AVS Forum banner

Newb DIY guy, dual UXL-18 GET-R-DONE

13K views 152 replies 21 participants last post by  wyattroa 
#1 ·
Well the time has come for me to take on a project at the request of my wife nonetheless. At first I was looking through the sub forum and wanted to get something along the lines of a HSU VTF15 or PSA xv15se. But then I was thinking for my roughly 2800 cubic foot room I would go with duals. A member int the sub section then mentioned the DIY section and how I would get much more bang for my buck, but I quickly put that out of my mind due to my disability.

For the past 5 years Drs have been unable to figure out what is wrong with me. The only thing they know is that I have an autonomic Nervous system dysfunction. What happens is I will get pretty much the worst pain you can imagine shooting through your entire body in waves since it is targeting every nerve cell. Can't go out in the heat or play with the kids outside, of which I have 3 boys 3 and under. The top drs in Chicago have not been able to figure this thing out so as of now I am waiting to hear back from Mayo clinic in Minnesota. Hence why my wife told me I need to do some type of project to try and take my mind off of things for the time being.

First I would like to thank these members for helping and answering all my questions I sent to them in PM, they were all very nice and patient with me: LTD02, Jbrown15, Chalugadp, erich, and rdgrimes. Each one answered every dumb question I sent their way!

Now onto the sub talk. Now I am coming from a single solitary Orb Super 8 sub, this is all I have ever come to know. So, this should be quit a bit different when finished. I have a ton of movies set off to the side and ready to go just for when I am finished with these.

At first I was going to order a martysub kit from chalugadp, but the more I measured in my home the more I knew they were not going to fit the spaces that well. Thank you again Donny for all your help and answering every question. I then came across Jbrown15 thread and erich stonehenge build all at the same time. I loved that as this would seem to fit the bill. Jbrown also was a big inspiration when talking to him in PM. Thanks again for your help too!

I am going to be using a Inuke6000DSP amp to drive 2 UXL-18's

I then sent LTD02 a message asking him about the dimensions of 36h*30w*16D and 16D would be the best for me. I got PM back that I never expected. I got a drawing and a Winisd graph! Just awesome. He explained that by stretching the height out to 42" and making the dimensions overall 42'h*30"w*16"d I could tune it to 16hz. The port would be on the left hand side and exit towards the ceiling with the driver mounted low to prevent rocking. I was hooked after this.

Here is the drawing provided by LTD02 and the graph associated with it. As you can see from the graph, my room should rock. John, you are one great and special person.

That little orb will seem silly now. I hope I can start building these in the next week, I have been getting supplies for the past week and the drivers should ship at the end of the month. I know when building them I will have about 20-30 minutes of build time before one of my nerve attacks hit and I have to take a break. But in the end I know it will be worth the hard work. The timeframe will be hit or miss also depends on if mayo decides to take on my case or not, fingers crossed they do. If they do decide, you have to drop everything you are doing and go up there when they tell you to.

So that will be the build in a nutshell, I am sure I will have many more questions in the future, but wanted to get this going.

Robert

See less See more
#64 · (Edited)
The first UXL has landed. Just got word from my father in law. Ill get home from mayo maybe late next week or the following week, but its at my house where it belongs.

Also while writing this, I just got notice the second UXL just shipped.
Robert

#71 · (Edited)
Both are now finished. Cant wait to get my amp on Saturday. Going to be epic...going to be so much different then that orb 8 I had.

My amp doesn't come until Saturday. My mic will be here the following week. But they will both get fired up this weekend. I just have to figure out the settings for inuke and make sure all the filters are correct.

Man if you were close to me drinks would be on me. Same with LTD and jbrown.:kiss:

#77 ·
Wow, just wow...got them setup and my kids had finding nemo by the blueray player so I popped it in and went to the darla scene. Had the avr set for sub to 0 and had the volume at -10db.

I was not ready for the power of these. Woke my kids up from their nap, windows flexing. Crazy, I am in love again.

My wife was sitting next to me and said it vibrated her to the point she said i have to use the bathroom now..lol

So many movies lined up to watch.

#82 ·
High pass is at 20hz, butterworth, 6db slope.

Once I get my mic I can get a better reading. I might do the spl meter for the time being. When watching lone survivor my avr was at -15db and I was only getting the second light to come on the amp.

#86 · (Edited)
No it did not, have no idea why i put down 20z..It is indeed 16hz tuning.

I now understand what everyone is talking about with the grenade scene from world war z. I had my avr on -18db and thought my house was going to implode..I have no idea how someone would play it at reference.

#92 ·
Alright been messing with the settings in the amp.
Settings i had
HPF 20hz, butterworth, and 12db
Filter 1 -10db, 20hz, hs12

When on these settings i played Blackhawk down. I remember from papalocks video on YouTube the drivers flying back and forth. Mine kinda just moved very little.

I changed the setting to this and got much more movement, but am not sure this was what I should have done.

HPF 20hz ,butterworth, 6db
Filter 1 2.0db, 20hz, hs12

I noticed the biggest difference when changing the db in the HPF, if i went higher like 12 and above, it seemed to be less output..maybe I am just crazy though.

#93 ·
Your initial settings with the -10db shelf filter probably brought the hpf down to about 12hz or so. So the activity in that scene would be pretty limited considering it's concentrated around 6-8 hz. You aren't going to be feeling or hearing that low anyway so you might as well keep that setting to protect your drivers.

Just my opinion though!

#100 ·
OK guys, after reading this entire thread and Wyat's reactions I'm very interested in maybe tackling this type of build myself. :)

Sorry to derail the thread, but only for one small question to the experts - I currently have 4 PSA XS15s (non-SE) in my ~5000 cu. ft. space. How many of these would I have to build to roughly double the output I have now??

Now, back to your regular programming. :)

#103 ·
Thanks guys! Got me thinking seriously now. :)

Here's my (living) room. I'm thinking I could fit at least 4 in that space behind my chairs. ;) Do you think it's a good idea to put them all in back....I don't think they would fit up front where I have the PSAs now. :confused:

#106 ·
This is what I was just thinking....now, to find someone to buy my PSAs. ;)

#109 ·
Just a random thought I had last night...has anyone converted these to be down-firing? That way they could be stacked 3 or 4 high. ;)

Thinking it would be a pretty easy mod, just put some legs on and BAM!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.