DIY Speaker advice needed for new Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-24-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all
Newbie DIY’r here. I’m just starting the construction of my dedicated theater. I’ve been reading this AVS area for a few months now and I’m impressed but also very nervous due to so many awesome builds I’ read about. The framing is up and now I’m getting into the finer details of the components and such. Here is what I’m dealing with:

My room is 3100 cubic feet with 9ft ceilings, room is approx. 14 X 27’. Front speakers are going to be behind a 130” 16:9 Seymour AT screen. Seating will be 12 feet and 19 feet from the screen. Planned setup is for 7.2 with future wiring in place for the option of adding surround Wides for a 9.2 system down the road. Trying to keep the speaker budget around 1800-2000 for all speakers. Acoustic Panels and Base traps and planned to help the acoustics.

I’m looking for Advice / Opinions on what direction I should go for the following:
1. Would Alchemy’s be sufficient for the front 3 LCR? I don’t plan on listening at reference levels too often. I would say my goal is to create a great theater sound with an emphasis of dialogue. Both have great reviews but there is pretty big difference price wise between the two.
2. I am planning on building 2 MartyCubes with either 15 or 18” drivers for the LFE, any recommendations? Would both behind the screen be suitable or should I thinker with the idea of putting one in the back behind the last row against the wall. ( I do want all speakers to be out of sight due to WAF) So placement is pretty limited.
3. For my side surrounds I’m going to use a Di/Bipole type speaker that can service both rows equally, would the Klipsh RS 62/52 work well in concert with the Waveguides? My rear surrounds are also in question. I have about 10 inches in depth so some of the deeper bookshelves won’t work. Plus the positions are not the greatest for the rear seating.
4. I plan on an Inuke 3000DSP to run the subs and I’m leaning towards a Denon 7.2 Receiver for the rest but I’m very open to suggestions in the $1000-1500 range.

Thanks for any suggestions, any help is much appreciated. Thanks Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-24-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Nice to see you have done some research. A few questions,
1),what will you benusimg this for. Just movies, TV ?, music ?
2) what type of movies do you watch ?
3),I have the fusion alchemy mtm but in your theater I would get tempests. Not much more and there worth every penny. Dialogue with the seos 12 waveguide will be better then the eos 6 in the fusion.

4) for bass if you are making the sub's yourself I would make minimarty of full Marty vertical. Won't take up any more floor space and only cost you another couple of sheets of MDF. Get the 18". Wait for the si18d4 and the inuke3000dsp will run them both.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-24-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Chalugadp

70 % sports, 30 % movies. Movies vary but big blockbuster action movies would top the list . Promeseus as an example. That's 1 vote for the Tempests as I suspected .
Can you share a link for the subwoofer build you suggested ? Seems like a lot of folks are waiting for those SI drivers ...

Thanks

Matt
post #4 of 13 Old 05-24-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

For blockbusters you definitely want tempests. Huge dynamics and better midbass with bullets and music scores like the hobbit.

For bass to reach the deep bass of Prometheus you want the bigger sub box. Since it's behind a screen no issues in size. Here is the plans for minimarty

You would want to turn it up vertical.
Pic of mine
post #5 of 13 Old 05-25-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Spend the majority of your budgeted money on speakers & subs. Don't go out and buy a $800+ receiver if you only have $1800 to spend in total. I would recommend a used receiver such as the Denon AVR-3310 or an Onkyo 808 or something similar. You can find great receivers in the sub $400 category on sites like EBay & Craigslist. Don't be in a rush, just be on the lookout for a good used receiver while you are building your speakers and subs.

Speaking of which, I would do Fusion-12 Tempest for the Front L+C+R and Volt8 or Volt10's for surrounds, with a minimum of duel 18" subs in ported enclosures powered by a Behringer iNuke3000dsp. That would be one kick ass setup!
post #6 of 13 Old 05-25-2014, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

For blockbusters you definitely want tempests. Huge dynamics and better midbass with bullets and music scores like the hobbit.

For bass to reach the deep bass of Prometheus you want the bigger sub box. Since it's behind a screen no issues in size. Here is the plans for minimarty

You would want to turn it up vertical.
Pic of mine

- I love that vertical MiniMarty, nothing really mini about it smile.gif That width and depth would be perfect for behind my screen. Are there plans out there for that Vertical edition?

The Tempests seem like the speakers to get for the L+R+C . Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Spend the majority of your budgeted money on speakers & subs. Don't go out and buy a $800+ receiver if you only have $1800 to spend in total. I would recommend a used receiver such as the Denon AVR-3310 or an Onkyo 808 or something similar. You can find great receivers in the sub $400 category on sites like EBay & Craigslist. Don't be in a rush, just be on the lookout for a good used receiver while you are building your speakers and subs.

Speaking of which, I would do Fusion-12 Tempest for the Front L+C+R and Volt8 or Volt10's for surrounds, with a minimum of duel 18" subs in ported enclosures powered by a Behringer iNuke3000dsp. That would be one kick ass setup!

Thanks Marty, I have 2K set aside for the speakers so DIYSoundgroup is going to be my BFF very soon. For the Volts, I don't see an option for a prebuilt crossover, is that an option? That would be an area I don't want to screw up due to my non existent soldering skills / experience.

