[DIY] Option of rebuilding some old Cerwin Vega speakers. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-15-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question [DIY] Option of rebuilding some old Cerwin Vega speakers.

This speakers were built back in 1992, they are reasonably nice Cerwin Vega VS-80 that were given to me by my father. They still work and sound alright compared to what I am use to. But age has had its toll on them.

Gallery of the Speakers: http://imgur.com/a/lgPYs

The boxes are nicely tuned, they will clean up nicely, and well built. I will be moving and want to get a good set of Bookshelf speakers for a 2.1 setup to start with but the Polk Monitor 45b is running about $200 a pair.

I was looking at the option of pulling at least the woofer and replacing them with something better. That will perform for mix use. If I could get away building both speakers for under $100 I would be ecstatic.

Specs of the old VS-80s
Configuration: 2-way w/ Bass Reflex
Tweeter Size: 1"
Woofer Size: 8"
Freq Response: 38 - 20000 Hz
Resistance: 8 Ohm
Recommended Power: 5 - 100 Watt
Sensitivity: 94 dB
Crossover Freq: 3600Hz

I figured before I got all excited about everything and started ordering, I would reach out to this fine forum and ask for some input. I would even be willing to replace the Crossover and Tweeter if price was reasonable.

So where is the recommended place to purchase speakers for DIY Builds, if this turns out great, I may even build my sub and other components over time. I did find www.parts-express.com as one location for sourcing woofers and other parts.

PS: It should be known that I am a bang for the buck kind of person. I have a wonderful LG 47LN5750 that is not the greatest top of the line TV, but it looks great and performs for everything I need. My car audio in my truck (reg cab Ranger) is powered nothing but Alpine Deck, Kenwood 2 ways all around, 8in polk sub, kicker amp. It was cheap and performs a hell of alot better than what came in the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Flat pack kits from DIY sound group would probably better trying to refurbish them for not much more money. Just an idea
post #3 of 11 Old 06-17-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Flat pack kits from DIY sound group would probably better trying to refurbish them for not much more money. Just an idea
I would prefer not to refurbish the Cerwin Vegas as they do not compare to what is available today. Remember these speakers were built back in 1992.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-17-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Please to be taking a look
and HERE please.

Or, did you say you don't want to repair your woofers?
You want to upgrade them to better performers?
That will be tricky, as the crossover will almost certainly need to be redesigned for the new woofers.

You would be better off repairing these and adding a subwoofer.
Or repair these and sell them and apply the proceeds toward a new flatpack kit.

Last edited by PassingInterest; 06-17-2014 at 06:50 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-17-2014, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just have to say, first time I heard a pair of Cerwin Vega speakers was in the mid 80s...man they were impressive.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenwall View Post
I would prefer not to refurbish the Cerwin Vegas as they do not compare to what is available today. Remember these speakers were built back in 1992.

I think one of us is confused by your response.

I thought you were wanted to keep the enclosures and use new speakers in them?

Buying a flat pack kit will give you new enclosure, speakers, crossovers etc...

If you plan on keeping the enclosures to use with a new driver you'll need to find out the cross over points it uses, find the drivers ts parameters way can find closest possible to fit bot size of enclose and crossover points.

Finding a driver that will meet the original's specs is what will take a while and may not sound good after all the searching for said driver.

There are many reasonable priced flat packs that would sound better without worrying about the replacement driver performing correctly. The Vegas enclosure was designed for the drivers that are in it so it replacing them will be a tedious task. Hope that made some sense.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-17-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think one of us is confused by your response.

I thought you were wanted to keep the enclosures and use new speakers in them?

Buying a flat pack kit will give you new enclosure, speakers, crossovers etc...

If you plan on keeping the enclosures to use with a new driver you'll need to find out the cross over points it uses, find the drivers ts parameters way can find closest possible to fit bot size of enclose and crossover points.

Finding a driver that will meet the original's specs is what will take a while and may not sound good after all the searching for said driver.

There are many reasonable priced flat packs that would sound better without worrying about the replacement driver performing correctly. The Vegas enclosure was designed for the drivers that are in it so it replacing them will be a tedious task. Hope that made some sense.
I am sorry if I am confusing others with this request. The aspect of this task is all new to me.

The surrounds could be replaced/refurbished, but the cone on one of the woofers is actually very weak (starting to crack and tear) and I don't see it standing up to alot of use much longer.

I have built a few sub boxes before and have no problem cutting out the port and putting one in that is the proper length to get the best performance for the new woofer. I was hoping to be able to get away with one of the options below:

1) replace the woofer with one for the size of the enclosure and retune the box
2) option 1 plus replacing the crossover if required
3) replace the Woofer, Tweeter, and crossover all together in each enclosure.

Like I said before the speakers I had my eye on were some Polk Monitor 45B which run $200 for a pair, if I could rebuild the speakers completely for a much lower price, I would be happy as that extra money can go to a proper powered subwoofer.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-17-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I just think you are trying to do more than you are capable of doing is all. Replacing drivers and tweeters will mean new crossovers and if you don't know how to build crossovers they won't perform correctly.

My opinion (not worth much) is to buy a couple flat packs from diysoundgroup. Many options to choose from and sell the old ones or just keep them and have the drivers repaired later to keep them like original classics. I used to listen to all the Vegas every time I went into our local home audio/appliance store when was a kid. My mom knew the owner so I could play in the show room as I wanted lol.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-17-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just think you are trying to do more than you are capable of doing is all. Replacing drivers and tweeters will mean new crossovers and if you don't know how to build crossovers they won't perform correctly.

My opinion (not worth much) is to buy a couple flat packs from diysoundgroup. Many options to choose from and sell the old ones or just keep them and have the drivers repaired later to keep them like original classics. I used to listen to all the Vegas every time I went into our local home audio/appliance store when was a kid. My mom knew the owner so I could play in the show room as I wanted lol.
I did start looking at the flat packs during lunch and saw I could get towers (which would look better next to the tv stand) for like $160 a pair or so. As far as the building crossovers, I have someone who could help with all that very easily.

I do love the classic looks of the Cerwin Vegas. I will have to see if CV will allow me to send in the left woofer to have it fully replaced and rebuilt. The right one is in great shape as it was refurbished at the factory back in 2000-2002.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-17-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Replacing the rotting foam is a pretty easy DIY job. Glue can stiffen up any tears or rips in the cone. You can always look for another woofer on epay if the glue doesn't hold. I would do this on the cheap and save $ for another project in the future.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-17-2014, 10:07 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenwall View Post
... As far as the building crossovers, I have someone who could help with all that very easily.
If you have someone who can "easily" build you a custom crossover that will match the woofer and tweeter combination you pick, then I assume that person has worked with building speakers from scratch for years and has many refined suggestions for your specific needs that would also be fairly budget friendly. I wish I had a friend like that. Please take no offense to this : there are few people who can easily throw together a custom crossover that will actually sound good. The crossover is the heart of the speaker, and it's design takes a lot of testing and trial and error to get to work correctly.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page