klipsch center I don't remember the model of. I have a Sunfire Architectural sub. I love my Heresy, but I am asking them to do things they were not originally intended by using them for a home theater. They sound good, but so many things could be better. I play mostly TV and movies with some scatter concert movies thrown in. I plan to move the Heresy to a small 2 channel and hook them to my turntable where they belong.

I have already bought a Dayton 15" Ultimax kit from PE with a iNuke 3000dsp, cables and a Cleanbox Pro. I am planning to add a second sub sometime in the near future(before end of summer). Right now I am trying to figure out what I want to replace my LCR with. I started my journey looking at building a set of Khanspires with a Khancenter. I am still open to them, but was worried my Yamaha would not be sufficent for them. Currently I am looking at going with a Fusion 12 and Fusion 8 mtm combo. I will eventually replace the full set of surrounds and add the front presence as well. If I go with the Fusions I will either use a Fusion 6 or a Volt 8 for the surrounds.

I have about $1500 left in my budget, but that is flexible up to maybe $2k not including the second sub. I am a capable woodworker, but can be a bit lazy and lean toward flat-packs. I am horrible at anything electronic, but one of my best friends is the electronics guy on an offshore rig. No issues for him. I have a fairly well stocked shop with table saw, routers and such.

I am not as much looking for super loud as I am clarity. Loud is a bonus though. smile.gif I am open to suggestions, critiques and questions. I am sure I have left out some pertinent information that will help the gurus here guide me further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-24-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 367
the Fusion 12's should be just fine.

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 05-25-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Fusions-12 Tempest would be nice, but, I am confused as to why you think that your Herseys are not optimal for theater usage, and that you they are more for music? It is, in my opinion that you have that backwards. The entire Klipsch Heritage line is more optimized for theater usage. Being that you are more interested in clarity and don't listen very loud, have you considered building something with ribbons, such as the Statements? The Tempest would certainly be better than what you have, I would just recommend that you do some more research and talk more about what your goals are before you make a decision. smile.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 05-25-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Don't get me wrong.  I like my Heresy's, but I can't see how speakers that were made before the advent of home theater would be ideal for that situation?  I had originally started this journey looking to upgrade them.  When I saw what the costs of refurbishing to modern standards were, I started looking at new gear.  When I narrowed my decision down to what I listed, i decided to post and ask questions.  I am definitely open to other suggestions.  I initially looked at the Statements, but their need to be off the wall makes them hard for me to use in my living room.  I moved to the Khans because they were much more friendly in that aspect, but they are a bit more complicated build.  With all of the recent threads about how good the Tempests sound, I started leaning that way.

I also want to clarify my volume statement.  I definitely listen loud, but clear is more of a priority.  Clear and loud is even better.  I typically watch action movies somewhere in the -5 to -15 dbs range on my Yamaha.  I try to limit it to that since my surrounds are not designed for much more than that.  I will say I have seen +10dbs watching Cream:Reunion and Pink Floyd Pulse.

I guess what I should have said is I want new gear.  I listed my old gear for comparison and as a bit of a guide.  I am sorry for being a bit confusing.  I posted after reading the the first 6 or so pages of posts and was looking for some more direct guidance.  I hope this helps the gurus here to give me a bit more help.

post #5 of 5 Old 05-25-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Tempests and some volt 10 for surrounds. Then go loud baby smile.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page