Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post
Go to the top right of this page, USER CP
Go to EDIT OPTIONS
Choose your NUMBER OF POSTS PER PAGE

Minimum of 5, max of 100, lots of choices in between.
I did that first thing. That works WITHIN a thread, but on the main page of each section it does not. If I'm in the Hot Off the Press section of HD Programming I'll see posts 94,901 to 95,000 on a page, but if I go to the topics page there are only 20 headers. At the bottom of the page I see " Showing threads 1 to 20 of 35992" Way too few.
Jonny5nz and rcapprotti like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTTV View Post
Bug reports? HOW about telling people about the changes and how they can be utilized BEFORE changing it?? The OLD software, I could easily see the threads I had posted in and be taken to the last msg I posted so I can read from there onward....then the new update screwed that up and I NEVER could figure out how to make it work right....I at least did figure out how to go to a single page showing all my subscribed threads..but this "update" has done away with that..try thinking as a USER.....not an Admin....If the users don't know how to use the new set up, they wont report anything because they think they don't count anymore....
Add my support to BPTTV and Butny:
What was easy about the past was that one bookmark to my profile showed all the subscribed threads with an expand/play/pause.

(IMPORTANT anyone could do this not logged in)
One could expand the threads to see the last five post, even on the threads that were not subscribed but posted to.
As well, one could subscribe and unsubscribe via the Profile page. There was No digging/living in the User Control Panel..

On any page with a user post, one only had to hover over a username to get to the goodies of (profile, pm, etc.)

A user, whether logged in or guest could easily get to the last post of each thread from the Forum Home Page and Sub Forum listing by hitting the last post icon. Face it as it is now we have redundant methods of getting to the first post, at least three from this view alone, and these links work differently and unintuitive between User and Guest.

I believe the demographic of this user group frown upon the larger emote and inability to properly format a graphic has left a bad taste that ruins the formatting of the DIY or Guide posting.

It's turned this into a crayola filled elementary school.

As a guest what other professional forum wastes 1/3 of a users display with a hovering intrusive 'Active Topics'

GD'it we're not lost, and that is the elephant in the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-14_094052.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	115433  

Last edited by Woobieizer; 06-14-2014 at 07:02 AM.
post #333 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I did that first thing. That works WITHIN a thread, but on the main page of each section it does not. If I'm in the Hot Off the Press section of HD Programming I'll see posts 94,901 to 95,000 on a page, but if I go to the topics page there are only 20 headers. At the bottom of the page I see " Showing threads 1 to 20 of 35992" Way too few.
I've lifted this from 20->40, I recognize this is probably not flexible enough (we'll look for a way to let everyone set their own) but at least that makes it slightly better for now.

Mark
post #334 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

agreed, searching for pictures via Google on any project got me where I needed to be focused, even more so when narrowing down a topic or doing research in AVS. I will miss this feature immensely

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.X.Donique View Post
Using Chrome, I miss seeing all/any images contained through out the thread you're in, up in the upper right-hand corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
I miss ability to adjust picture resolution in post. A thumbnail is too small.
A picture prepped for width/height dimensions never needed to be clicked on and did'nt eat up a users display or look like this "wall of text". ie: width/200/height/400/flags/LL

MIA 1
Picture Gallery per forum was in upper right hand corner of each thread, this made it easy to learn and bounce to a specific post. This feature is not available in the thread. Picture Gallery per user/per thread in User Profile is gone. Views per image are only available per the New Gallery feature. Finding one's own images a task much easier with accessibility from user profile or threaded gallery linky. See Pic:

post #335 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Actually I think some of this is the result of the new sidebar that drives traffic to forums people might not visit. Folks from other forums are seeing the title in the side bar and entering the thread that way. They are not conscious they have entered the DIY forum, they just wanted to enter the thread based on it's title in the side bar.

In this respect the side bar is a hit. It's spreads info around and lets you know the topics trending. That is kind of cool. And considering you can disable it too, not much to hate about it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Said the squeaky wheel to the road.
post #336 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Quote:
Actually I think some of this is the result of the new sidebar that drives traffic to forums people might not visit. Folks from other forums are seeing the title in the side bar and entering the thread that way. They are not conscious they have entered the DIY forum, they just wanted to enter the thread based on it's title in the side bar.

In this respect the side bar is a hit. It's spreads info around and lets you know the topics trending. That is kind of cool. And considering you can disable it too, not much to hate about it.

I'm not sure I understood ....

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #337 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 10:29 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalScope View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
The mobile version of this site has really taken a downward spiral since the upgrade. I'm basically using the desktop mode on my Nexus 7 and Nexus 5 at this point, but find it painfully slower as obviously there are a lot of graphics, etc. that have to load.

The most annoying thing so far with the Mobile version is that the concept of breadcrumbs seems to have all but disappeared. I can't figure out is how to get from a post/thread back to the sub-forum? It used to be relatively simple, but now I seem to have to click on the Menu icon, then click on "Forums" (whereas before the subforum and I believe forum you were in would already be there so you could select it), then wait for the master forum list to d, then scroll back down to the forum you were in, etc.

