Full Vertical MArty 15hz or mini 15hz - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
artyusmce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tehachapi, Ca.
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Full Vertical MArty 15hz or mini 15hz

Ok I ve seen the marty cube, the mini, the vertical mini and the Cyclops.


But I haven't seen the cut sheet or sketchup for a full marty vertical with ports in the front? At max 48" tall with a foot print of 24 to 26 inches


Also would that get me to 15hz?


Would it be cut sheet friendly in 1/2 inch MDF?


Last question could a mini with bottom ports get to 15hz


my goal would to build 2


thank you
artyusmce is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyusmce View Post
Ok I ve seen the marty cube, the mini, the vertical mini and the Cyclops.


But I haven't seen the cut sheet or sketchup for a full marty vertical with ports in the front? At max 48" tall with a foot print of 24 to 26 inches


Also would that get me to 15hz?


Would it be cut sheet friendly in 1/2 inch MDF?


Last question could a mini with bottom ports get to 15hz


my goal would to build 2


thank you
You need to use .75" MDF. Here is minimarty drawing. This has 3" port tuned to 17hz. If you want 15hz just change port height to 2.5".
artyusmce and Smittyfit like this.
chalugadp is online now  
Old 06-14-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
artyusmce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tehachapi, Ca.
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank you chalugadp




You mean the port rails correct?


that's all I have to do?


I was planning the Si 18d4s with the inuke3000, ande read alot of the threads and didn't see that quick adjustment for 2 more Hertz.


How low can the vertical mini or full marty go, with 18s?


I think LTD02 answered this but the new search engine stinks
artyusmce is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyusmce View Post
Thank you chalugadp




You mean the port rails correct?


that's all I have to do?


I was planning the Si 18d4s with the inuke3000, ande read alot of the threads and didn't see that quick adjustment for 2 more Hertz.


How low can the vertical mini or full marty go, with 18s?


I think LTD02 answered this but the new search engine stinks
Yes , port rails. Both need to be adjusted and the port bottom and back to match. If you went to 2" the tuning would be about 13hz but port velocity drops too low. At 2.5" the tuning would be between 15 and 15.5hz.
chalugadp is online now  
Old 06-14-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
artyusmce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tehachapi, Ca.
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Yes , port rails. Both need to be adjusted and the port bottom and back to match. If you went to 2" the tuning would be about 13hz but port velocity drops too low. At 2.5" the tuning would be between 15 and 15.5hz.
man your quick
so since will be first diy subs should I leave well enough alone and stick to the original plans


I know, I said I want to build two, but I will probably build the marty cube first;
if that matters in your response
artyusmce is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Its not a big change to the plans. Won't make it more difficult. Depends upon how lo you want to go. Two minimarty can hit reference at 15hz with 17hz tuning. Only go lower if you want to hit 10 to 14hz better.
artyusmce likes this.
chalugadp is online now  
Old 06-15-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
artyusmce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tehachapi, Ca.
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Its not a big change to the plans. Won't make it more difficult. Depends upon how lo you want to go. Two minimarty can hit reference at 15hz with 17hz tuning. Only go lower if you want to hit 10 to 14hz better.


Is there a cut sheet from a full sheet(s) of mdf
artyusmce is offline  
Old 06-15-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Check my video sub build thread. All info is there
chalugadp is online now  
Old 06-15-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
artyusmce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tehachapi, Ca.
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Check my video sub build thread. All info is there
Thank you
artyusmce is offline  
Old 06-15-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 18,241
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 1552
donny, nice work.


how would you suggest that I learn sketchup?


for now, just the basics, like being able to draw a subwoofer enclosure like you posted above.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is online now  
Old 06-15-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
donny, nice work.


how would you suggest that I learn sketchup?


for now, just the basics, like being able to draw a subwoofer enclosure like you posted above.
I just posted se sketchup tutorial videos I made a couple of years ago. There on my YouTube channel. Tomorrow I will make one just for doing speakers.
kevings, LTD02 and artyusmce like this.
chalugadp is online now  
Old 06-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Peterc613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Van Nuys, CA
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
donny, nice work.


how would you suggest that I learn sketchup?


for now, just the basics, like being able to draw a subwoofer enclosure like you posted above.
I just posted se sketchup tutorial videos I made a couple of years ago. There on my YouTube channel. Tomorrow I will make one just for doing speakers.
What's the link to find these?
Peterc613 is offline  
Old 06-16-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
donny, nice work.


how would you suggest that I learn sketchup?


for now, just the basics, like being able to draw a subwoofer enclosure like you posted above.
I just posted se sketchup tutorial videos I made a couple of years ago. There on my YouTube channel. Tomorrow I will make one just for doing speakers.
What's the link to find these?
Go to one of the sub videos and then go to other videos. Do the beginner and intermediate videos and you should be good.
LTD02 likes this.
chalugadp is online now  
Old 06-16-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 18,241
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 1552
awesome! i'll definitely check them out. thanks again.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is online now  
Old 06-16-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
artyusmce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tehachapi, Ca.
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This thread is now DOA


great videos
and I want more or befriend the local wood shop instructor
artyusmce is offline  
Old 06-16-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Hey come up to beautiful British Columbia and you can drop on by [emoji12]
chalugadp is online now  
Old 06-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Boomassiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Yes , port rails. Both need to be adjusted and the port bottom and back to match. If you went to 2" the tuning would be about 13hz but port velocity drops too low. At 2.5" the tuning would be between 15 and 15.5hz.

