AVS Forum banner

speaker build. jtr 2228 performance

3K views 78 replies 14 participants last post by  chalugadp 
#1 ·
hey guys im in the process of building my first set of marty subs and im gona be looking into a speaker build next.

I have looked at many speakers and the one that seems to intrest me the most right now are the jtr noesis 228s.

has anyone built a clone of these speakers or something comparable to them?

im looking to build a L/R/C and ill be using cmt 340s as side surround and cbm 170s as rear surround

thanks for any help

#4 ·
Yes. Jbrown will probably chime in but I think he said the top end of the jtrs was a bit better. I will be hearing both at his gtg. If its for mainly movies I don't think you would hear much of a difference. If you listen to a lot of music you might want to look at using the ae driver.

#9 ·
no not space restricted

I just found the 228s interesting and I don't think my sides and surrounds could keep up with much more output then 228s would have

#11 ·
thanks for the input jbrown that's basically what I was thinking

#12 ·
Yeah I had a chance to hear the 170's last week for about two full days as I helped my buddy put together a system using them as surrounds and the 340's as mains. You'll definitely have to max them out with your AVR to level match them but after hearing them at pretty loud levels I would think they'd work fine with a high sensitivity speaker like a 228HT or Tempest for movies.

#13 ·
Cool what were your impressions of the ascends? Just curious..

#15 ·
where is a good source for info on the temptest?

I see there are different ones like a 10 or 12 etc

#18 ·
wow cool rock is my favorite genre and I love to crank it up.

one thing that I love about my 340s is the tweeter and how it never bothers my ears even when loud for long period of times.

I normally am not a fan of horns especially klipsch but I have that the horns on the 228s are not very fatiguing at all. I hope the temptest has the same attributes in that particular category

as of now im very interested in building 3 of these temptest speakers

#19 ·
if I did it I would prolly just order the flat pack for like 300 bucks, ill still save 1k from buying 228s lol

#20 ·
I was strongly considering 212's or 228's, most likely 228's. I talked to a few people who had been at the GTG where the SEOS speakers and the JTR's were played. I told them my primary focus was movies and I was told that for movies they were very, very close. For music they liked the JTR's more but put them at 90-95% as good for music. For movies they put them even. I went with three Tempests and I'm happy I did. Especially for the money difference.

#21 · (Edited)
I'm really looking forward to getting a chance to compare the 1099's and Tempest up against my 228HT's, but I'm really looking forward to hearing the 1099's. I'll have a chance to compare some Tempest directly against my 228HT's for the entire week before the GTG that I'm hosting. But like Jeff said I think it's a fair assessment to say that the Tempest would be 90-95% of the JTR speakers from the limited listening I was able to get in with the Tempest when I had some in my basement.

#22 ·
nice looks like ill be doing a speaker build soon

I looked at the 1099s but something about the look of them I did not like

#23 ·
any pros cons when comparing the temptest to the 1099s? any specific diffrences?

jbrown is now aware that ill have plenty of subwoofage real soon so u can count full range being a must off the list hahah

#25 ·
Hey what can I say... you just can't have to much subwoofer!

Man with yours being tuned to 15 hz I bet the grenade scene on wwz is just amazing

#27 ·
hahah that's awesome

well it looks ill order these temptest speakers soon.

ill keep researching but im really into this speaker and cant wait to build it to

someone online had built some with an extended base and light colored verneer that looke great, im more of a matte black kind of guy though lol I think it makes em look tough

#28 ·
what have guys been using for a center with the temptest? another temptest would prolly work but id like something that lays horizontal because it would fit better in my space.

any ideas?

#30 ·
ill be able to put it at ear level soon with my new entertainment center

that's seems like a really nice option and at 300 bucks looks even more appealing

ill def be considering this

#34 ·
I don't really know if I can answer that question but one thing I can say is that I have always really enjoyed horn speakers for moves but not so much for music. that's more of a characteristic than an actual performance aspect but its just my 2 cents

#35 ·
I think it also depends on the horn speaker too though, for example I've heard both the Klipsch RF-7II's and Ultra 2 speakers and didn't like them for music. But I've heard both the Tempest and my JTR 228HT's and like both for music, and actually love my 228HT's for music.

#36 ·
yeah I feel the same way about the klipsch speakers. I think there also very harsh sounding.

im really really jealous of your 228s.

the temptest will just have to do for me because the value per dollar factor.

iv never heard the 228s but would love to and hope to one day.

#41 ·
I find with all the seos speakers I've heard they need a little eq with mids and highs for my preference. With the tempest, minion, and fusion mtm they needed about 2 dB's less in 300-800 range. Just a tad aggressive for voices. Then I add 1.5-2 dB's around 3-6k. Use 5-6 peqs to do this.

Could be my room or just my taste. I think would eq I could get tempest to 95% of 228's. Considering price I would be happy with that. Your right Joe that the jtrs I believe will always have that extra something.

I can hear it when you bring them over on Thursday ???

#42 ·
I think almost everyone except for maybe the "what if" guys would be happy with the Tempest. Hell I know I'd be happy with them if I didn't already own the 228HT's, and I'd be the first to admit it if I thought the Tempest sounded better. Because the first thing I'd do is sell my 228HT's and built some Tempest and probably still have a $1000 left over in my pocket!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.