• 1 Post By AudioJosh
  • 2 Post By AudioJosh

post #1 of 14 Old 06-19-2014, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 486
V12 Tower

Trying to figure out how to upload photos from my phone nothing works properly for me any more arg....

Hi guys, here is my contribution to the cause/illness. Ill be finishing them up this week slowly as part of a reduction in my pain medication. I'm waiting on my measurement Mic so do please bear that in mind. Also, typing on my Android phone while laying in bed due to massive withdrawal headache/body pains.

In the meantime I'm going to read up on the changes.

Dimensions are 13"w 11.5"d 42"t iirc. 3.75" x 4.5" single port. Using the eminence 12cx and 1001s, with eminence bcx25 crossover unmodified for now. Had am lpad on it for texting but not required unless you are going to use it outdoors or in a massive room where the bass side of things would be unequal compared to the treble output.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140615_203345.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	125762

Name:	20140615_203416.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	125770

Name:	20140615_224452.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	125778

Name:	20140616_125619.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	125786

Name:	20140616_183150.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	125794

The intent of these speakers is to be used in a home setting with 50w or less (5w testing stereo is fine in my livingroom). The person who had me build these doesn't have floor space for a sub and was sick of his logitech computer set and less than clear dialogue in movies. The speakers are excursion limited around 50w unless crossed at 80hz then you can pretty much blast on right up to the max 250wrms...not that any sane person requires that.

Feet are some rubber boat trailer bow rollers that are going to be cut in half to help isolate the speaker from the floor (apartment dweller at his next posting), as well as raise the center of the woofer to more or less ear height form the average sofa, or just below ear height if at a computer chair.

Didn't want a sub, so he's going to run these full range with an eq boost to the bottom end a bit. Using the speakers in this manner in my livingroom is very pleasant. I used a few different programs for the box design and tuning of the port ended up being around 50hz if I'm not mistaken. I would have liked to make the box deeper but he had his reasons. And said he might want to put them behind a sofa down the road and attempt to do some fusions up front.

I'm genuinely impressed in the clarity if these things, and cost! Right around 225 a speaker (he had rona cut the wood and their saw eliminated a huge amount of the veneer so I had to trim off allot). If you don't screw up like that I would think under 200 a speaker is very possible. I want to make some more in a large bookshelf format that would save wood and be surround mounting friendly.

For other Canadians looking for these Ports I bought them for 2.50ea from sayall in Barrie. They also have nearly everything there to roll your own crossovers except for the inductors.

I'm going to finish it in Watco Dark Walnut Danish Oil, as Roger liked the way my Tempest 12's looked and said that would be nice.
Smittyfit likes this.

Last edited by pokeme; 06-19-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-20-2014, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Name:	20140619_213150.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	128033

Ok anyone else find this a hassle to do on a phone? Mines a 5.3" can't imagine anything smaller running the silly full desktop mode to Getty anything done.

Anyway, hope to get another few coats on tonight and then assemble tomorrow.

Ill do a side by side with my Polk rti8 if anyone cares. Can also compare them to the tempest but I can already say the CD in this is somewhat different sounding, not bad, just not polyamide.
Smittyfit likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-20-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 25
pokeme -> WOW nice work dude! How did you do that finish on the speaker? It looks awesome!!

I would love to hear your comparison. I'm a noob to DIY but going to be getting into it heavy... are you using a tweeter? What is your take on the soundwave speakers at DIYSOUND? Say the fusion10 for example? What is your opinion on the eminence woofers?

Hope to hear from you! And again nice build!
post #4 of 14 Old 06-20-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyfit View Post
pokeme -> WOW nice work dude! How did you do that finish on the speaker? It looks awesome!!

I would love to hear your comparison. I'm a noob to DIY but going to be getting into it heavy... are you using a tweeter? What is your take on the soundwave speakers at DIYSOUND? Say the fusion10 for example? What is your opinion on the eminence woofers?

Hope to hear from you! And again nice build!

It's really easy to get that finish Its just maple veneer 3/4" plywood and I stand it down all over till smooth with 220 grit on the random orbital 5". Then pick your watco "Danish oil" basically stain and thinner, rub on, wait 30 min, wipe off and repeat till you are happy with the colour.

These 12cx woofer have the tweeter/compression driver in the middle behind their dustcap with a smallish horn that then uses the woofer as the other part of the horn. If these speakers were mine I would cut off the dustcap and attempt to smooth out the transition.

The Tempest 12's that reside in my basement are really really nice. Like headphones for the whole family is the best way I can describe the sensation of being immersed in a movie/music. I actually prefer them for music myself, in 2ch (with my helper sub stands). I like electronic and classic rock and some disco, classical, no head smashing stuff.

The eminence woofers seem to be good value but $$$ is the limit, you can get better for sure but I doubt I would be able to tell that much difference except in the wallet. Where I cheated on these ones (the crossover) is where you will find most of the value in good DIY kits IMHO.

Good luck on the DIY adventure.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-20-2014, 07:36 AM

pokeme -> Thanks a lot!! My budget is small so I was thinking going with the fusion4 but may do the fusion 10... When you say helper sub stands, are they subwoofers that are stands for the speakers? If so that is a cool idea, and let me know what designed you picked.

My favourite is rock hahaha, head smashing awesomeness! lol

Do the speakers have chest punch?

Cheers
post #6 of 14 Old 06-20-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
pokeme -> Thanks a lot!! My budget is small so I was thinking going with the fusion4 but may do the fusion 10... When you say helper sub stands, are they subwoofers that are stands for the speakers? If so that is a cool idea, and let me know what designed you picked.

My favourite is rock hahaha, head smashing awesomeness! lol

Do the speakers have chest punch?