The front panel would also change correct? Would both port panels change or just one? Sorry I want to be sure.
Boomassiv is offline  
Old 06-23-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomassiv View Post
The front panel would also change correct? Would both port panels change or just one? Sorry I want to be sure.
Yes,
If you adjust the rails the baffle changes as well. I often cut the baffle a little bigger, then assemble, and cut a 1/16 off it to make it just right. Or cut baffle shorter and flush trim the top.
chalugadp is online now  
Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Boomassiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Do you have a cut plan for this cabinet? (as far as how to lay it out on the 2 pieces of mdf)
Boomassiv is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomassiv View Post
Do you have a cut plan for this cabinet? (as far as how to lay it out on the 2 pieces of mdf)
Cut first 48.5" from length. Then cut 24" down middle, another 24" for other piece. You then have 8 pieces that are 24" wide by 48 3/8" long. From there start cutting down to final size like I did in video. Remember port length for full Marty is 36 " long .
chalugadp is online now  
Old 06-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Boomassiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Ok thanks-sorry I didn't see earlier post about seeing your video. If I can get same output from mini marty as the full I will just build minis. That brings up another question.....why build the bigger one if the output is the same and how is the output the same? Speaker limitations?
Boomassiv is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomassiv View Post
Ok thanks-sorry I didn't see earlier post about seeing your video. If I can get same output from mini marty as the full I will just build minis. That brings up another question.....why build the bigger one if the output is the same and how is the output the same? Speaker limitations?
Full Marty has slight advantage of 1 dB's at tuning. Full was designed first. Mini uses back port to keep tuning at 17hz.
chalugadp is online now  
Old 07-23-2014, 04:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Smittyfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 25
chalugadp -> Hey bro, I was going to make one 2x2x4 but seeing this one at 2x2x40" could you chart them both up for me please... I would like to see the difference between 40" and 48" high.... I am only debating because if tiny difference I could use the rest of the wood as internal bracing and for the slot... Am I on the correct track here?


I was thinking of tuning it to 14hz, or 17hz, but people keep saying 17hz will be more impressive... Could I get your opinion, as well anyone else's...


Thank you all!
Smittyfit is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyfit View Post
chalugadp -> Hey bro, I was going to make one 2x2x4 but seeing this one at 2x2x40" could you chart them both up for me please... I would like to see the difference between 40" and 48" high.... I am only debating because if tiny difference I could use the rest of the wood as internal bracing and for the slot... Am I on the correct track here?


I was thinking of tuning it to 14hz, or 17hz, but people keep saying 17hz will be more impressive... Could I get your opinion, as well anyone else's...


Thank you all!
Do the minimarty. SPL is so close to full you couldn't hear the difference. Tuning is 15hz for this one, if you want it higher drop the back port a few inches


Good luck, I built this one and I know it performs great.
chalugadp is online now  
Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Smittyfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 25
chalugadp -> If I tune it higher.... Will it have more punch bass, like kick in the chest, or about the same?


Will this sound as good as the SVS pb ultra? Or better?


Honestly bro, I know you know your stuff, I think I will just make 2 of these and stop killing myself thinking....


I thank you so much!!
Smittyfit is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Smittyfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 25
chalugadp -> I'm a real noob what are the following:


Port bottom?
Port back?
Bottom rails?
Back rails?


Thank you!!
Smittyfit is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Audio Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyfit View Post
chalugadp -> If I tune it higher.... Will it have more punch bass, like kick in the chest, or about the same?
Kick in the chest bass is much higher (60 - 100 Hz).

Kick you in the chest mid-bass? Examples?

Tuning higher by a few Hz won't make a difference up there.
Audio Geek is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyfit View Post
chalugadp -> I'm a real noob what are the following:


Port bottom?
Port back?
Bottom rails?
Back rails?


Thank you!!
Port bottom is piece on top of bottom rails (slot in bottom)
Port back is vertical back piece that is a slot for air to go down and then air goes out the bottom port.
cocytus likes this.
chalugadp is online now  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Smittyfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 25
chalugadp -> I think I understand, regardless I will cut everything to the dimensions listed, and go from there. If I have questions could I send you a video or picks?


If I extend the cab another 8" how much more SPL will I get? Also will it sound as musical? I'm kind of worried regarding "air velocity" or something like that... Someone said if it too big it will be under 16 m/s... Or something... I don't really know, I'm a noob. Could you explain the differences one could expect. I also heard it will only be down 1 dB across the board with the 40" instead of the 48" is this true?


Thanks a lot!
Smittyfit is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyfit View Post
chalugadp -> I think I understand, regardless I will cut everything to the dimensions listed, and go from there. If I have questions could I send you a video or picks?


If I extend the cab another 8" how much more SPL will I get? Also will it sound as musical? I'm kind of worried regarding "air velocity" or something like that... Someone said if it too big it will be under 16 m/s... Or something... I don't really know, I'm a noob. Could you explain the differences one could expect. I also heard it will only be down 1 dB across the board with the 40" instead of the 48" is this true?


Thanks a lot!
watch my " video subwoofer build "on YouTube. shows you the whole thing. you only lose 1 to 1.5 dB's with shorter.
chalugadp is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off