Hopefully I'm just missing something that's right in front of me.
@pbc When in a thread, there's an "Up" button at the bottom of the thread that takes you to the subforum.
I don't see the "up" button, but I did see that the breadcrumb navigation is at the bottom, looks like a tab. E.g., if you're in the Speaker forum there is a blue highlighted cylinder like icon at the bottom that says "Speakers", so that's good. The other thing I'm noticing is the site is dreadfully slow on my phone whereas it was incredibly fast before. Maybe it's just an ISP thing or something. See if it speeds up over time.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #338 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry if I missed it, but how can I turn off the "Active Topics" sidebar? 1/3 of my page is wasted on a rectangle containing threads I mostly have no interest in.
Richard Cohen likes this.
post #339 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What happened to the ability to save individual searches? Can't find this anymore.
post #340 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been a member since 2007, don't post much but always read the threads. I'm on avs probably 5-10 times a day, but this new update/revert to the old days is going to force me off too. I am not a programmer and don't have the technical lingo to explain why it's bad, it's just not really user friendly and in 2014 this is a dirt poor implementation of such a wonderful site. I hope it gets fixed before it drives everyone away.
post #341 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but how can I turn off the "Active Topics" sidebar? 1/3 of my page is wasted on a rectangle containing threads I mostly have no interest in.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/profil...do=editprofile

About halfway down, "Sidebar enabled?"
post #342 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by antisuck View Post
Quote:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/profil...do=editprofile

About halfway down, "Sidebar enabled?"
Thanks! Much better now.
post #343 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I apologize if this was mentioned but didn't when you made a post in a thread it would bump that thread to the first page? In the classified forum I posted and did not see it come up on the first page. Is that just for the classified forum?
post #344 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WOW, this site now sucks, am I allowed to say sucks?
post #345 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's ironic that a few days before the "upgrade" I was thinking to myself how much I loved the forum on my mobile device. I'm not impressed with the upgrade. I'm sure that it doesn't matter that not impressed.
post #346 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 96
[quote=VerticalScope;24892369]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
I don't want to see MY posts. I want to see if there's been any new activity in any of the threads I've posted in. So I want a list of threads sorted on latest activity.
Subscriptions in your user cp should show you this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
So I'm guessing that we can no longer subscribe to threads and see when a new post has been posted in those threads? .....LOL I use to love the fact that AVS wasn't like all of the other forums. You can't even click on the smilies and have it pop up in your post, WTH!...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Are you going to return that function button that you can click on that takes you to your first un-read post? Loved that.
Try the arrow in the thread list. [quote]

That arrow doesn't seem to go to the last unread post, because after I have read all of the unread posts, that arrow still takes me to the start of the posts that WERE unread--but now I've read them.
post #347 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The active topics sidebar needs to go. The option to remove it appears to require a membership upgrade. Is thus for real?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	117377  

Home Theater is GREAT
post #348 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cohen View Post
The active topics sidebar needs to go. The option to remove it appears to require a membership upgrade. Is thus for real?
The option to disable it is in a strange place. In the User Control Panel, select "Edit Your Details" on the left. Scroll down to "Additional Information" and the option to disable it is there. Odd that they'd put it mixed in with personal information.
post #349 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure I understood ....

Mod's please move this Thread to the Suck Forum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-06-14_200459.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	117401  
post #350 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
* How do you remove the annoying ACtive topics side menu?> Leave it for the ipad, They'e should be an option to turn it off> Right now I'm only getting ahlf a screen at AVS> this sucks!
post #351 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I do not own or use a ipad but the instructions can be found here. If you can disable it on a PC so you can actually see the User CP, your one step closer to success..

BTW.. if your not logged in the Active Topic Floater will hog a dinky screen 4ever as you're aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatredaz View Post
* How do you remove the annoying ACtive topics side menu?> Leave it for the ipad, They'e should be an option to turn it off> Right now I'm only getting ahlf a screen at AVS> this sucks!
post #352 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 07:27 PM

Liked: 35
I miss the ability to see the photos that are in a thread

This was a big help when browsing the DIY forums. Now all the how to threads are pretty difficult to navigate and get any information from. Booo on this!
Scott Simonian likes this.
post #353 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDailey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
But a pic says a thousand words bob
You have one of the most offensive avatar's ever! What a jerk.
38 posts in 10 years.

Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajacat View Post
ambesolman
I agree with DDailey. You ought to change your avatar.
Nah, already enough changes going on around here. You'll get over it
Proper attitude. Don't change for anyone. *also your avatar is pretty tame*

Soooo.....looks like AVS is still going through growing pains. Changes each time I log in.
laeriq and ambesolman like this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #354 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed
Please see this post

Monitor this Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post
I miss the ability to see the photos that are in a thread

This was a big help when browsing the DIY forums. Now all the how to threads are pretty difficult to navigate and get any information from. Booo on this!
post #355 of 442 Old 06-14-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Quote:
I've lifted this from 20->40, I recognize this is probably not flexible enough (we'll look for a way to let everyone set their own) but at least that makes it slightly better for now.

Mark
Thank you!

I know you guy are getting a lot of heat, I may grumble but I do appreciate that you are making an effort.
post #356 of 442 Old 06-15-2014, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Liked: 117
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mark
Thank you!

I know you guy are getting a lot of heat, I may grumble but I do appreciate that you are making an effort.
I am not accusing you, Matt, but one of the problems we are running into is that everyone thinks that his problem is the most severe and should be at the top of the list. Every time we hear someone complain, it is always "a deal breaker" or he says "I won't come back here again" or otherwise shows very little patience. Mark (VerticalScope) and his guys are working hard to resolve ALL of the issues, and in fact are making changes on the fly, so something that didn't work 10 minutes ago might be fixed by simply refreshing the page or clearing the browser cache. If people just showed a little patience, they would stop with all of these "the sky is falling" posts.

Again, this is not directed at you - you have in fact not been one of those people....I just chose this time (around 4:55 AM ) to make this point.

Last edited by Bob Sorel; 06-15-2014 at 01:59 AM.
post #357 of 442 Old 06-15-2014, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Might be a good idea to remind people about using CTRL-F5 instead of F5 for page reloads. Guess I just did.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #358 of 442 Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Thanks! Much better now.
Ditto- was about to give up on the place.

post #359 of 442 Old 06-15-2014, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Liked: 117
I have prepared this post because I seem to need to post the same things over and over again, so this way I can just copy the same post as needed. New people don't seem to be reading any of the old posts, so I feel compelled to continually post in the hopes of reaching as many people as possible.

First of all, we changed from Huddler to vBulletin because Huddler is no longer being supported. vBulletin was our old software, but it has changed quite a bit since the last time we used it, and we have experienced bugs and problems in the changeover process. The vB team, admins, and mods are doing their best to solve problems and help people as quickly as we can, but these things take TIME, and as such we ask for your patience. Everything WILL get sorted out and AVS Forum will be better than ever!

That being said, please note that things are being fixed on the fly, so what didn't work 10 minutes ago might work now by simply performing a page refresh or by clearing the cache of your browser (try CTRL-F5 instead of F5 for page reloads). Also, I highly recommend going to "tools/user cp" and checking EACH AND EVERY OPTION available to set things up the way you want them set up. Don't check just the obvious settings, but rather ALL of the settings - there is much more stuff in there than meets the eye upon casual inspection!

The most common complaint question: "How do I get rid of that sidebar on the right?"
Answer: Go to "tools/user cp/edit you details/Sidebar enabled?" and change the setting to "disabled".

Email notification changes can be found at "tools/user cp/Edit options" and "tools/user cp/user tagging".

Regarding Thread Subscription Notification, please read this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...l#post24980506

From blah450 - "That took a while! I noticed at the end of the task (Murphy's Law here!) that the "Selected Threads" drop down menu at the bottom of my "thread subscriptions" list allows me to quickly tick all the check boxes and change en masse. The drop down is accessed immediately below the "Last post" and "Notification" columns of the the subscribed threads. This seems to be the only place to update subscription type wholesale for past subscriptions...and is WAY quicker than unsubscribing and resubscribing each sub. Hope this saves someone else some headaches."

If none of the above solves your complaint, then please report the problem here, and be sure to include as many details as possible (desktop PC or mobile, browser, etc.):

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...come-back.html

There are problems which have already been reported, but not fixed as yet, but if something is not working for you, please report the problem as accurately as possible, and then check back there for a response as to its status.

VerticalScope (Mark) and his team have been very diligent and have been fixing things at blazing speed. Your problem will get solved - please be patient.

This has been a public service announcement - thank you for choosing AVS Forum...
Willie, Woobieizer, Nayan and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Bob Sorel; 06-15-2014 at 08:39 AM.
post #360 of 442 Old 06-15-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixarp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
So I'm guessing that we can no longer subscribe to threads and see when a new post has been posted in those threads? .....LOL I use to love the fact that AVS wasn't like all of the other forums. You can't even click on the smilies and have it pop up in your post, WTH!...lol
Hey Joe, if you click on "User CP" you will see your subscriptions. I couldn't find mine first either.
Thanks. I'll stick around (after 10+ years) for a week or two. Not sure I want to go thru the learning curve that will be required to find out all these new ways of making use of the forum. Eg. Wanted to search to see if there was any discussion anywhere on "Slingbox". Search said "none". Can't believe that word hasn't appeared at least once in the forums.
Problem is - there is no other forum out there to discuss a lot of this stuff. As I recall, AVS lost a lot of users with the last "upgrade". This will cause more to flee.
Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List
Archaea, carp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page