2Likes
  • 2 Post By kevings

post #1 of 9 Old 06-12-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Martycube

Looking to build a Martycube. Does anyone have one near El Centro CA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post
Here is our list of attendees for our June 21st showing of Lone Survivor.

Duc
Duc Guest 1
Duc Guest 2
Scott Simonian
Jorge
Peterc613
edude (Manoj) Hang out and meet new folks
Kevins
Shane (possible)

So far so good we have filled up 1 time slot . Once we get more we can decide on what 2 times work for everyone.

Also feel free to come by even if you are not interested in watching the movie and just want to hang out. I'm sure there will be plenty that come by just for that.

I don't know about anyone in the San Diego, but some of the members of the AVS Los Angeles Home Theater Group have Marty Cubes and we get together regularly. The next GTG is on the 21'st at ivanpino's house. AVS members come from from all over southern California and you are welcome to join us. Scott often comes from Clovis CA almost 240 miles away (much farther than El Centro).

Los Angeles Home Theater Group Meet

Here is a picture of the LA AVS members from The Show Newport last month:

Also, kevings is a local member in Orange County with Marty Cubes and we have been talking about getting together to hear his subs:

Pics attached ....All 3 Marty's done...it's been an awesome 6 week journey!

post #3 of 9 Old 06-13-2014, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately for now im working weekends til I get another route. Hopefully that is soon. Would love to check out the subs in person when I get the chance and my wife allows it. If I don't get the sub I asked my wife for a few weeks ago I'm going to build my own. What do I have to lose. The worse that happen is the cabinet not looking pleasing to the eye lol.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

I currently do not own a table saw or know anyone near that has one either. Is it possible I could get one of the hardware stores to make the cuts for martycube project? I dont really want to buy a table saw for one project.
Any suggestions?
post #5 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
must be a California thing looking at a marty cube as well but the vertical cube
post #6 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

I showed my some pictures of the other members builds and she liked the look of them. Don't think she will like how loud it will be lol. I demoed the new bic dv84s for her without a sub and she thinks thats too loud. Actually Im suprized how much low end those speakers have. What ever I build i'll use it louder when shes not home lol.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by charvel74 View Post
I currently do not own a table saw or know anyone near that has one either. Is it possible I could get one of the hardware stores to make the cuts for martycube project? I dont really want to buy a table saw for one project.
Any suggestions?
charvel,

plenty of places will do it for you...home depot, lowes, ganahl lumbar. just make sure that the guy cutting the wood takes his time / is in a good mood. It would suck to get the wood home and find out that every single cut is off by a quarter of inch or so. Some guys care and will be accurate, some are just there getting there hourly pay, and couldn't care less about how accurate they are, or how your sub turns out.

you could also buy a handheld circular saw, and use clamps as a guide. I have made some nice accurate cuts using this method. if you dont know what i mean, go on you tube and search for diy track saw or circular saw jig, and lots of good videos will pop up, to give you ideas.
artyusmce and charvel74 like this.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

I asked at Homedepot and Lowes. They said there cuts are not exactly accurate for all the pieces I would need to cut. I just checked out some table saws and the lowest priced one was $129 . Not bad but a big investment for one project lol. I will check out the method you mentioned above. I already bought 4 pieces of MDF 3/4" thick 2'x4' . That's the only way it will fit in my car lol. I got some clamps and a few other things at Harbor Freight too.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

heres a good one with a jigsaw
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page