Cheers

I doubt you will be disappointed but do bear in mind most of the designs really do need a subwoofer (maybe not for rock, but movies definitely benefit). The fusion 12 definitely offer plenty of punch lol I stit about 10ft back max hehe.

Yes, subs that are stands for my inverted speakers. If you look at some of my other posts or in my gallery there are shots in there May you feel inspired. I just rolled my own design that's for sub 50hz as the Tempest 12 does just fine up till that point but likes a bit of a boost in the bottom end, plus I really like my bass run hot. I just picked up a calibration mic and will try to get some sweeps in my theater done so I can see how deaf I'm making myself or if I can optimize the setup with some phase changes to the subs.

I've attached the latest and final wiped down coat of the cabinets for Roger (I wanted them to be decent because he's leaving the shop and the parting gifts at work are generally....poor).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wiped down final coat.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	128969  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeme View Post
I doubt you will be disappointed but do bear in mind most of the designs really do need a subwoofer (maybe not for rock, but movies definitely benefit). The fusion 12 definitely offer plenty of punch lol I stit about 10ft back max hehe.

Yes, subs that are stands for my inverted speakers. If you look at some of my other posts or in my gallery there are shots in there May you feel inspired. I just rolled my own design that's for sub 50hz as the Tempest 12 does just fine up till that point but likes a bit of a boost in the bottom end, plus I really like my bass run hot. I just picked up a calibration mic and will try to get some sweeps in my theater done so I can see how deaf I'm making myself or if I can optimize the setup with some phase changes to the subs.

I've attached the latest and final wiped down coat of the cabinets for Roger (I wanted them to be decent because he's leaving the shop and the parting gifts at work are generally....poor).
Rock music's lowest note is typically 38hz, but the punch is ~80hz, so speakers tuned to 50-60hz give the most whack. But you might want subs for classical, EDM or movies. That is my own balance. Try to tune speakers to 50hz and supplement with subs for the first octave and a half.
pokeme likes this.

JoshK on most other audio forums
post #8 of 14 Old 06-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

I know you said you wanted to learn cabinet making at its finest. Next time I suggest doing a veneer, it really looks a ton better, not knocking your work, but its the difference between DIY and pro aesthetics. I have a little bit of experience so I can help.
pokeme likes this.

post #9 of 14 Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 PM

AudioJosh -> Please tell me more about the veneer. I need to finish my speakers perfectly. Would really appreciate it!

pokeme -> this program is not user friendly... I do not know how to see the pics... I think my next project will be subwoofers as stands.

Thanks!
post #10 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
I know you said you wanted to learn cabinet making at its finest. Next time I suggest doing a veneer, it really looks a ton better, not knocking your work, but its the difference between DIY and pro aesthetics. I have a little bit of experience so I can help.
I wanted to do veneer, but my coworker insisted that we use plywood because the factory must apply the finish better......anyway, I told him that it has a much higher chance of chipping. Especially this junk.

The last ones I did with the plywood aren't recognizable as plywood until you see the grain isn't the same in some spots where the factory joined the veneer.

Anyway, for next time it will be on my terms so it's going to be a cool veneer.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
AudioJosh -> Please tell me more about the veneer. I need to finish my speakers perfectly. Would really appreciate it!

pokeme -> this program is not user friendly... I do not know how to see the pics... I think my next project will be subwoofers as stands.

Thanks!
I'm no expert, but I've had failures and successes. First pick a paper backed veneer your first go, don't try the fancy non-backed burl type, it won't be a happy experience, those are for those who have a *lot* of practice and the right equipment.

First cut the pieces to be a bit larger than the area to cover. I'd go for about 1/4" longer in both lengths. I really like the iron on method as it is the most fool proof. Basically paint both the paper backing of the veneer with regular wood glue (one coat). And the speaker substrate you intend to veneer (a little thicker). Let it dry so that it is dry to the touch completely. Put the veneer carefully on the speaker. Because it is dry you can move it around to get it right. Now take your iron and start in the middle and move slowly towards the outside. Make sure you don't burn the veneer, you might test on scraps first. But if you move slowly you shouldn't burn it but heat the glue enough to melt.

After you have gone over all the area and you are confident that it is properly stuck on, I gently test the edges, and there isn't any bubbles or creases (that is why you start in the middle and work outwards), let it dry. I let it dry overnight usually, but atleast quite a few hours. Then you trim the edges carefully. There is lots of methods for trimming and each person likes their own method. I haven't been successful with router+trim bit, so I just use an exacto knife, a steady hand and a downward cutting motion (don't pull up, push down). That has worked very well for me.

Pro-tip. If the surface isn't perfectly flat you will risk bubbles, so if need be use some kind of filler to level it out perfectly. I like Johnson's water putty as it is easy to work with and sand. I use it on all the seams in the wood and it doesn't hurt treating the cut edges of any MDF so you don't get expansion.
Boxozaxu and pokeme like this.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

When you have some time I can feed and water you for a day while you teach me something interesting.

Set up the speakers, had a nap, chilling with kids so maybe tomorrow I will get a coupe rew measurements with the speakers pointed to the sky if motivation is higher than I expect. If I an doing this indoors a near field of the coaxial going to produce anything atty all useful?

Name:	20140621_163737.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	130194

Last edited by pokeme; 06-21-2014 at 07:30 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Just fooled around in the garage for a couple minutes trying out the toy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12cx 1001s nearfield in garage.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	130426   Click image for larger version

Name:	12cx 1001s in garage chinese amp.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	130434  
post #14 of 14 Old 06-22-2014, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

If anyone is looking for robust, kinda different and very cheap feet for their speakers I bought some of the V shaped rollers used on the front of boat trailers for the bow. Cut them in half and then hollow out the hole a bit so that a screw and washer will sit below the level of the bottom of the foot (so as to not scratch your floor).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140621_145233.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	130610  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page