My receiver options are pretty vast with a price range of 1000-1500 for a 7.2 parameter.

thanks for all your help !
post #7 of 13 Old 05-25-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 176
the volts dont come with a prebuilt but they come with the PCB board. there are only 5 components to the xover and its very easy to solder up

Id go with bigger speakers for the LCR like the Tempests that were suggested. I own them, you will not be disappointed, I also own the Alchemys. which are used for 100% music. They also sound really really good but the tempests are better for HT

the Martys will provide all the bass you are looking for

for an AVR i 2nd the comments about not blowing a ton of money on one. deals pop up all the time. even on new stuff. Amazon will often drop the price of something really low for a cpl of days. refurbs can also be a good deal. Onkyo often sells them direct from them for a really good price
post #8 of 13 Old 05-25-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

The plans I posted can be used. Just stand it up. Remember bass is omni directional. I do have plans for the one I built if u need them.

As for receiver I suggest two options

1) get this one
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4000/denon-avr-x4000-7.2-4k-ultra-hd-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

Don't worry about refurbished. This company stands by its products. This is the set it and forget it option.
Run audyssey and your ready to go.

2) buy this
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/umc200

And this
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/upa700

I have this preamp and love it. Its the opposite of plug and play. You need to do manual peq to get great results. Its not hard but does take 3 or 4 hours to setup and then tweak a bit over the next few weeks. Once dialed in the sound us exactly how u want , not what audyssey sets. The amp has as much power as a avr.

If I were you I'd pick option 2, but you must enjoy tweaking your system to go that route.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-25-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Don't forget JBL pro cinema 3677s for l/c/r. They can be had for ~ 500.00 each from full compass. You just have to call, talk to Zach. Huge sound and would go great with your dipoles.

Don't plan a spot for your subs that you can't change. You will most likely end up needing to move them to get the desired FR.

Spend as much as you can on the acoustic treatment neccessities. You should do front wall, front floor to ceiling traps in both corners, first reflections in the build process. The plan space for a cloud and rear wall treatment, those don't need to be done at right away. Rear wall being a higher priority over the ceiling cloud.

If you aren't set on Audyssey you can get a Pioneer SC15xx model AVR loaded with the latest greatest Pioneer tech for under 800.

I have some good plans for floor to ceiling corner traps that save on material and are just as effective as superchunks. Let me know if you'd like a diagram.

I also have an SI 18 d4 for 125.00 plus shipping.

Nice looking room. It should turn out real nice!

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #10 of 13 Old 05-26-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Don't forget JBL pro cinema 3677s for l/c/r. They can be had for ~ 500.00 each from full compass. You just have to call, talk to Zach. Huge sound and would go great with your dipoles.

Don't plan a spot for your subs that you can't change. You will most likely end up needing to move them to get the desired FR.

Spend as much as you can on the acoustic treatment neccessities. You should do front wall, front floor to ceiling traps in both corners, first reflections in the build process. The plan space for a cloud and rear wall treatment, those don't need to be done at right away. Rear wall being a higher priority over the ceiling cloud.

If you aren't set on Audyssey you can get a Pioneer SC15xx model AVR loaded with the latest greatest Pioneer tech for under 800.

I have some good plans for floor to ceiling corner traps that save on material and are just as effective as superchunks. Let me know if you'd like a diagram.

I also have an SI 18 d4 for 125.00 plus shipping.

Nice looking room. It should turn out real nice!

PDX, thanks for the advice. I'd love to see your acoustic plans...Definitely planning screen wall treatments and corner base traps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

The plans I posted can be used. Just stand it up. Remember bass is omni directional. I do have plans for the one I built if u need them.

As for receiver I suggest two options

1) get this one
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4000/denon-avr-x4000-7.2-4k-ultra-hd-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

Don't worry about refurbished. This company stands by its products. This is the set it and forget it option.
Run audyssey and your ready to go.

2) buy this
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/umc200

And this
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/upa700

I have this preamp and love it. Its the opposite of plug and play. You need to do manual peq to get great results. Its not hard but does take 3 or 4 hours to setup and then tweak a bit over the next few weeks. Once dialed in the sound us exactly how u want , not what audyssey sets. The amp has as much power as a avr.

If I were you I'd pick option 2, but you must enjoy tweaking your system to go that route.

Chalugadp

Man, thanks for the advice and the links, love that Denon receiver at that price. I think with my knowledge level that would be the way to go now, down the road I like the idea of getting separates.

If possible, I'd like to get your full plans for the MiniMartys.

I'm going to do the Volt 8's for my rear surrounds but my side surrounds are screaming for dipole /bipole. Any suggestions for something to go with the Tempests ???

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated

Matt
post #11 of 13 Old 05-26-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Here
post #12 of 13 Old 05-26-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Use a full sheet for the front, then a 20", 16", 12", 8", and finally
a 4" piece for the part in the corner. Only actually requires cutting three
pieces, because if you cut 20" of a 24" piece, you're left with the 4" piece
you need as well, and same with the 16" and 8", then you just cut one
straight down the middle for a 12" piece and you can use the other 12" piece
on the one to the side. So including the front sheet, you're using 3.5
sheets per 4' section.

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #13 of 13 Old 05-26-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 43
6 Individual Seats? I'd throw a love seat in there or something =/
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page