Newb DIY guy, dual UXL-18 GET-R-DONE - AVS Forum
1 2  3  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > Newb DIY guy, dual UXL-18 GET-R-DONE
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 03:20 PM 06-09-2014
Well the time has come for me to take on a project at the request of my wife nonetheless. At first I was looking through the sub forum and wanted to get something along the lines of a HSU VTF15 or PSA xv15se. But then I was thinking for my roughly 2800 cubic foot room I would go with duals. A member int the sub section then mentioned the DIY section and how I would get much more bang for my buck, but I quickly put that out of my mind due to my disability.

For the past 5 years Drs have been unable to figure out what is wrong with me. The only thing they know is that I have an autonomic Nervous system dysfunction. What happens is I will get pretty much the worst pain you can imagine shooting through your entire body in waves since it is targeting every nerve cell. Can't go out in the heat or play with the kids outside, of which I have 3 boys 3 and under. The top drs in Chicago have not been able to figure this thing out so as of now I am waiting to hear back from Mayo clinic in Minnesota. Hence why my wife told me I need to do some type of project to try and take my mind off of things for the time being.

First I would like to thank these members for helping and answering all my questions I sent to them in PM, they were all very nice and patient with me: LTD02, Jbrown15, Chalugadp, erich, and rdgrimes. Each one answered every dumb question I sent their way!

Now onto the sub talk. Now I am coming from a single solitary Orb Super 8 sub, this is all I have ever come to know. So, this should be quit a bit different when finished. I have a ton of movies set off to the side and ready to go just for when I am finished with these.

At first I was going to order a martysub kit from chalugadp, but the more I measured in my home the more I knew they were not going to fit the spaces that well. Thank you again Donny for all your help and answering every question. I then came across Jbrown15 thread and erich stonehenge build all at the same time. I loved that as this would seem to fit the bill. Jbrown also was a big inspiration when talking to him in PM. Thanks again for your help too!

I am going to be using a Inuke6000DSP amp to drive 2 UXL-18's

I then sent LTD02 a message asking him about the dimensions of 36h*30w*16D and 16D would be the best for me. I got PM back that I never expected. I got a drawing and a Winisd graph! Just awesome. He explained that by stretching the height out to 42" and making the dimensions overall 42'h*30"w*16"d I could tune it to 16hz. The port would be on the left hand side and exit towards the ceiling with the driver mounted low to prevent rocking. I was hooked after this.

Here is the drawing provided by LTD02 and the graph associated with it. As you can see from the graph, my room should rock. John, you are one great and special person.

That little orb will seem silly now. I hope I can start building these in the next week, I have been getting supplies for the past week and the drivers should ship at the end of the month. I know when building them I will have about 20-30 minutes of build time before one of my nerve attacks hit and I have to take a break. But in the end I know it will be worth the hard work. The timeframe will be hit or miss also depends on if mayo decides to take on my case or not, fingers crossed they do. If they do decide, you have to drop everything you are doing and go up there when they tell you to.

So that will be the build in a nutshell, I am sure I will have many more questions in the future, but wanted to get this going.

Robert

LTD02's Avatar LTD02 04:02 PM 06-09-2014
looking forward to your build and, wow...sorry to hear about that condition.

a brace that runs down the full length of the slot would be a good idea and in general bracing it all up pretty good and making sure that it is air tight will give best results.

net enclosure volume is somewhere around 8.5 cubic feet or so.

slot is 3" high. first port resonance is around 160hz. cab tuning is around 16hz. port doesn't require any bends, so the build shouldn't be too complicated.

good luck with your build!

for other folks, this one could also work horizontally (and with driver centered for looks) with the same performance.
LO4F's Avatar LO4F 04:13 PM 06-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post

That little orb will seem silly now.

Slightly... Going from the Orb to dual UXL 18s. That will rock your socks off.

Good luck and enjoy smile.gif
Danielson99's Avatar Danielson99 04:34 PM 06-09-2014
I was just curious what your mains are? Assuming you'll rev those subs up a bit with movies....I was wondering if your mains will keep up.
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 06:30 PM 06-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

looking forward to your build and, wow...sorry to hear about that condition.

a brace that runs down the full length of the slot would be a good idea and in general bracing it all up pretty good and making sure that it is air tight will give best results.

net enclosure volume is somewhere around 8.5 cubic feet or so.

slot is 3" high. first port resonance is around 160hz. cab tuning is around 16hz. port doesn't require any bends, so the build shouldn't be too complicated.

good luck with your build!

for other folks, this one could also work horizontally (and with driver centered for looks) with the same performance.

Forgot to mention the brace, but thank you for mentioning that. Yes, have every intention of putting the brace in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO4F View Post

Slightly... Going from the Orb to dual UXL 18s. That will rock your socks off.

Good luck and enjoy smile.gif

Thanks, really look forward to getting it going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post

I was just curious what your mains are? Assuming you'll rev those subs up a bit with movies....I was wondering if your mains will keep up.

