AVS Forum banner

1099 and MartyCube Build

5K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Wieber86 
#1 ·
I received my three 1099 kits last week and am going to start my build (weather permitting) this weekend. Going for a Paradigm Monitor series look on the 1099s, made from BB with a dark mahogany stain, and white cloth speaker grill. I am also making a matching set of smaller (12" Titanic MK 4) ported subs. These will make up my 3.2 living room set-up.

For my future basement set-up, I am building a set of MartyCubes with the SI HT 15". For those I am hoping to go for a Kef R-Series look made from MDF in a gloss white finish.

For my parents I am building a set of small (10" Titanic MK 3) down firing sealed sub. Those will be satin white with 500W plate amps.

This is my first speaker build so it seems like a lot, but I am hoping it is a lot of fun as well.

Also big thanks to Tux and Erich for designing and making the 1099 available, as well as Donny and LTD02 for all there work on the MartyCube.

And first up is the 1099 crossover...

#7 ·
Good to hear I don't have to change anything, thanks for looking it over Tux.

I layed out the parts on a sheet of blank paper, drew the connections, and took a picture of that. Then using photoshop converted my not so clean pen lines to the ones shown in the picture.

#9 ·
The main reason I laid it out like that is because I will be attempting to make my own PCBs, and to do that I will need to print out the traces.
It's supposed to rain here, again, but I am hoping by the end of the week to be done those. I don't feel like trying, for the first time, to etch boards inside.

#12 ·
She also did the ironing...

Are you attempting the laser printer, clothes iron and muriatic acid method for etching the PCBs? That's cool. Post pictures!
It actually worked fairly well. I will probably have to put a couple of wire jumpers on it, and clean it a bit better, but learned a fair bit about what to do and not do. Going to bring my DMM home from work to check continuity before I solder, but drilled all my holes and laid everything out.

Attachments

#31 ·
How does this work? I have been a lucky a couple of times and have seen the 1099 link active, however when I add to cart, it says I need to add options. I add the options but there is no way to add it to the cart again. It also says Availability: Out of stock. So am I always a little too late, and the speakers that were posted were purchased but the link is still active? :confused: Perhaps it is just a cruel joke that requires me to stare at bigfoot until I cry.

#32 ·
I was hitting the refresh button ever 15-20 minutes since the last time they appeared. Email Erich and let him know you are interested. It is first come first serve and this last time he was able to get enough woofers from PE to put 12 1099s up on the site for sale. He knew I was interested and sent me an email. In 2 hours they were all sold. Subscribe to the "1099 master thread" the "Hey guys we need some rallying thread" and all the build threads. If someone hits refresh and it pops up they will let everyone know (once they buy theirs) Remember this is something Erich does as a hobby though it be a very big one at that. He still has his business to run so you have to keep checking back. Now he has to box up those 12 1099s, get them in the mail, order more woofers, when they come in put them back up on the site and repeat. (all in his spare time)

#33 ·
I got some more work done on the MartyCubes this evening... I set the front baffle back a bit so that my grill will sit flush with the front for a cleaner look, and only thing I am not 100% sure on is where to put the foam. Does it go on just the back port wall? Or on the back port wall as well as the top, bottom, and both sides?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.