HT newbie needs help designing a system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-08-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I'm not entirely incompetent at this sort of thing, but I've never had the funds or space for a home theater project until recently.  This looks like a lot of fun with a huge reward and something that I can be proud of displaying in my home.  I'm currently using a soundbar/sub in a box Sony HT-CT150, so anything will be an upgrade.

Let me start out by saying that I'm not looking for reference level output.  I dislike the overexposed, rock-concert, cotton-eared feeling, but I do enjoy the thump that a movie theater experience provides now and then.  It will be fun to turn it up loud for an action movie sometimes, but I imagine mostly I'll be listening at "a comfortable volume."  I have been reading and reading on these forums and others and really like a lot of the things I have learned about the DIYSG waveguide kits.  That being said, I'm having trouble deciding when it comes to putting together a system. 

Mainly I'm considering for L/R either the Fusion 8 or 12, but I can wait if there's something better suited to my needs in the works.  Do I need a center channel?  If I do run a center, I would prefer a shorter cabinet, such as fusion 4, 8 mtm, or the special 88, but again, how do I choose?  Is the main reason to step up in size to increase the db potential?

Finally, regarding low frequency, I see people recommending 4x18" setups for a room this large.  Before I was exposed to the DIY world I would see people recommending a single 12" ported SVS, for example.  Will I just be terribly disappointed with a single woofer setup? I could probably stand a single as big as a MartyCube or 2x smaller enclosures and the Dayton 15 or upcoming 18 ultimax seem like a good value/performance combination but perhaps a single ported 12" would be enough.

Constraints

• Use: 45% tv / 45% movies / 10% music (really just ambient during chores, etc, not dedicated listening)
  • Cost: I'm hoping to put together L/C/R + Sub(s) + amp for under $1500
  • Room: 7000(ish?) cubic feet
  • Existing component: Onyko HT-RC230 would be nice if I could push it with this budget receiver for now until I can purchase a grown-up model.
  • Space: This is the living/dining/kitchen room, so I'd prefer it not be dominated by speaker cabinets.  The ceiling is 10ft vaulting up to 15ft.  Forgive my MSPaint:

Thanks for any suggestions or help you can offer.  My head is already spinning from all the information on this topic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-08-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
In your budget I would go with

Fusion 8's pair with preassembled crossover and flatpack 400
Fusion mtm with pre and flatpack 300
Two martycubes with inuke3000dsp and si18d4 900

1600 and would be a huge upgrade. If you are listening at around minus 20 to minus 10 from reference this would be great in your space. If you want to go to reference then the fusion 12 and bigger or more subs would be needed.smile.gif

Good idea to have all three fronts from same family and closely timbre matched ( 3 the same is ideal but not necessary) I love having a centre but if funds are tight you can add it later.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-08-2014, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure the WAF will provide for two sub cubes.  What am I losing if I scale back to a single?  Is it just less volume or are there quality tradeoffs as well?

If I decide to go with the tempest 12s, which center waveguide kit would be the best timbre match for those L/R?

post #4 of 9 Old 06-08-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

You lose 6dbs and smoother response. You can always add another sub when after you buy your wife some new shoes smile.gif
If you use fusion 12 you can still use fusion 8mtm.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Busy with work and other house projects recently, but ready to start moving forward on this now. I've made some decisions but naturally have some more questions.

I have talked things over and have been given the go-ahead to make two 2'x2'x2' ported (20hz) cubes if they can function as speaker stands for the LR channels. I am intending to power them with an iNuke 3000dsp. I am going to spend a bit of time getting all these enclosures looking "living-room" presentable so I don't mind upgrading the front stage to a bigger/better model such as the 1099 or fusion 12 if I am going to be spending 20 hours finishing them. But, as a result, they'll only be 2 (phantom center). If it's really lacking I can bite the bullet and build a third.

Questions:
1. Should I be ordering 15" or 18" SI HT speakers based on this enclosure? The $ difference is not an issue.
2. Should I be ordering d2 or d4 configuration? I ask this because the power handling on the SI subs is 600w and the rms power of a 4ohm wiring is supposedly ~600w. Wouldn't this place less stress (and heat) on an amplifier which I am going to be modding for less airflow? Why does everyone seem to prefer to wire for a 2ohm load?
3. Will these enclosures be suitable as stands for say, the 1099, which just went out of stock?
post #6 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 444
You're better off with the 1099 and phantom center.

Don't place speakers on subs, they slide off and mash on the floor, that and, it's an acoustical nightmare (usually).

With 7000cuft I'd definitely be going 18's...
post #7 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

You want the d4 sub's which allow better wiring options. The sub's are fine as stands. Just place feet on the speakers (1/2") and put them at the front of the sub so sound doesn't hit the top of the sub. Velcro pads will hold the speakers in place and they won't move.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
It wouldn't be that hard to build the 1099's into a tower speaker if you didn't want to use stands.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Ok thank you. Those are some good suggestions.

Still wondering about

Quote:
Originally Posted by horfcha
Should I be ordering d2 or d4 configuration? I ask this because the power handling on the SI subs is 600w and the rms power of a 4ohm wiring is supposedly ~600w. Wouldn't this place less stress (and heat) on an amplifier which I am going to be modding for less airflow? Why does everyone seem to prefer to wire for a 2ohm load?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page