Currently am running JBL L820 for L/R and JBL LC2 for center. Did not think about this one, hope they won't be too bad. Might have to do another DIY if these turn out half way decent.
Robert
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 06:37 PM 06-09-2014
GL on your build, post lots of pics.

chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 07:52 PM 06-09-2014
Taken your time and enjoy the ride. Tomorrow I build my second minimarty enclosure and I am making video tutorials for the whole project. Including veneering and finishing. I have to be done by Thursday so I will post it Friday. You might want to check it out, will probably answer some of your questions. smile.gif
Martycool007's Avatar Martycool007 10:03 AM 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Taken your time and enjoy the ride. Tomorrow I build my second minimarty enclosure and I am making video tutorials for the whole project. Including veneering and finishing. I have to be done by Thursday so I will post it Friday. You might want to check it out, will probably answer some of your questions. smile.gif

Hey bro, unfortunately my PM's are messed up and it won't allow me to send one, only reply. Can you shoot me a PM real quick? I have a question that I would like to ask you!
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 03:16 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Hey bro, unfortunately my PM's are messed up and it won't allow me to send one, only reply. Can you shoot me a PM real quick? I have a question that I would like to ask you!

Tried sending pm but wouldn't work.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 12:45 AM 06-11-2014
Nice Robert, I look forward to following your build!...smile.gif

It's a lot of fun once you start down the DIY rabbit hole!....biggrin.gif
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 07:23 AM 06-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Nice Robert, I look forward to following your build!...

It's a lot of fun once you start down the DIY rabbit hole!....
Yeah, I have a feeling this is going to be a slippery slope i am starting on. My wife has no idea what she has started..lol
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 10:31 AM 06-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Yeah, I have a feeling this is going to be a slippery slope i am starting on. My wife has no idea what she has started..lol

Well if she's anything like mine after I finished and installed the last two subs for a total of four, she'll just rolled her eyes and call you and idiot....lol
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 01:58 PM 06-14-2014
Just curious where people are picking up duratex paint. Also, do the type of wire inside the sub matter connecting the driver to the back of the terminal?
Robert
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 01:44 PM 06-18-2014
Alright I got the paint being delivered this week, I have my new clamps coming, my wife got my a brad nailer for fathers day, and I think I pretty much have all the rest of my supplies ready to go.

I am going to be using a UXL-18, has not been delivered yet, hoping at the end of the month or early july from what they have said in email. I like the flush mount look and also think it would just be better with my kids. Does anyone know the cut dimensions for that?
Robert
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 02:38 PM 06-18-2014
18.5" by 18mm deep
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 03:08 PM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
18.5" by 18mm deep
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 02:03 PM 06-19-2014
Just thought I would give one update and good news I got today. Mayo Clinic has decided to accept my case and I have an appointment for July 24!
LTD02's Avatar LTD02 02:57 PM 06-19-2014
that's great new man...really great news!
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 03:02 PM 06-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
that's great new man...really great news!
Yeah, very excited. Its been a long road trying to get there. Also doing the cutting for the subs on Saturday!
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 05:16 PM 06-21-2014
Well, it was a long day for me trying to get the wood cut. But my buddy who is a retired union carpenter was able to help out. Everything is cut and ready to go. This makes it all the more real. Just a couple pictures.

wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 05:26 PM 06-22-2014
Put together the double baffle on both, here is a picture. The brad nailer helps, just clamp it down put a brad nail in and take the clamp off and it stayed.

wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 09:16 PM 06-22-2014
Alright decided to do a bit more today, the wife even helped out! I got the bottom and sides attached to the back. I also got the port brace attached to the port wall. I did not put the port wall in yet as I want to paint it black before doing so. Figured it would be difficult trying to paint it after having it in place. But I posted a picture of a dry fit with the port wall in place.

wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 11:30 AM 06-23-2014
Might be a dumb question, but am I able to glue the boards to eachother if I used a rust-oleum flat black paint on the port walls? Or do i need to tape off a strip down the side wall for the port brace so no paint comes in contact there and the glue will only touch the mdf.
Robert
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 12:06 PM 06-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Might be a dumb question, but am I able to glue the boards to eachother if I used a rust-oleum flat black paint on the port walls? Or do i need to tape off a strip down the side wall for the port brace so no paint comes in contact there and the glue will only touch the mdf.
Robert
Good question,
I would put the tape in just to be sure.
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 01:23 PM 06-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Good question,
I would put the tape in just to be sure.
Thanks for the reply, I had not really seen anyone ask it, so I thought I would throw it out there. I will try to tape it off as best I can.
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 03:55 PM 06-23-2014
Port wall painted along with port area. Taped off the connecting mdf parts. Port brace and wall are now mounted. Next I move on to bracing.
Robert

wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 06:19 AM 06-24-2014
I think i ran into an issue. I am able to run a bead of sealant down the inside joints on all parts but one. If you look at the picture that shows the port wall, once the front face plate is on the port wall is going to block my way from getting to the left side wall and front face where they meet and putting a bead of sealant down it. Not sure what to do. Also, what is everyone using to fill in holes? On a side note bracing is in.
Robert
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 08:43 AM 06-24-2014
Just thinking, would it be better to us PL premium when putting the front face on especially with not having access to the one length inside hidden behind the port wall? Would that give me a better seal then the titebond 2? Just trying to think of ideas that it would seal better along that side.
Robert
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 01:56 PM 06-24-2014
Got the front on today. Going to relax tonight. Body is completely warn down. Put a can in front of it to show size comparison.

Dank1209's Avatar Dank1209 02:33 PM 06-24-2014
Looking good .
1 2  3  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop