post #181 of 442 Old 06-12-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post
So much drama, almost exactly like the last time it changed away from vBulletin. IMO the members posts are what make it worthwhile, and the forum software is usable.
The voice of reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 442 Old 06-12-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Just curious because I am seeing a lot of members I have never seen in the DIY section , but is this thread posted or "stickied," in other sections of the forum?

I am not a fan of the new format myself and its mainly just the subscription section. Everything was just made easier to get to in the old format. New posts to subscribed threads and other things. I really liked this feature because it separated itself from all other forums. I will have to learn a whole new way of doing things but oh well. For me it is just plain harder to navigate.

When the last version came onboard the only thing that really changed to me was that the avatars were different and the format was slightly different. No huge cages. Now everything is different.

HTS is also VS and maybe these new designs take up less server space. I dont know but it just seems more like old school drop down menus is all.

Either way I hope everything gets better and progress of new threads continue to grow. I have other opinions but who cares about those. BUT maybe DB and DIYSG forums will grow now.

Also I have other forums send me emails of new activity in subscribed threads but I dont need more forums doing this. I enjoyed coming here and see a number on my subscriptions area telling me there is new content. So can I make it so I can see a number of new posts to each subscribed thread and not receive any emails?

If I cant do this then I will just have to receive the email, click on the link and scroll back to the point I read last.
Jonny5nz likes this.
post #183 of 442 Old 06-12-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Yes it is change but I don't feel any reason to give up right from the start. The key for you developers and administrators or moderators and all working on this. Less clicks to do things equals success! Quote that and make it your motto. I feel posting pictures takes longer now. It's not hard, But lets be honest. In this day and age the ease and flow of software and apps is what makes or breaks them. How about we delete the "need" to have to "go advanced" to do more. Why don't we just make that or those options under "go advanced" just there as the base? Also bigger pictures are needed for sure. Clicking on thumbnails is just one more step to have to look at content. Again less clicks equals success. Not complaining just trying to give my honest advice
Jonny5nz likes this.
post #184 of 442 Old 06-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 77
What is a sticky?
post #185 of 442 Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So what was wrong with the old format? I'm tellin ya, this computer thing is never going to catch on!

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #186 of 442 Old 06-12-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
Tools - Threads I've posted in?
Thanks. I'm certain it wasn't there until I cleaned the browser cache. Thanks for adding it back.

It's still not AS good as before, as it's only available at the top, so after completing reading a thread you need to scroll back up.

Could the entire menu line perhaps be put at the bottom too?

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #187 of 442 Old 06-12-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

and take me top of page from the bottom is needed. And not having the threads in my subscription list go to the bottom after I click on them
post #188 of 442 Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
So much drama, almost exactly like the last time it changed away from vBulletin. IMO the members posts are what make it worthwhile, and the forum software is usable.
Usable, workmanlike, stable - all good terms to describe the software. However I do not see easy to use, enjoyable or nice used as adjectives to describe it. Coming here should be an enjoyable experience - things should work - and quite honestly at this point for me it's not.

The fonts are ugly, layout looks workmanlike, the smilies look like something a kindergartener would use, functionality we've had for years is gone, and the email updates are a joke.

I'm not saying I'm leaving as some have stated, but I will be spending a hell of a lot less time here.
post #189 of 442 Old 06-12-2014, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
WTF..... I step away from AVS for a few days to watch movies only to come back and find it sucking ass. If it ain't broke, why brake it? I already get that from the DC government. I come here to get away from that cluster....

My biggest complaint was the lack of a warning or other announcement. It would also be nice if the links that takes me to my last post and to the last post in the thread were restored. Right now, I just see one for the last page.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand the change or need for it when the previous forum worked so well from my perspective. A big thumbs down on this bonehead move. Of course, I may have missed the true reason for this change. Perhaps it was explained somewhere, but I never got the memo. It would have been nice to make the explanation a default page on the first time back after switching software. It might have helped set expectations from the start.
flinchn likes this.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #190 of 442 Old 06-12-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Man, what a nightmare. I've been on the desktop version of the site only a dozen times or so since joining avs. I exclusively use the mobile version since I'm so rarely at a computer, I can't be the only one. When I first joined, there was a great app...then we changed to huddler. I had to use the inferior tapatalk app until the mobile version was finally completed. THAT mobile version was excellent. THIS mobile version is worse than trying to read the desktop version on my phone.
Where's the post count?
Where's the ability to multiquote?
Where's the icon to tap for adding pics in the quick reply?
The convoluted way of postings pics is absurd. There's no reason I should have to add anything to a URL to make it work.
Where's the thumbs up?
Where's the ability to search within the classifieds?

All these things should be at your fingertips for simple selection. I haven't been at a computer to try the desktop version, but I've heard the complaints. As bad as they sound, the mobile version is 10x worse because these options have been completely removed. Go find a huddler site (if they still exist) and copy their mobile version. THAT'S how a user friendly mobile version is supposed to work.
Guess I'm off to tapatalk, 👎
Tack, flinchn and Waboman like this.
post #191 of 442 Old 06-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Why fix what's not broken? Security patches?

I've been through several different BB upgrades (as a user) over the past 15 years, and they had their problems, sure. But nothing like this, where my experience is ruined.

You want specific recommendations? Downgrade.
post #192 of 442 Old 06-12-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
The "why" was explained well I thought: The previous software was proprietary belonging to the previous owner of AVS - when they were sold to someone else, staying on that software was no longer an option.
post #193 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The "why" was explained well I thought: The previous software was proprietary belonging to the previous owner of AVS - when they were sold to someone else, staying on that software was no longer an option.

exactly
post #194 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

The phrase "shop around" comes to mind.
post #195 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Man, what a nightmare. I've been on the desktop version of the site only a dozen times or so since joining avs. I exclusively use the mobile version since I'm so rarely at a computer, I can't be the only one. When I first joined, there was a great app...then we changed to huddler. I had to use the inferior tapatalk app until the mobile version was finally completed. THAT mobile version was excellent. THIS mobile version is worse than trying to read the desktop version on my phone.
Where's the post count?
The convoluted way of postings pics is absurd. There's no reason I should have to add anything to a URL to make it work.
Where's the thumbs up?

All these things should be at your fingertips for simple selection. I haven't been at a computer to try the desktop version, but I've heard the complaints. As bad as they sound, the mobile version is 10x worse because these options have been completely removed. Go find a huddler site (if they still exist) and copy their mobile version. THAT'S how a user friendly mobile version is supposed to work.
Guess I'm off to tapatalk,

postcount is under your avatar it says "posts"

click the multyquote button to make it change color for posts you want to quote and then hit quote and it will grab them all

there are 2 ways to add pictures in the quick reply box, the first is the attachment way which looks like a paper-clip icon its in the top row next to the smiley face

the 2nd is to link a URL and you use the icon that is yellow and looks like a mountain in the 2nd row

umm you had to add [ img] tags to urls on the old forum to get them to post in line as well, you just didn't notice as the uploader/linker was doing it for you, if you were hosting from offsite you needed to use them

Thumbs up is now "like" and the "like button" is in the bottom right corner of someones posts

to search any forum click on the magnifying glass icon in the top right (this is the universal icon for search BTW) go to advanced search - make sure the classifieds is highlighted under "search in forums" or it will search all forums type in what you want to search for and select the other options that are available

FFS people give it a chance. VB is one of if not the most used forum software out there. it has all the features we had before. some just need to be turned on and some things just need to be ironed out. stop being afraid of change

Last edited by Sibuna; 06-13-2014 at 01:10 AM.
post #196 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

im not sure this can be changed in VB or not but the PM system needs to be changed so they work like threads again, it needs to show sent and revived PMs from a common PM thread inline with each other as well as a list of who is on the chain.

also the limit of 5 people per PM needs to be upped, it used to be 10 which was also too low.

I have a bunch of PM convoys going with a large group of people that i can no longer follow because the replies don't show up correctly and there is no easy way to see if someone has sent a PM to more than one person when replying, the respond to PM does not seem to grab all senders
post #197 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Where's the post count?
Where's the thumbs up?

Guess I'm off to tapatalk,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
postcount is under your avatar it says "posts"

click the multyquote button to make it change color for posts you want to quote and then hit quote and it will grab them all

there are 2 ways to add pictures in the quick reply box, the first is the attachment way which looks like a paper-clip icon its in the top row next to the smiley face

the 2nd is to link a URL and you use the icon that is yellow and looks like a mountain in the 2nd row

umm you had to add [ img] tags to urls on the old forum to get them to post in line as well, you just didn't notice as the uploader/linker was doing it for you, if you were hosting from offsite you needed to use them

Thumbs up is now "like" and the "like button" is in the bottom right corner of someones posts

to search any forum click on the magnifying glass icon in the top right (this is the universal icon for search BTW) go to advanced search - make sure the classifieds is highlighted under "search in forums" or it will search all forums type in what you want to search for and select the other options that are available

FFS people give it a chance. VB is one of if not the most used forum software out there. it has all the features we had before. some just need to be turned on and some things just need to be ironed out. stop being afraid of change
This version of vB is not the well loved and familiar vB most forum users are use to. This version is not as user friendly as the aforementioned other vBs.

What ambesolman is saying refers to the mobile version. I believe you're answering for the desktop version. I completely agree with what ambesolman is saying as I use the mobile version quite frequently too.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #198 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

ahh my bad, its 4 AM and im still all messed up because of jetlag
post #199 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

i have the box checked but im not getting emails when i get PMs or someone Quotes me in a post
post #200 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Thanks. I'm certain it wasn't there until I cleaned the browser cache. Thanks for adding it back.

It's still not AS good as before, as it's only available at the top, so after completing reading a thread you need to scroll back up.

Could the entire menu line perhaps be put at the bottom too?
I am still getting nothing in the tools drop down even after I cleared my cache (Chrome)

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #201 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Navigating the new site on a mobile device is a pain.

What happened the subscribed forums list. I no longer see it on the user cp
post #202 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
So, I'm still a little confused with one thing, if I post in a thread now, is there a quick way to see if that thread has any new replies (i.e., like clicking on our username in the old system) or must I subscribe to every thread I post in?

post #203 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
Navigating the new site on a mobile device is a pain.

What happened the subscribed forums list. I no longer see it on the user cp
UserCP - List Subscriptions
post #204 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
There's one thing that's still not clear to me, if I post in a thread (say this one!) is there a quick way for me to find out if there are new replies to that thread without actually subscribing to it? Similar to how we seen a list of posted in threads when clicking on our username under the old system?

post #205 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post
So, I'm still a little confused with one thing, if I post in a thread now, is there a quick way to see if that thread has any new replies (i.e., like clicking on our username in the old system) or must I subscribe to every thread I post in?
Menu / Tools / Threads I've posted in (at the bottom)
CheYC likes this.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #206 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Menu / Tools / Threads I've posted in (at the bottom)
yea its there

but you need to be able to sort it by date that you last posted not date of last post IMO
post #207 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
guys read earlier in this thread, practically every question being asked is already answered. The only real issues right now is image uploading, edit box size, and a couple other tiny things that are being fixed. Most stuff is the same just a tiny bit different to get to it. Just go through your options or user control panel and you can find pretty much everything.
post #208 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoJo View Post
i understand the changeover has gone through some testing before launch .. i really wonder who tested it and how much they where not looking at it, coz a lot of obvious things should have been there allready instead of people complaining about it now. imho it should have been completed first with old skin from before the change to huddler and the picture embedding and notification stuff and the editor from the last century could have been fixed before launching the new site to the public.
There were a lot of us that tested out the new software before launch, but there is just so much that we could do....And there were things that worked fine in the SandBox that were broken when the actual site was launched....I have no idea why. But people are working hard on fixing these issues.

And one more time, Huddler is no longer being supported...We HAD to change software.
post #209 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 98
When reading a thread and someone would post a new reply, I would get a popup that said 1 new reply...is this not working any longer?
I miss that!
post #210 of 442 Old 06-13-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

fatshaft

To be honest i not sure VB can do that, ive never seen it on any VB forum i use. I agree was a nice feature but it may have been unique to huddler
Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List
Archaea, carp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page